NNN

Tarte Gogo
This topic is 1627 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

No sex, growing a Movember moustache - is there anything else I'm supposed to be doing this month?

Yes. National Novel Writing Month. Write a novel. That's why you don't bust. Refocus your energies into a creative project.

https://nanowrimo.org/

What is NaNoWriMo?

National Novel Writing Month began in 1999 as a daunting but straightforward challenge: to write 50,000 words of a novel during the thirty days of November.

Yes. National Novel Writing Month. Write a novel. That's why you don't bust. Refocus your energies into a creative project.

https://nanowrimo.org/

50,000 words in a month is a big ask, surely, unless writing to an established formula or under the influence of white-hot inspiration? Unlikely in either case, I would have thought, for someone who tries to do it merely as a response to a casual challenge. Good luck to anyone who took it on, though.

I remember once visiting a certain famous essayist who was happy to produce one well-rounded and polished paragraph a day. I have to admit I found him almost unreadable even then, when I had most of my faculties.

50,000 words in a month is a big ask, surely, unless writing to an established formula or under the influence of white-hot inspiration? Unlikely in either case, I would have thought, for someone who tries to do it merely as a response to a casual challenge. Good luck to anyone who took it on, though.

I remember once visiting a certain famous essayist who was happy to produce one well-rounded and polished paragraph a day. I have to admit I found him almost unreadable even then, when I had most of my faculties.

I know a lot of people who participate. Some drop out, some don't. It's meant to be motivating.

50,000 words is substantial if you're talking about a finished writing product. Much of modern writing theory is more about getting the ideas captured and then revising and refining over time to create the finished product. Creating 50,000 words is 1,667 words a day over the 30 days. That is a sizable amount, but the entire point is to motivate people to write and once someone discovers the freedom of letting ideas flow and go where they will, it becomes surprisingly easy to hit those kinds of numbers. Yes much of it will be crap, but writing is a skill. It takes practice to get right. And many people will be pleasently surprised to find gems worth keeping that can become core elements of the finished product.

50,000 words is substantial if you're talking about a finished writing product. Much of modern writing theory is more about getting the ideas captured and then revising and refining over time to create the finished product. Creating 50,000 words is 1,667 words a day over the 30 days. That is a sizable amount, but the entire point is to motivate people to write and once someone discovers the freedom of letting ideas flow and go where they will, it becomes surprisingly easy to hit those kinds of numbers. Yes much of it will be crap, but writing is a skill. It takes practice to get right. And many people will be pleasently surprised to find gems worth keeping that can become core elements of the finished product.

I don't disagree at all with the benefits as described by yourself and @quoththeraven. My thought was simply and rather casually that 50,000 was too high a target for the people for whom it seemed to be intended. And, as I indicated, for some authors it would not ever be desirable. I was interested to see that they used a clunky old portable typewriter on their Home Page. Well I remember the struggles with carbon paper and stuck keys - my idea of revision and refining hell.

I don't disagree at all with the benefits as described by yourself and @quoththeraven. My thought was simply and rather casually that 50,000 was too high a target for the people for whom it seemed to be intended. And, as I indicated, for some authors it would not ever be desirable. I was interested to see that they used a clunky old portable typewriter on their Home Page. Well I remember the struggles with carbon paper and stuck keys - my idea of revision and refining hell.

I hear and agree with you in that there are plenty of those writing forms like poetry or short stories that could be great options for people who want to write more but are intimidated by the idea of a novel and tens of thousands of words.