Is it even worth posting in Thailand?

TylerandAce
This topic is 1529 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Reading here on the forum and a few blogs about the plethora of affordable local "talent" available in all of Thailand, especially Bangkok, is it even worth the effort of posting for hire while we are there in April? I see several listings on RM in that area, but for those who've been there and tried to work, what should we expect?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LeonTrotsky

Very little.

RM is generally unknown in Bangkok, for example... Almost everyone uses their phones for everything and that site seems to feature only guys way more expensive than the market will allow for and also guys who are just passing through. Very little hiring is actually done via web sites - you can try but I suggest go with low expectations.

(and, quite honestly, most people who are hiring in thailand are not looking for farang...)

Very little.

RM is generally unknown in Bangkok, for example... Almost everyone uses their phones for everything and that site seems to feature only guys way more expensive than the market will allow for and also guys who are just passing through. Very little hiring is actually done via web sites - you can try but I suggest go with low expectations.

(and, quite honestly, most people who are hiring in thailand are not looking for farang...)

gotcha. thanks. Clients are hiring at the bars/clubs?

Guest LeonTrotsky
gotcha. thanks. Clients are hiring at the bars/clubs?

sawasdee, krup....

exactly right - and via massage studios and certain saunas that cater specifically to people looking to hire - remember BKK is a huge city and sometimes hard to get around - where are you staying? that will help to know how to give advice!

sawasdee, krup....

exactly right - and via massage studios and certain saunas that cater specifically to people looking to hire - remember BKK is a huge city and sometimes hard to get around - where are you staying? that will help to know how to give advice!

Looking for advice on that. Thinking somewhere in Bangkok for a few days, then Pattaya before heading to Phuket.

Guest LeonTrotsky
Looking for advice on that. Thinking somewhere in Bangkok for a few days, then Pattaya before heading to Phuket.

ok ok

is this your first visit? it is my home city so i can offer much information.... when are you going to be there? and what level of noise/excitement are you looking for? (and.... honestly.... why pattaya and phuket, haha...?)

at some point maybe we go private but maybe other forum members want to know about this too.

Yep...first time for both of us. Bangkok because of my (Ace) day job. Staying over for a while. Pattaya because it's near Bangkok and seems to be concentrated gay with a gay beach and gay tourist area. Phuket because I've always wanted to see it. Definitely open to suggestions, though.!

Guest LeonTrotsky

OK.... wow, how exciting for the two of you. I hope you will ;enjoy the street food that is the best thai food you will find in the world. If you do not like spicy, just say "mai pet, krub"

I would suggest that you stay in the Silom area because it is convenient to so many places, both daytime and night-time attractions. Sanuk mark mark! There are some nice smaller hotels in the area too instead of the big chains that you might like to try.

Pattaya is so-so to me... but if you go stay in Jomtien Complex area, near to nightlife and to the Dongtan Beach.

I do not like Phuket - and I would recommend Koh Samui to you instead, but that is just me, hah!

OK.... wow, how exciting for the two of you. I hope you will ;enjoy the street food that is the best thai food you will find in the world. If you do not like spicy, just say "mai pet, krub"

I would suggest that you stay in the Silom area because it is convenient to so many places, both daytime and night-time attractions. Sanuk mark mark! There are some nice smaller hotels in the area too instead of the big chains that you might like to try.

Pattaya is so-so to me... but if you go stay in Jomtien Complex area, near to nightlife and to the Dongtan Beach.

I do not like Phuket - and I would recommend Koh Samui to you instead, but that is just me, hah!

Good information! Thank you so much. Yes, we were looking at the Jomtien Complex area. Great suggestion for Koh Samui. We have read that Phuket is completely overrun with tourists. Another question....there is no nude beach scene, right?

Guest LeonTrotsky
Good information! Thank you so much. Yes, we were looking at the Jomtien Complex area. Great suggestion for Koh Samui. We have read that Phuket is completely overrun with tourists. Another question....there is no nude beach scene, right?

In Jomtien Complex I would suggest Agate Hotel....

And, yes, Phuket is totally overrun with tourists and mafia style taxi driver rip offs, haha...

Samui is much more beautiful and there is an easy flight from Bangkok if you do not want to do overnight train and ferry.

Sometimes people are surprised when I say this, but Thai people are really very shy and conservative in many ways and you will not see nudity on a beach.... Sometimes when european ladies remove their tops it is very unusual to thai people. Also public displays of affection should not take place. It is not polite.

what time of year will you go? and if you have more questions, i love to talk about thailand!

In Jomtien Complex I would suggest Agate Hotel....

And, yes, Phuket is totally overrun with tourists and mafia style taxi driver rip offs, haha...

Samui is much more beautiful and there is an easy flight from Bangkok if you do not want to do overnight train and ferry.

