Toy Boy on Netflix

This topic is 1354 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the young lawyer's acting (and lines) that are the biggest flaw of the series (I had to fast forward through her screen time a couple of times not to scream).

I'm curious: did you watch it in Spanish no subtitles, in Spanish with subtitles, or dubbed into English? The framed stripper & his sugarmama were pretty awful as well, but yeah, the worst acting job of all was the lawyer. The same actress was also in Élite, a Netflix series I just finished binging, and she wasn't that bad. I think her lines were better written in Élite, which certainly helps.

While Toy Boy's ratings during its broadcast run on Spain's Antena 3 were pretty weak, the series is enjoying a second life on Netflix. It's the number 9 most popular series on Netflix in the US, number 3 in Spain, and in the top 10 in many other countries. As awful as it was, I confess that I'm crossing my fingers for a Season 2. I just wanna see my sexy Germán as much as possible, wearing as little as possible.

You know @BSR I'm not sure I really know how awful this show really is. I don't speak Spanish but I've lived in the Rio Grand Valley on he border of Mexico for a decade where nearly all of my friends and neighbors are bilingual switching effortlessly (and often) between languages frequently mid-sentence. I watched Toy Boy dubbed in English with English subtitles (cuz I could use a hearing aid or two). What I noticed was not only were there frequent discrepancies between the dubbed and the subtitled English but on rare occasions when I could lipread the actors, the words I could discern only vaguely matched either the dubbed or subtitled English. I guess only my friends and neighbors can judge whether the actors were faithful to the Spanish script. I just hope like you that they clean up these discrepancies so I can focus on being titillated by the eye candy of Jairo, and Hugo and Germán. [swoon}

You know @BSR I'm not sure I really know how awful this show really is. I don't speak Spanish but I've lived in the Rio Grand Valley on he border of Mexico for a decade where nearly all of my friends and neighbors are bilingual switching effortlessly (and often) between languages frequently mid-sentence. I watched Toy Boy dubbed in English with English subtitles (cuz I could use a hearing aid or two). What I noticed was not only were there frequent discrepancies between the dubbed and the subtitled English but on rare occasions when I could lipread the actors, the words I could discern only vaguely matched either the dubbed or subtitled English. I guess only my friends and neighbors can judge whether the actors were faithful to the Spanish script. I just hope like you that they clean up these discrepancies so I can focus on being titillated by the eye candy of Jairo, and Hugo and Germán. [swoon}

I watched Toy Boy in its original Spanish, but out of curiosity, I watched a couple of scenes with English dubbing. Eek! It was awful!! Rather, it was even more awful.

I also watched some bits with English subtitles. As is so often the case, I thought the translations were a bit off. I assume the same translations were used for the dubbing dialogue.

In any case, none of us are watching Toy Boy for the scripts & dialogue. The series' roaring success on Netflix seems to have caught the industry by surprise, but the good news for us guilty-pleasure fans is that renewal is looking more & more likely. The producers know what made the show something of a phenomenon: the beauty & glamour of Marbella, the cheesey-good dance numbers, and smokin' hot guys showing a lot of skin. Sh*t, I'm hoping for a second season just way too much *buriesheadinshame*

• 4 months later...

Sorry for reviving this thread from March, but I finally finished Toy Boy. I had guessed the identity of the actual murderer about half-way through. The men were attractive, but the strippers only stripped down to speedos which I found quite annoying. How dare they call themselves strippers? :) I counted three quick butt shots and a little side-breast from one of females over thirteen episodes, but that was about all there was for nudity, despite every episode carrying the nudity disclaimer. I had high hopes after making my way through three seasons of Elite, which I really enjoyed and which has been mentioned in other threads under this topic. This took me a while because I only allow myself to watch Netflix while on the treadmill and an hour a day is about all I can handle.

Hey everybody! I haven't posted fo' a minnit, but a thread about Toy Boy brought me back! :)

First of all, ignore everything dealing with the police, the murders, and the murder investigations. Stupid AF.

Second, do NOT listen to it in English. Listen in Spanish, read in English.

Third, prepare your eyeballs for a feast. Although the actors playing strippers were not all my "type," they were ALL beautiful men.

But THIS is the reason to watch this show:

Jairo (and his relationship with Andrea.)

Holy shit is Carlo Costanzia FINE. DAYUM! Jairo, his character, has this very endearing, sweet, lovable, little-boy/puppy-dog quality that I found much more believable than any of the plot. Jairo and Andrea are the two youngest characters, and maybe that's why they are willing to give love an honest try. I'm not ashamed to admit that I re-watched Carlo's scenes MANY times. He's just delicious. Ivan and German are quite good-looking as well, but Jairo is the heart-stealer.

And folks, if you have not yet seen God's Own Country, WATCH IT TODAY. NOW. It became my #1 favorite movie only about halfway through. In some ways, Jairo is Gheorghe's "brother from another mother." Just watch it. You'll see what I mean.

T