Financial Meltdown?

Luv2play
This topic is 5525 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The financial meltdown continues to melt, and I think the country is growing pretty anxious. With more and more jobs lost and the stimulus not able to take quick effect, i think we are in for a hard year. I feel for those losing their jobs, but I am like everyone else- afraid to spend any money for fear things are going to get worse.

PS- Glad to see this in the Lounge, because it affects all of us, and I would like to hear from those who don't venture into the Politics forum.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky, It was so long ago that I started this subject that I forgot that the OP was in the Lounge. In the 8 sequels I started I chose to go to the Political Forum because a lot of the commentary was about political choices made by the Bush administration and now Obama's.

Still I agree that since this meltdown, which started on Wall Street but has now gone global, affects virtually everybody on earth and certainly the members of this forum, then perhaps some will want to discuss the non-political aspects here.

Since I am retired and have an iron-clad government pension, the meltdown has not impacted me as much as others. But it has certainly affected my investments and made me much more cautious as an investor. Here in eastern Canada we haven't had the decline in real estate values YET but that may come since unemployment is up as in the US.

I was in an antique store yesterday that I have patronized over the last 6 years and the manager told me that last month was the first one since they started the business that they didn't earn the rent. A lot of people are cutting back on discretionary outlays such as art and antiques.

I have befriended a young struggling artist and I buy some of his canvases from time to time but other than that I have stopped buying other stuff I don't really need (as opposed to want). On the other hand since acquiring a dog I am constantly amazed at what people throw out on the sidewalk so I have picked up a few "bargains" that way!

Archived