Recovery Time after Inguinal Hernia Surgery?

honcho
This topic is 1569 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi,

Looks like I'm going to need to have this done, and I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait before I can resume vigorous (and possibly edgy) sex ...

The most (abdominally) challenging thing we like to do is him riding me (while occasionally swatting my nuts, which make my dick swell and get very stiff inside of him, but with him (weight about 220 lbs on a 5'10" frame) actively bouncing up and down, it does seem to put a fair amount of stress on my pubic area.

My butt is totally dysfunctional, but it might be worth saying for other folks who have to do this how long to wait before resuming that kind of activity also.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe,

Honcho (a.k.a. Keith)

(and to spoil the hoary internet pun, that was "THANKS in advance")

There are different kinds of inguinal hernia surgery depending on the size, etc. If your surgeon hasn't discussed this with you, run away and find another surgeon. It's your surgeon's job to know this stuff.

There are different kinds of inguinal hernia surgery depending on the size, etc. If your surgeon hasn't discussed this with you, run away and find another surgeon. It's your surgeon's job to know this stuff.

Hi, my medical coverage is through the Kaiser HMO, and generally, unless there's an issue one is expected to take whatever surgeon is assigned to you. My primary care doctor agrees, that at the moment, it isn't urgent and can wait a while, but the reason why I'm wanting to find out how long it like to take is to figure out when my schedule as a performing musician will be least damaged by not being able to play.

I have not yet been assigned a surgeon. It is also not practical for me to travel from my home in the SF Bay Area, to seek out a particular surgeon in florida and have the surgery there, but I thank @MasssageGuy for the comment, and hope that the information will prove useful to Forum members living in florida.

(There have been mesurements of oral pressure of both oboe players and trumpet players *while playing* and while the peak air pressure of a trumpet player is higher than that of an oboist, the average for oboe players is higher, and one would assume that this correlates with stress on the lower gut).

I also understand that I can only ask for a statistical statement, which is like " of a statistically valid sampling of people having this kind of surgery, the average time for recovery is X weeks, but most seem to take from Y to Z weeks". I fully expect that my milage *will* vary.

Nonethless, doing some sampling here might give me some kind of clue.

Hi, my medical coverage is through the Kaiser HMO, and generally, unless there's an issue one is expected to take whatever surgeon is assigned to you. My primary care doctor agrees, that at the moment, it isn't urgent and can wait a while, but the reason why I'm wanting to find out how long it like to take is to figure out when my schedule as a performing musician will be least damaged by not being able to play.

I have not yet been assigned a surgeon. It is also not practical for me to travel from my home in the SF Bay Area, to seek out a particular surgeon in florida and have the surgery there, but I thank @MasssageGuy for the comment, and hope that the information will prove useful to Forum members living in florida.

FWIW, I’ve seen people cherry-pick surgeons within Kaiser without much of a problem. From what they tell me, the hard part if getting a referral outside Kaiser. Whatever happens, I will be rooting for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had two non-mesh inguinal hernia procedures: one at Shouldice Hernia Hospital in Thornhill just north of Toronto a few years ago for left side, with good results; and very recently the Desarda method at Ufirst Health in Fort Myers, right side, from which I expect to have good recovery. UFirst took me on a few days notice and that was the main impetus, as I would have been content to return to Shouldice (but 3 month wait was impossible this occasion).

Some patients come from abroad to either of the two options. Many Americans zip up to Toronto.

Sexual intimacy with the guy riding me on top of my mid-section is something I don’t allow at my now older age. To me, it is impractical and inviting problems. It might work fine for others with abdominal wall weaknesses and/or repair history, but I just don’t want to chance it. Most men of older age have existing inguinal hernia reality below the threshold of visible bulge or physical discomfort.

Sorry I cannot be more specific about recovery time. Certainly walking is easy within days but I really take it easy with other more strenuous activity and proceed with getting back into cardio and resistance training very gingerly.

Edited by SirBIllybob

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve developed a surgical complication and am so frustrated. I was scar tissue-free when the surgery was done, per the operative note. Now I have a rare and recalcitrant kind of adhesion. It’s so rare they only two surgeons in the country do high volumes. I thought I was done with this stuff after the surgery in September.

I had read about this preop but never asked since it’s so rare. Turns out this is largely preventable if you put in a balloon catheter for a few days post op.

I’ve developed a surgical complication and am so frustrated. I was scar tissue-free when the surgery was done, per the operative note. Now I have a rare and recalcitrant kind of adhesion. It’s so rare they only two surgeons in the country do high volumes. I thought I was done with this stuff after the surgery in September.

I had read about this preop but never asked since it’s so rare. Turns out this is largely preventable if you put in a balloon catheter for a few days post op.

Truly sorry to learn of this ...

(and of course, the scary side is that these kinds of complications aren't evident for a while afterwards).

Just to add one statistic to the mix here, my surgeon was fairly unconcerned about pushing things too fast - he said "You will know" when it's OK to resume certain activities and he wasn't worried about bursting any stitches - because there wouldn't be any. He said that any overdoing-it would just result in a few extra days of soreness.

I haven't been pushing it very much, but I did try practicing for 45 minutes 3 days afterwards, and didn't pay any price - but I didn't play very loudly or try any super high notes. After a week, I attend a full 2 hour rehearsal, but that's usual a matter of play for a few minutes, and listen to at least an equal amount of time of lecturing, repeating for the full time.

Haven't felt motivated to do a lot of playing of either kind ...

It was done laproscopically; not at lot of pain afterwards. Although the doctor issued a prescription for oxycontin, he said I could try just using the dosage of Ibuprofin for a back flare-up. I did, and it worked out fine. The first week or so, it was uncomfortable to wear a belt, so I didn't. (and have been wearing stretchy chinos).

Very peripherally: I have chronic pain anyway to begin with and at one point had acute mouth/tooth/gum pain to the point where eating made me wince. Briefly thought I might need another root canal but x-rays didn't look any different than before. Turned out to be a side effect of sinus inflammation and the only thing that reduced the pain (as opposed to making me loopy enough not to care for an hour or two) was massive amounts of ibuprofen (three 200 mg tablets at a time 4x a day - if I only took it three times a day, I would wake up in pain at 3am and not be able to go back to sleep). Acetaminophen with codeine did nothing to control the pain. Neither did vicodin.