Novak Djokovic: Delay The Start of the Australian Open Tennis Tournament?

WilliamM
This topic is 1600 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under the circumstances, it would seem to me to make sense to play the qualifying matches on the three indoor courts, which are not being used yet. Or are the main draw players using them as practice courts?

Yes, that would make sense for the health of the players, but logistical problems arise. Because of their size, the three show courts require a lot more ushers & security, although that should be a relatively minor issue. More important, with 128 matches to be played in the 1R of qualies, the 3 retractable roof courts can accommodate only a small percentage, even if matches were scheduled morning, noon & night. Of course, players relegated to outdoor courts would complain about fairness, and rightfully so. It seems that Tennis Australia has opted for equal conditions for all.

I found out that the 8 indoor courts are useless in this crisis. While the courts are indoors, they have permanently open ventilation cutouts, as opposed to a self-contained HVAC system. So they're actually worse than the outdoor courts because once the smoke finds its way into the building, it remains and even accumulates. I don't know if it's feasible to seal up the cutouts and install an HVAC system in time for the main draw. Money isn't an issue because Tennis Australia has very deep pockets, but it sounds like a big project in very little time.

As bad as the conditions sound, I'm surprised there was only one retirement, although a few other players said they were affected by the air quality. I hate to be so cynical, but IMO little if anything will be done about this issue unless one of the top players speaks out & demands changes. Since Novak is so hyper-conscientious about the purity of everything that goes into his body, he is the most likely candidate to take on the issue. Unfortunately, because of the exhausting ATP Cup, Novak has yet to hit the practice court & may not until Thursday.

Yes, that would make sense for the health of the players, but logistical problems arise. Because of their size, the three show courts require a lot more ushers & security, although that should be a relatively minor issue. More important, with 128 matches to be played in the 1R of qualies, the 3 retractable roof courts can accommodate only a small percentage, even if matches were scheduled morning, noon & night. Of course, players relegated to outdoor courts would complain about fairness, and rightfully so. It seems that Tennis Australia has opted for equal conditions for all.

I found out that the 8 indoor courts are useless in this crisis. While the courts are indoors, they have permanently open ventilation cutouts, as opposed to a self-contained HVAC system. So they're actually worse than the outdoor courts because once the smoke finds its way into the building, it remains and even accumulates. I don't know if it's feasible to seal up the cutouts and install an HVAC system in time for the main draw. Money isn't an issue because Tennis Australia has very deep pockets, but it sounds like a big project in very little time.

As bad as the conditions sound, I'm surprised there was only one retirement, although a few other players said they were affected by the air quality. I hate to be so cynical, but IMO little if anything will be done about this issue unless one of the top players speaks out & demands changes. Since Novak is so hyper-conscientious about the purity of everything that goes into his body, he is the most likely candidate to take on the issue. Unfortunately, because of the exhausting ATP Cup, Novak has yet to hit the practice court & may not until Thursday.

I agree. You are too cynical.

ESPN

MELBOURNE, Australia -- As hazardous smoke from Australia's ongoing bushfire crisis -- which has claimed 28 lives and destroyed over a thousand homes -- continues to blanket the city of Melbourne, Australian Open officials are finding new ways to avoid directly answering the question on everyone's mind: How will the Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific be impacted?

On Wednesday morning, just five sleeps out from the scheduled start of this year's tournament, organisers again refused to acknowledge reporters' inquiries around how toxic smoke could impact the most watched annual sporting event in the southern hemisphere, as weather delays and player withdrawals raised more concerns.

I was mistaken. Novak played for a fundraiser (which raised US$3.5 million, btw) in Rod Laver Arena. Unfortunately, I can't verify if the roof was closed or not.

I follow a couple of the more vocal serfs, er, lower-ranked players (Vasek Pospisil & Noah Rubin) who are speaking out on the issue. Given the number of players in qualifying (256), relatively few are complaining about the air quality. Whether that's because the majority are unaffected or because they just don't want to stir things up, I have no idea.

I was mistaken. Novak played for a fundraiser (which raised US$3.5 million, btw) in Rod Laver Arena. Unfortunately, I can't verify if the roof was closed or not.

I follow a couple of the more vocal serfs, er, lower-ranked players (Vasek Pospisil & Noah Rubin) who are speaking out on the issue. Given the number of players in qualifying (256), relatively few are complaining about the air quality. Whether that's because the majority are unaffected or because they just don't want to stir things up, I have no idea.

What a sad post. I expected much more from you.

Canadian Brandon Schmur on Wednesday:

You feel super dry in your throat. That's 100 percent not normal and players who have asthma are at a huge disadvantage now.

Liam Broady:

The more I think about the conditions the more it boils my blood.

What a sad post. I expected much more from you.

Canadian Brandon Schmur on Wednesday:

You feel super dry in your throat. That's 100 percent not normal and players who have asthma are at a huge disadvantage now.

