Is it even worth posting in Thailand?

TylerandAce
This topic is 1543 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest LeonTrotsky
So, we've decided 4 nights in Bangkok, 3 nights in Chiang Mai, 3 nights in Krabi, and 3 nights in Phuket. I've found a ferry that gets us from Krabi to Phuket through the Phi Phi Islands, so we will do some stuff there. Now we just have to book all the hotels and excursions! whew!

i am very happy you decided to include chiang man in your plans..... when you are there you must try the local specialty "kaol soi" and i will give you the location of my favorite family run place for you to enjoy it.

please share with me your details for where you will stay and ask me if you need help with arranging transportation and other details. make sure you download GRAB app on your phone before you go.... it is like uber but better, haha

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am very happy you decided to include chiang man in your plans..... when you are there you must try the local specialty "kaol soi" and i will give you the location of my favorite family run place for you to enjoy it.

please share with me your details for where you will stay and ask me if you need help with arranging transportation and other details. make sure you download GRAB app on your phone before you go.... it is like uber but better, haha

GRAB sounds like a good plan! lol. Trying to make a decision now about hotels. Should we stay super modern and trendy at the LeMeridien or more traditional at the Ping Nakara or inside the old city at Bodhi Serene?

I get to BKK tomorrow. Beware @LeonTrotsky! Years ago a Thai friend referred me to the mystery novels of John Burdett. His detective is a BKK cop who was conceived in a BKK bordello visited by a US GI on R&R during the Vietnam war. He has a foot in both cultures and frequently stops to offer an aside the explains a unique aspect of Thai culture germane to the plot. He also stops to point out which street has the best street food vendors for the dish described. My friend claims that comments Burdett puts in the voice of his detective are all quite accurate. They are available on Amazon in a variety of formats including Kindle or Audible. Just the right thing for a long, very long, flight? But beware: the plots are often quite gruesome.

I get to BKK tomorrow.

Friends who just returned from Thailand this week said the trip was ruined by the corona & that it was a nightmare......not many ppl around....those who were, were hesitant to engage, etc., etc.....

also a research institute in Israel that I’m connected with put out a new travel advisory for all staff, researchers & students -

“”If possible, avoid travel to China, Hong-Kong, Macau, Singapore, S Korea, Taiwan and Thailand.””

(I actually have a simple flight connection through Incheon Airport / Seoul next week....already have face masks to put in my carry-on & wear when I wander around that airport).....meanwhile I have also asked my assistant to look into re-routing options & avoid this flight connection entirely.....

Friends who just returned from Thailand this week said the trip was ruined by the corona & that it was a nightmare......not many ppl around....those who were, were hesitant to engage, etc., etc.....

also a research institute in Israel that I’m connected with put out a new travel advisory for all staff, researchers & students -

“”If possible, avoid travel to China, Hong-Kong, Macau, Singapore, S Korea, Taiwan and Thailand.””

(I actually have a simple flight connection through Incheon Airport / Seoul next week....already have face masks to put in my carry-on & wear when I wander around that airport).....meanwhile I have also asked my assistant to look into re-routing options & avoid this flight connection entirely.....

Thanks???

Guest LeonTrotsky
GRAB sounds like a good plan! lol. Trying to make a decision now about hotels. Should we stay super modern and trendy at the LeMeridien or more traditional at the Ping Nakara or inside the old city at Bodhi Serene?

Stay in the old city .... "inside the moat"... It gives you a real taste for Chiang Mai. It is walkable, full of stuff to see and do., and kinda charming in a ramshackle way.

Do NOT miss a side trip to Dou Suthep! It is a mountaintop temple, about 20 minutes out of the city, and worth several hours. Also, try to go to Khao Soi Khun Yai (ร้านข้าวซอยคุณยาย) for lunch..... they only really serve one dish -it is the chiang man specialty, and it is good!

By the way.... outside of the main tourist-focused places, Thai people really speak very little english - just be prepared for that - google translate is your friend!

I'd suggest steering clear of China for awhile, but for the time being, Thailand/S.Korea/Japan are safe (with precaution).

Masks don't make a difference unless you're already sick. Just wash your hands frequently, keep them away from your face/eyes, use sanitizer liberally and be cognisant of any oncoming symptoms.

Stay in the old city .... "inside the moat"... It gives you a real taste for Chiang Mai. It is walkable, full of stuff to see and do., and kinda charming in a ramshackle way.

Do NOT miss a side trip to Dou Suthep! It is a mountaintop temple, about 20 minutes out of the city, and worth several hours. Also, try to go to Khao Soi Khun Yai (ร้านข้าวซอยคุณยาย) for lunch..... they only really serve one dish -it is the chiang man specialty, and it is good!

By the way.... outside of the main tourist-focused places, Thai people really speak very little english - just be prepared for that - google translate is your friend!

Thanks for that! We can’t wait. The side trip advice is very helpful!! You’re the best

I'd suggest steering clear of China for awhile, but for the time being, Thailand/S.Korea/Japan are safe (with precaution).

Masks don't make a difference unless you're already sick. Just wash your hands frequently, keep them away from your face/eyes, use sanitizer liberally and be cognisant of any oncoming symptoms.

Will second that. We have a much, much higher likelihood of dying frim the flu.

Phuket town itself is very touristy and not much to look at, but outside of town on the peninsula there are lots of choices. My favourite is Paresa (https://www.paresaresorts.com/) if you feel like a splurge. And if you like day trips would highly highly recommend this one

https://www.johngray-seacanoe.com/trips/thailand/day-trips/hong-by-starlight.html

we did not even go to Phuket Town while there.....and didn't feel any need to......I think the main reason to go there (??) is to catch boats that head off to the popular and scenic islands to the east.......

the airport for Phuket is at the north end of the island and the popular west-facing beaches/resorts are scattered about a ways south of the airport.....Phuket Town is at the island's far southeast corner, so not particularly convenient (unless you're doing a boat trip to those popular islands offshore)

I assume people are talking about Patong in Phuket-- a place with very few appealing or attractive features.

don't know about the others, but I was talking about Phuket Town (SE corner of island) in my post just upthread......Patong's Bangla Street was actually fun for us for an evening of strolling and gawking amid the loud music and people-watching.....

map_phuket.jpg

Phuket town itself is very touristy and not much to look at, but outside of town on the peninsula there are lots of choices. My favourite is Paresa (https://www.paresaresorts.com/) if you feel like a splurge. And if you like day trips would highly highly recommend this one

https://www.johngray-seacanoe.com/trips/thailand/day-trips/hong-by-starlight.html

Thanks! checking it out now. Looks fantastic :)

Guest LeonTrotsky

Straying a tiny bit off topic here, but this is worth seeing before you go - it is a trailer for a film.... shown in mainstream cinemas.... a few years back:

I get all teary eyed when I watch it....