Massage in a mask

Eddie Morales
This topic is 1455 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone done it or plan on it? I wonder if both the client and the masseur wore a mask, if that would make them both feel safer. But obviously safety comes first, a massage wouldn’t be worth it if one or both got sick. Thoughts?

Gave in to the urge. We both had masks on. It was worth it for my mental health. Hey, I can catch it at the grocery store. Might as well be doing something I love and gives me joy.

I cannot imagine wearing a mask over my nose and mouth and being facedown in a head rest.

This is what I envision EVdude. Definitely not wearing a mask face down. What are we to suffocate altogether? I would want a clean paper towel placed over my headrest when I'm face down. I'd be OK wearing a mask when face up and the masseur may choose to wear one as well. I'm not concerned about the body massaging. No face or head (that's the head above the neck) massage for me. We'll assume the massage bed and other touch points will have been cleaned upon my arrival. I'll feel safer in a private masseur's apartment as opposed to a more heavily trafficked public spa at least for start-up. Everything has conditions. I believe that we can make it work safely. Are we never to take public transportation again? The trains are cleaner now than they've ever been and not crowded.

Very sensible, Redwine! I'm visiting one of my regulars on Saturday (my first massage since March 15, when the virus was raging, but we didn't realize it, and NYC wasn't locked down yet). No masks, but he's going to take my temperature (and his) before we start. No kissing, either. We know each, we trust each other , we have socialized outdoors (six feet apart, wearing masks) during this craziness. His apartment usually is spotless, and will be even cleaner and more sanitized than ever.

I've been thinking about going to see a guy here in Houston, based on his pictures and narrative on MF. I have been corresponding with him. He says we both wear masks when I am face up; he wears a mask the entire time. When I am face down, the face cradle is covered with a disposable cover. The table is covered with a disposable sheet. Shower before and after. He says all touch points are sanitized/disinfected before and after. Very tempting. https://www.masseurfinder.com/massage-therapists/39390/

I‘ve seen on facebook some people using tarp or shower curtains and cutting out inserts for a pair of 2 arm inserts so they can “cuddle” with loved ones while maintaining some sort of barrier. i wonder if any massage therapists would adopt this concept?

Scott, I think the biggest risk you will be taking is traveling to William, who sounds like a prudent and careful person.It would help, of course, if you've been with him before, or know of someone who has. I just emailed another of my regulars (a bit of a health nut) who replied that he's been laying low, but looks forward to seeing me when I feel that I'm ready -- which I think I will be soon.

I think that my massage on Saturday that I referred to in the post just above yours, and the one you are contemplating sound fairly similar.

Everyone is welcome to make their own choices but when I hear things like “I know them” to insinuate that they are safer is a mistake. I’ve had COVID and was around people “I knew”. Fortunately symptoms didn’t require a hospital visit and now I have antibodies. But if I am with a stranger or even someone I know who is also seeing multiple other strangers up close, I’d want him to wear a mask.