Liam Broady:

The more I think about the conditions the more it boils my blood.

I don't understand why you think my post was "sad." Given the large number of players in qualifying (256), it's fair to say that relatively few (Schnur, Broady, Clarke, Brown & Jakupovic) have spoken out about the issue.

I read that conditions improved markedly on the third day of qualies, so that might explain why outcry has been relatively muted.

Novak had a practice session outdoors yesterday yet didn't utter a peep about air quality. If any of the top players were to say something, Novak would be at the very tippity-top of the list. His silence on the matter speaks volumes.

I don't understand why you think my post was "sad." Given the large number of players in qualifying (256), it's fair to say that relatively few (Schnur, Broady, Clarke, Brown & Jakupovic) have spoken out about the issue.

I read that conditions improved markedly on the third day of qualies, so that might explain why outcry has been relatively muted.

Novak had a practice session outdoors yesterday yet didn't utter a peep about air quality. If any of the top players were to say something, Novak would be at the very tippity-top of the list. His silence on the matter speaks volumes.

A relatively few is too many when the issue is air quality at an outdoor sports event. And so far I seem to be the only one here who has attended the Australian Open. Yes, it was about 25 years ago. Still, I doubt the tournament has changed much in terms of enjoyment (very high).

ESPN

As brushfires devastate Australia, players should focus on action not reaction.

"There is something tone deaf about playing tennis in a country on fire, even when athletes themselves complain they can't breathe."

"By focusing on raising money after disaster has struck while being silent before, the players are indirectly taking the easy way out "

"Certainly Federer and Nadal strive to be positive influences, but their $500,00 donation undermines a devotion to Tennis Australia."

Niote: I have donated $600 to wild fires causes related to the Melbourne Zoo animals fund.

Zoos Victoria

Brushfires Emergency Wildlife Fund 2020

Suggested by an acquaintance who lives in Australia. And I have visited the Melbourne Zoo.

Edited by WilliamM

ESPN

As brushfires devastate Australia, players should focus on action not reaction.

"There is something tone deaf about playing tennis in a country on fire, even when athletes themselves complain they can't breathe."

"By focusing on raising money after disaster has struck while being silent before, the players are indirectly taking the easy way out "

"Certainly Federer and Nadal strive to be positive influences, but their $500,00 donation undermines a devotion to Tennis Australia."

Niote: I have donated $600 to wild fires causes related to the Melbourne Zoo animals fund.

Zoos Victoria

Brushfires Emergency Wildlife Fund 2020

Suggested by an acquaintance who lives in Australia. And I have visited the Melbourne Zoo.

I can't make sense of these random quotes. Who is the writer/speaker? What does he or she think the players had an obligation to do before the wildfires occurred? How do Federer's and Nadal's donations "undermine a devotion to Tennis Australia"?

Federer, Nadal seem sure all will be ok at the Australian Open

By Howard Fendrich

Associated Press

Rafa Nadal said he was told air measurements were taken every 4 minutes and the standard for clean samples tests need to be more stringent than that used by the International Olympic Committee.

I really cannot believe that the most important Committee in the world wants bad health for the competitors said Grigor Dimitrov. Tour official have been looking after us.

Petra Kvetova, It's the same for everyone. It will be really difficult to breathe, for sure. I have my medicine with me.

Federer, Nadal seem sure all will be ok at the Australian Open

By Howard Fendrich

Associated Press

Rafa Nadal said he was told air measurements were taken every 4 minutes and the standard for clean samples tests need to be more stringent than that used by the International Olympic Committee.

I really cannot believe that the most important Committee in the world wants bad health for the competitors said Grigor Dimitrov. Tour official have been looking after us.

Petra Kvetova, It's the same for everyone. It will be really difficult to breathe, for sure. I have my medicine with me.

Yes, the International Olympic Committee standard is to stop competition at 300 ppm (I assume that means particles per million) whereas the regional government at the AO established a limit of 200 ppm.

Both Rafa & Roger addressed the issue in press conferences, both stating that they felt comfortable with the air quality rule. Novak noted that air quality is actually worse at other tournaments, like Beijing, yet players don't make an issue of it. I haven't seen any comment from Serena.

It is interesting to note that of the five players who went on the record about the playing conditions, four lost in qualifying whereas none of the four players who beat them complained, at least not publicly.

The fifth player Vasek Pospisil sits on the ATP Players Council and is something of a spokesman for lower-ranked players. He has used his position mostly to push for more prize money in the early rounds to allow more lower-ranked players to make a decent living. It sounds like he's speaking out on this issue on behalf of the "serfs," although we don't know how many players he represents. Just the other four on record, or are there are a number of other players who are upset about the issue but didn't feel comfortable speaking publicly?

