Masseur Qualifications

Kody S
This topic is 1526 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My experience with masseurs has been so wildly varied over the years that claims of years of experience on websites such as MF and RM ring hollow. However, I’ve wondered how seriously the websites themselves vet applicants’ claims of experience or licensing they agree to advertise. Different states have different requirements for advertising massage and I suppose different websites hosted in different countries are variously permissive or restrictive. Have had a string of “less-than” massages lately and can’t imagine any of these guys had training of any kind and if they did it was abysmal or they should have failed the class. On the other hand, it is very clear when some of the very best massages I’ve had come from those who have superb training and experience. So my question, is “buyer beware” our best shot at a good experience made more secure by consulting shared experiences on this site?

If memory serves from one of my convos with a provider, RM requires them to send a picture of their certificate to verify they are licensed. That doesn't stop someone from printing out their own MS Word certificate, but it's as close as they're going to get to actually verifying the credentials, given the site's real purpose.

I mostly agree with poolboy, but I think if someone says they are certified I put perhaps slightly more stock in them ending up being a good masseur. At the end of the day, I think feedback I see here on the forum is more valuable than any listing of a certificate. My experience has been that the feedback guys post on here about the massage quality is always reliable... the extras people might mention are always taken with the YMMV caveat.