Sometimes people are surprised when I say this, but Thai people are really very shy and conservative in many ways and you will not see nudity on a beach.... Sometimes when european ladies remove their tops it is very unusual to thai people. Also public displays of affection should not take place. It is not polite.

what time of year will you go? and if you have more questions, i love to talk about thailand!

Understood...have read something like that about the public displays and nudity on beaches. Thanks for the information. If you have a favorite place to stay in Koh Samui, I'll certainly take recommendations. I may also DM you with other questions if it's not an imposition. We arrive March 29 and depart April 12

I am just back from a 20-day Asia cruise that included stops in Phuket and Pattaya (Well near Pattaya). FWIW, I thought Phuket as a town was a total dump. I gather there are some nice beaches outside of town. I'm not really a beach person anymore so I didn't see those. I saw nothing attractive or redeeming about the town of Phuket. I couldn't wait to get back to the ship.

I found Pattaya much nicer. I would be more inclined to return there than to Phuket. Anyway, just my thoughts. YMMV of course.

I am just back from a 20-day Asia cruise that included stops in Phuket and Pattaya (Well near Pattaya). FWIW, I thought Phuket as a town was a total dump. I gather there are some nice beaches outside of town. I'm not really a beach person anymore so I didn't see those. I saw nothing attractive or redeeming about the town of Phuket. I couldn't wait to get back to the ship.

I found Pattaya much nicer. I would be more inclined to return there than to Phuket. Anyway, just my thoughts. YMMV of course.

Thank you... I guess the things we've been reading are more true, then. Appreciate the info!

Guest LeonTrotsky
Understood...have read something like that about the public displays and nudity on beaches. Thanks for the information. If you have a favorite place to stay in Koh Samui, I'll certainly take recommendations. I may also DM you with other questions if it's not an imposition. We arrive March 29 and depart April 12

Just two thoughts jump out!

March/April is very very hot so be prepared, ok?

Also: April 15 Songkran.... Thai New Year... and the whole country goes crazy for a week - it is a nationwide water fight, haha, but also a time when Thai people return to their home villages so all the roads are very very crowded.... because your dates are close, make your plans in advance, ok?

I've been to Bangkok many times and have always stayed at the Four Seasons. The facilities are fantastic as is the customer service. It's also within walking distance to a SkyTrain station which is the best way to get around the city. Regarding the beaches, I have to say that I found Pattaya a bit creepy and past its prime. And, it's overrun with Russian tourists which definitely affects the character of the town. I've have always liked Phuket. While the beaches are not the most beautiful, because it's a city, there is lots to do. (I tend to get bored at beach resorts.). You can find ANYTHING you want in Phuket.

Have fun boys. I'm jealous.

Just two thoughts jump out!

March/April is very very hot so be prepared, ok?

Also: April 15 Songkran.... Thai New Year... and the whole country goes crazy for a week - it is a nationwide water fight, haha, but also a time when Thai people return to their home villages so all the roads are very very crowded.... because your dates are close, make your plans in advance, ok?

got it! Thanks and great advice :) I'll DM with more :)

I second the Koh Samui rec. It's beautiful, can feel remote at the right hotel and is eons better than Pattaya and Phuket.

I've stayed at Conrad Koh Samui a few times and it's always been nearly perfect.

https://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/hotels/thailand/conrad-koh-samui-residences-USMKRCI/index.html

If you're staying on that side of the island, let me also recommend Lajava. The family who run it are AWESOME.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293918-d15089900-Reviews-Lajava_Beach_Lounge-Ko_Samui_Surat_Thani_Province.html

I second the Koh Samui rec. It's beautiful, can feel remote at the right hotel and is eons better than Pattaya and Phuket.

I've stayed at Conrad Koh Samui a few times and it's always been nearly perfect.

https://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/hotels/thailand/conrad-koh-samui-residences-USMKRCI/index.html

If you're staying on that side of the island, let me also recommend Lajava. The family who run it are AWESOME.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293918-d15089900-Reviews-Lajava_Beach_Lounge-Ko_Samui_Surat_Thani_Province.html

Thanks Benjamin! Really kind of you. Investigating now.

ok ok

is this your first visit? it is my home city so i can offer much information.... when are you going to be there? and what level of noise/excitement are you looking for? (and.... honestly.... why pattaya and phuket, haha...?)

at some point maybe we go private but maybe other forum members want to know about this too.

Please. I’ll be there next Thursday 13/2 for 5 days.

I am going in April, I would prefer you kept it in the thread please

ok ok

Guest LeonTrotsky
I am going in April, I would prefer you kept it in the thread please

When in April are you going?

I repeat same warning as before about Thai New Year on the 15th... it is wonderful but also crazy time, especially if it is your first visit!