In any case, the air quality has improved significantly. The readings for the last two days have been ~40 ppm, which is about as good as it gets in any urban center. Let's pray that the air quality issue, as well as the entire brush fire crisis, continues to improve.

Edited by BSR

Yes, the International Olympic Committee standard is to stop competition at 300 ppm (I assume that means particles per million) whereas the regional government at the AO established a limit of 200 ppm.

Both Rafa & Roger addressed the issue in press conferences, both stating that they felt comfortable with the air quality rule. Novak noted that air quality is actually worse at other tournaments, like Beijing, yet players don't make an issue of it. I haven't seen any comment from Serena.

It is interesting to note that of the five players who went on the record about the playing conditions, four lost in qualifying whereas none of the four players who beat them complained, at least not publicly.

The fifth player Vasek Pospisil sits on the ATP Players Council and is something of a spokesman for lower-ranked players. He has used his position mostly to push for more prize money in the early rounds to allow more lower-ranked players to make a decent living. It sounds like he's speaking out on this issue on behalf of the "serfs," although we don't know how many players he represents. Just the other four on record, or are there are a number of other players who are upset about the issue but didn't feel comfortable speaking publicly?

In any case, the air quality has improved significantly. The readings for the last two days has been ~40 ppm, which as about as good as it gets in any urban center. Let's pray that the air quality issue, as well as the entire brush fire crisis, continues to improve.

Perhaps the qualifiers who lost were losers because of the horrific air quality in Melbourne. Let's pray that a tennis player doesn't collapse on court from the beastly heat and air conditions, particularly on Australia Day.

Perhaps the qualifiers who lost were losers because of the horrific air quality in Melbourne. Let's pray that a tennis player doesn't collapse on court from the beastly heat and air conditions, particularly on Australia Day.

And the winners who were playing on the same court and breathing the same air?

New York Times

Predicting the winners at this tournament has taken a back seat to forecasting the winds. When the winds have blown into the city from the East, smoke from the nearby East Gippsland Bush fires has cast a pall over the city and the tournament, dusting the air creating a haze that caused breathing problems for players who were practicing or competing in the qualifying rounds

The tournament director, Craig Riley, has said that play will be stopped if the air quality is too poor, but players and spectators could struggle anyway

Ben Rotttenberg wrote the article

In any case, the air quality has improved significantly. The readings for the last two days have been ~40 ppm, which as about as good as it gets in any urban center. Let's pray that the air quality issue, as well as the entire brush fire crisis, continues to improve.

Novak is speaking before facing the potential air condition in Melbourne at the worst. He knows it, so the quote about China is not exactly the last word.

Maybe you have never played a competitive sport.

Why do you make assumptions? So sorry your parents never taught you what happens when you assume.

I played tennis avidly for decades. I still follow the sport passionately. Winners find a way to win. Losers find excuses.

I would post more, but the first day of play at the Australian is in full swing. Gotta watch!

Edited by BSR

Australian Open explains air policy, with referee discretion

By HOWARD FENDRICHJanuary 17, 2020

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — As wildfires continue to burn in parts of Australia, the country’s Grand Slam tournament explained its recently developed air quality policy, saying it was based on a scientific analysis of something called “fine particulate matter rating” -- but also giving the tournament referee the right to start or stop matches “at his or her absolute discretion.”

Australian Open organizers released the policy Friday, three days before the beginning of main-draw action, following complaints from some players who questioned whether qualifying matches should have been held this week even though Melbourne’s air quality was among the worst in the world because of smoke arriving from fires about 100 miles east of the city.

On Tuesday, one player collapsed to her knees while coughing heavily; another sought medical attention because he was having trouble breathing.

Friday’s statement said measurements of the air quality are made throughout each day of play, and conditions will be rated on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being “good playing conditions,” and 5 representing conditions so bad that competition will be suspended -- but even then, not immediately.

Instead, the policy says the break will arrive only after a set reaches an even number of games or an in-progress tiebreaker is completed.

And then the policy goes on to say: “At any point the Referee may decide to suspend, maintain or resume match play in accordance with this policy and at his or her absolute discretion, taking into account advice from onsite medical experts, visibility, forecast changes to weather conditions and any other factors deemed relevant to the overall assessment of air quality.”

At the three arenas with retractable roofs, play will be halted so the stadiums can be covered, and play may resume once that court’s air quality rating drops below 5.

When a suspended match resumes, players will be given at least 30 minutes’ notice before needing to be back on court.

More than two dozen people and millions of animals have been killed in the fires around the continent.

___

Why do you make assumptions? So sorry your parents never taught you what happens when you assume.

I played tennis avidly for decades. I still follow the sport passionately. Winners find a way to win. Losers find excuses.

I would post more, but the first day of play at the Australian is in full swing. Gotta watch!

Again, disappointing response. With no

Understanding of how Tennis Australia works, or the reason the Melbourne Open is so important.

You assume all the time in the political forum, usually incorrectly.