Who Was It Who Used To Want A Sports Section?

Gar1eth
This topic is 1575 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

To me, it was a sign of civilization's decline when NPR started reporting on sports. :p

How long have you been listening to NPR? I started listening in 1986 and they have covered sports for the entire time.

They have covered sports since at least 1980, when Frank Deford began his regular sports commentary segment on NPR's Morning Edition. The show debuted only a few months prior. Tom Goldman became the associate producer for sports coverage at NPR in 1990 and the full-time sports reporter in 1997. Scott Simon, who happens to be the nephew of the late Jack Brickhouse, has had sports segments on Weekend Edition Saturday since it began in 1985.

How long have you been listening to NPR? I started listening in 1986 and they have covered sports for the entire time.

They have covered sports since at least 1980, when Frank Deford began his regular sports commentary segment on NPR's Morning Edition. The show debuted only a few months prior. Tom Goldman became the associate producer for sports coverage at NPR in 1990 and the full-time sports reporter in 1997. Scott Simon, who happens to be the nephew of the late Jack Brickhouse, has had sports segments on Weekend Edition Saturday since it began in 1985.

Possible that I just missed the coverage early on. I've been listening since the late 70's.

So glad my dad took me to so many professional and college baseball and basketball games so I could choose my favorite team on my own. I was too young to know who Stan Musial was, so it was probably the red bird on the uniform.

When I was in basic training, I went on sick call to watch the Cardinals play the seventh game in the1967 World Series and pitcher Bob Gilson and outfielders Roger Maris (a Cardinal in 1967 and 1968), Lou Brock and Curt Flood.