Decorating - part 2

Greathands
This topic is 5968 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In my earlier posts I got a few responses and emails with some great ideas, so I thought I'd throw out another question.

Does anyone have thoughts on something unique, out-of-the-ordinary and inexpensive to do for a kitchen backsplash?

Since this residence is only for a year or two, we don't want to get into too much expense or effort, but need to do something to liven up our loft-like apartment.

Because of the other elements of the room, we're trying to keep with a "warm" look, rather than ultra-sleek contemporary. The cabinets are typical low-budget walnut with cream-colored textured doors. Pic below. The white stove and hood have been replaced with black appliances.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

http://house.mywebz.net/images/kitchen_cabinets.jpg http://house.mywebz.net/images/kitchen02.jpg

I am going to go waaaaay left field out of the park into the next county here so please pardon me Governor. For me the kitchen represents love and life because without food one can't have either or. How about some pictures of you and your partner and some of your families and friends in very simple frames on the walls. You don't have to go all out and do a bunch but maybe a few that bring back happy memories. Just my half cents worth.

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com http://www.daddysreviews.com/newest.php?who=greg_seattle

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6707/lebec084a9ad147f620acd5ps8.jpg

If you really cook, you don't want to leave that area bare as grease

and splatter will quickly accumulate on a painted wall even with reasonable cleaning efforts. Easy and clean, black tiles to match the appliances with an occasional decorative tile or bright colored tile to break up the black if that is too stark for you.

If the walls are reasonably plumb and you have some basic skills, it should only take a few hours to complete. You can grout the tiles with a color complementary to the cabinets. Those cabinets are never gonna look great but assuming you want to keep them because of budget or length of time you plan to stay, distressing them might give them a bit of interest.

If you really cook, you don't want to leave that area bare as grease

and splatter will quickly accumulate on a painted wall even with reasonable cleaning efforts. Easy and clean, black tiles to match the appliances with an occasional decorative tile or bright colored tile to break up the black if that is too stark for you.

If the walls are reasonably plumb and you have some basic skills, it should only take a few hours to complete. You can grout the tiles with a color complementary to the cabinets. Those cabinets are never gonna look great but assuming you want to keep them because of budget or length of time you plan to stay, distressing them might give them a bit of interest.

Lowes has something described as a 'decorative thermoplastic'

kitchen panel. It appears to come in 18" x 24" panels and

several styles. It's likely less effort to install than ceramic

tile but gives a distinctive look. (check Lowes.com and search

'kitchen panel.')

We just changed our backsplash tile a couple months back

and saw this material after we'd already completed the job, otherwise we'd have considered it as well for our kitchen.

Just another option out there.

Thanks for your suggestions .. and keep more coming!

Yeah, those cabinets (and especially the doors) are rather different. However since this is a temporary residence ... and a rental property at that ... we really don't think it's wise to put too much into it. Luckily, the owners trust us and will allow us to do whatever we'd like.

A friend has suggested using woodgrain panels (not paneling) that match the cabinets. His thought it would make it look like the backsplash and cabinets are one big piece, and that this would make the cabinet doors "pop" and perhaps make them more interesting.

While I can visual this and am intrigued, my partner thinks it's just gonna look tacky.

Any thoughts on that idea?

Believe it or not, I have the same cabinets in my apartment. :-(

Because I'm chummy with the maintenance guys, I've seen many of the upgrades they've installed around the complex as units have vacated. None of them work.

With those cabinets, everything will look like you're trying to tart up a cheap room.

First, get rid of the pea-green color, and then buy an outstandingly fabulous canister set that will draw the eye. Perhaps a wine rack as well, it looks like you have room.

You want to minimize the effect of those cabinets, not emphasize it. Trust me. ;-)

The property owners is also a gay couple, who are very nice guys, and who had just recently bought the place. When my partner and I first saw the apartment, I asked if they were up to our painting, and referred to that "pea green" color. One of the guys started smirking ... which I later found out was because his partner had just painted the color against his advice. Oops ... open mouth, insert foot!

Guest RandyRon

I don't want to be critical but you asked for it. With this kitchen, the last thing I would want to do is draw attention to it. Keep it simple. Use a solid color with no accents. I like the idea of using black to tie in with the new appliances. However, a dark color means you will need some strong work lights (halogen) under the cabinets to light the counter.

Good Luck and let us know what works. Sometimes you never know until you try out the idea.

>The property owners is also a gay couple, who are very nice

>guys, and who had just recently bought the place. When my

>partner and I first saw the apartment, I asked if they were up

>to our painting, and referred to that "pea green" color. One

>of the guys started smirking ... which I later found out was

>because his partner had just painted the color against his

>advice. Oops ... open mouth, insert foot!

My first suggestion was going to be get a match and some lighter fluid to remove the "pea green" paint job. My second suggestion is contact "Spice Up My Kitchen" on HGTV Network and ask, no beg, them if they would be interested in doing a makeover episode.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_hsumk

Those two hunky carpenters, Jeff and Mark, could well make it worth the effort. :-) :-)

Guest ryan2552

> My second

>suggestion is contact "Spice Up My Kitchen" on HGTV Network

>and ask, no beg, them if they would be interested in doing a

>makeover episode.

>

>http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_hsumk

>

>Those two hunky carpenters, Jeff and Mark, could well make it

>worth the effort. :-) :-)

I thought I was the only man watching HGTV :D

I wonder if its a gay thing (j/k)

btw I lean toward purplekow's suggestion of black tile with possibly a green or cream tile to make it pop a little.

Ryan :)

Archived