Good Meal Loaf wanted ty both Wet amd Wiod Bear and ncm2169l

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5998 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ncm2169

Well gentleman here's our first requested contest. }(

I LOVE meatloaf, mainly for it's EX day nuked next-day sandwich possibilities.

Who cares to contribute? Let's go dudes. There must be dozens of metloaf recipes out there!

Meatloaf is pretty easy. It's basically a way to stretch a little meat to go a longer way.

Ground meat, an egg, some binding/filler starch, chopped onions & celery if you like and/or have them, and bake. Cover with bacon while baking for that extra bit of flavor and/or fat dripping through the loaf.

It's more filling when there's more fat, don'tcha know.

My mom often used hand-ground soda crackers as the binding ingredient. She also sometimes used day-old bread. I've seen it made with cooked rice as the binding ingredient.

My grandmother made the BEST meatloaf, and she told me late in her life that she par-boiled or sauteed the onions and celery so they were basically cooked when they went in. But I also like it when the celery bits have a little bit of crunch to them.

Can you tell I grew up in the midwest where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and all the children are above average? ;-)

Guest Wetnwildbear

Although I do enjoy a nice sandwich and hot meat with gravy,

but I prefer my Meat active and perky - Rather than

having meat-loaf . . .

Guest zipperzone

>Can you tell I grew up in the midwest where the women are

>strong, the men are good looking, and all the children are

>above average? ;-)

Above average what?

My meat loaf is different every time I make it but here is one I concocted lately.

1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef

1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds ground Italian sausage (any seasoning or flavor)

2 eggs

2 pieces whole wheat break torn into large crumbs

1/3 green pepper cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1/2 medium sweet onion cut into pieces

Black pepper to taste

couple squirts Worchestershire sauce

about 1 teaspoon habenera sauce

2 ounces milk

sprinkle of garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together by hand in a large bowl. Shape into loaf and put into loaf pan (best for removing rendered fat) and cook in 325 oven for aobut 90 minutes. After done, remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve with your favorite garnish.

Other things including mushroom and even mushroom soup can be added to this recipe but this one as described was firm and fully packed with flavor.

Best regards,

KMEM

Guest Wetnwildbear

Since its Lunchtime - I will share a real meatloaf recipe.

I make a white meat Turkey Meatloaf which is delicious,moist,

healthy - easy and colorful!

Recipe:

1.25 to 1.5lbs of Ground Turkey Whitemeat

1 - Small Zuchini (Don't Think Barrett Long)

wash skin and then shred skin on

1 - Med- Large Carrot Shredded Fine

1- Large Yellow Onion - Shredded so it liquifies

1- Celery Stalk - diced fine

1/2 a Red/Yellow/Orange pepper (your choice) diced fine

1 Large Egg

1/3 - 1/2 cup of Dry Oatmeal (NOT INSTANT)

2 Tblsp Chopped Parsley - Fresh

1 Tblsp Chopped Basil - Fresh

Sea Salt

Black Pepper

Garlic Powder to Taste

Mix all together - form into loaf place on non-stick cookiesheet or pan.

Top with Salt/Pepper/Chopped Basil

Or if you'd like a little spicy Latin twist - make a shallow trench

longways in the middle of the loaf - Top with Med/Hot Salsa then

bake - I serve it this way with Yellow Rice and Black Beans.

Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes

Enjoy!

Basically I'm a stand back and throw kind of cook and meal loaf is the ideal dish for that type of cook. The most basic ingredient is, of course, ground beef. Some people add ground pork or bulk sausage -- my mother didn't thus I don't. Damn I had forgotten that she used soda crackers which she crushed with a rolling pin -- I use packaged bread crumbs. I add an egg or two depending on the size meat loaf I'm making. I add chopped onion and garlic, salt and pepper and maybe some dried basil. The topping is what many people do differently -- some use ketchup, some use tomato sauce, and I use Dawn Fresh by Giorgio Mushroom Steak Sauce again for the reason that my mother did. I always have baked potatoes with meat load and a simple green salad. Now that is what I call a cold weather comfort food dinner.

Guest ncm2169

OMFG!! I can't believe I typed that gibberish. I'm taking some meds and they obviously affected my eyesight. I was a spelling champion in grade school. x(

But thanks for all the meatloaf recipes!! }(

Guest ncm2169

< Above average what?

You've not heard of Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon?

The legend has it being a mid-sized burgh somewhere west of the Twin Cities. And, yes, all the children there are above average. Think about it. ;-)

Or, ask Tom Isern. }(

Guest zipperzone

>< Above average what?

>

>You've not heard of Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon?

Not exactly. But I have heard of Garrison Keillor (I think). Isn't he the star of Prarie Home Companion? It was a great movie and I wish I could get the radio show here (if it's still on)

RE: 1/3 - 1/2 cup of Dry Oatmeal (NOT INSTANT)

Oh Wet and Wild one, again you are right on target. Good to see you are indeed an expert beyond the bed and bath...

The key to any successful meatloaf recipe is indeed oatmeal! In fact if you sustitute oatmeal for bread in any other recipe it is sure to enhance the final result.

Well this posting led me to buy a new loaf pan when I saw it at the grocery store. I was planning on making my meatloaf surprise but the idea of substituting oatmeal for bread has intrigued me and I will head back to the store tomorrow for the oatmeal.

The surprise in meatloaf suprise is a cheese+salami+bacon center.

I usually use a nice cheddar and wrap a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch by

3 inch portion in a slice of two of salami and then bacon wrapped around that to hold it together. Then place that in the center of the raw meat loaf and cook it as you would otherwise. Then when you slice it, there is a nice cheesy surprise. You can also use a hardboiled egg wrapped in salami and bacon but I prefer the cheese.

You can decrease your cooking time somewhat as the middle is made up of precooked ingredients.

>The key to any successful meatloaf recipe is indeed

>oatmeal! In fact if you sustitute oatmeal for bread in

>any other recipe it is sure to enhance the final result.

Oatmeal adds a special zing to many bread recipes as well. ;-)

Use oatmeal for half of the flour. The bread has a better texture and a better flavor.

Archived