What's the most money you've lost in the stock market?

twinkboylover28
This topic is 5924 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The first stock I ever bought was Iomega (a data storage device maker). I put in a modest sum just before the stock spiked due to a short squeeze. Six weeks later it was up tenfold. Stupid me didn't realize that was a screaming call to sell; by the time I did I only got out twice what I put in. It didn't suck to double my money in such short a period, but of course I was left feeling like I "lost" a whole lot more.

Later I worked at one of the big high-techs during its heyday and had very generous options. Unfortunately by the time I exercised and sold their value dropped a digit. Arrgh.

My current favorite holdings are FXI (tracks the Chinese blue chips) and the Vice Fund (invests exclusively in booze, smokes, guns and gambling-- and is doing quite well at it).

Kevin Slater

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Havan_IronOak

>As long as you don't sell, you ain't lost it. ;-)

Oh if only that we're true... I made an unwise purchase of MCI years ago. Actually I did sell it at the very end but I had to call the broker first and make sure they wouldn't bill me for the amount that the $9.95 commission exceeded the value of the stock!

Since Halloween I'm down about $100K on a $500K portfolio but I expect that by mid year I'll be back in the black as investors recover their common sense.

I had 100,000 shares of SIRI a few months ago.

Now my entire portfolio consists of 30,000 shares of SIRI, which was trading as low as $2.51 the other day. :(

I'm never borrowing on margin again!

At this rate, SIRI would need to hit $20-per-share in order for me to recover my losses. LOL

Like that is ever gonna happen.

Oh well...at least I'm alive.

Not to mention I recently lost my job (MICHIGAN has the HIGHEST unemployment rate in the country) so I have NO INCOME, no health insurance, and no savings.

I had to move back with my Mom, and all I have left to survive is about $75,000 from my stock portfolio (and I dont want to dip into that at all).

Very scary times for me since it's near impossible to find a new job around here with a broadcast-radio background, even with a 4-year BA degree. Plus my "health" conditions just make things worse.

2008 has started off very poorly for me, and I dont see much hope...

Sometimes ago, I learned through work that you should invest 50-70 percent of portfolio in stock, 20-30 percent in fixed income, 10-20 in cash or money market.

In hard times, my investment does not go up like a kite but has not fallen through the bottom. I have not yet checked the investments and how it is reacting for the last couple days. I am very conservative. Overall, I felt pretty good about my investment or my retirement.

Guest Wetnwildbear

Due to the economic downturn I had to sell

my most valuable possession.

I sold my Genuine Authenticated Certified Sweat-Soaked,

Piss-Stained, Cum-Caked, Signed and Numbered Jock & Cup from the

Greg Louganis Collection as Worn By Mario Lopez - New From Sears!

PS - I figure I lost 40K in the last 3wks

Archived