Perry Mason, HBO

This topic is 1041 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 1 month later...

It keeps getting better each week but only 2 more episodes to go. There’s depth to the characters from the original series. Perry is a detective to start with some dark memories of WWI. Della Street is a lesbian. Paul Drake is a cop. The plot thickens minute to minute. The casting and acting is superb. I’ve not gotten so involved in a series like this since True Detective’s first season. Confession: I’ve been a Matthew Rhys fan since the series Brothers and Sisters. FWIW NYTimes does an excellent recap of each episode although you have to search for it in the on-line edition.

• 11 months later...

I am about half way through the first season. It keeps me interested in the unfolding mystery. I like that the story is told over an entire season instead of each episode being self contained. As said before, this is in essence a prequel. Perry Mason is a private detective prior to being an attorney. It is set in LA in the early 1930s. The characters are more filled out than in the 50s television series.

Matthew Rhys is good as Mason. John Lithgow plays Mason's "mentor" who frequently hires him for legal cases. Lithgow always pleasantly surprises me in serious roles. 

I am hopeful for a second season, but I need to get through this one first.