"Werther"

Charlie
This topic is 1453 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

After many days of cold, wet windy weather, suddenly today the sky is blue, the breeze is light, and the temperature is rising. As I walked to the mailbox just now, all that I kept hearing in my head was, "Pourquoi me reveiller, O souffle du printemps...?"

I saw Werther in Sydney with Michael Fabiano the year before last. Sensational.

• 2 weeks later...

For me Werther is a step too far. He shoots himself in the gut and takes forever to expire. Several years ago Kaufman was the Werther in the Met Live in HD broadcast. Several minutes after shooting himself the sound in our theater went silent. The rest of the performance was like watching a very colorful 1920’s silent movie without the tiny piano. More interesting in a way.

• 1 month later...
For me Werther is a step too far. He shoots himself in the gut and takes forever to expire. Several years ago Kaufman was the Werther in the Met Live in HD broadcast. Several minutes after shooting himself the sound in our theater went silent. The rest of the performance was like watching a very colorful 1920’s silent movie without the tiny piano. More interesting in a way.

He was REALLY good. But Sophie Koch was very mediocre...

I saw that performance at the Met, not in a local theater. Hey it was Kauffmann. Glad to have seen in person.