Why oh why are people buying this today? (2nd on Amazon best seller list)

EXPAT
This topic is 6065 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well, the profits do go to the victims' families and to the Ron Goldman Foundation for Justice. From amazon:

"In 2006, HarperCollins announced the publication of a book in which O.J. Simpson told how he hypothetically would have committed the murders. In response to public outrage that Simpson stood to profit from these crimes, HarperCollins canceled the book. A Florida bankruptcy court awarded the rights to the Goldmans in August 2007 to partially satisfy the unpaid civil judgment, which has risen, with interest, to over $38 million.

"The Goldman family views this book as his confession, and has worked hard to ensure that the public will read this book and learn the truth. This is the original manuscript approved by O.J. Simpson, with up to 14,000 words of key additional commentary."

I love how the book is still called "If I did it" but the Goldmans made the "If" so tiny that it looks like it says "I did it." :7

Guest zipperzone

>Well, the profits do go to the victims' families and to the

>Ron Goldman Foundation for Justice. From amazon:

I think that's a crock.

I didn't see it personally, but I heard that when the Goldmans were on Opra yesterday (Thursday) they said they would make 17 cents per copy sold and they made no mention that the profits would go anywhere but into their pockets.

I know the Goldmans suffered a terrible loss, but that was over 10 years ago - time to get on with their lives. By continuing to dwell on it daily as they seem to relish in doing, they are spoiling the rest of their own lives. Quite frankly I'm sick to death of Fred Goldman!

>>Well, the profits do go to the victims' families and to the

>>Ron Goldman Foundation for Justice. From amazon:

>

>I think that's a crock.

>

>I didn't see it personally, but I heard that when the Goldmans

>were on Opra yesterday (Thursday) they said they would make 17

>cents per copy sold and they made no mention that the profits

>would go anywhere but into their pockets.

>

>I know the Goldmans suffered a terrible loss, but that was

>over 10 years ago - time to get on with their lives. By

>continuing to dwell on it daily as they seem to relish in

>doing, they are spoiling the rest of their own lives. Quite

>frankly I'm sick to death of Fred Goldman!

I wonder is OJ is dwelling on the loss of his ex-wife and the mother of his children. Dwelling on it, that is, when not breaking in and stealing memorobilia

There is almost surely an error as regards the adjudication of Simpson. Either the criminal court was wrong to find him not guilty of the double murder or the civil court was wrong in finding that he violated the civil rights of the two victims by murdering them. Going by the perceived sentiments expressed in the US, the overwhelming majority of people seemingly believe that he is guilty. Murder is largely the purview of the states and so far as I know every state has so many safeguards built into their laws it is a wonder that anyone gets convicted, especially if they have expensive and powerful attorneys.

So, it seems to me the only choice one has it to believe that a gross miscarriage of civil justice occurred and therefore many should be demonstrating to over turn that decision OR come to the conclusion that Simpson is guilty. If he had been convicted in criminal court, he either would be in jail for a very long term or executed. Simpson being in jail won't bring back the victims but would give the families some idea that justice was served. Now they only have the ruling of the civil court. Do you really blame them for trying to get whatever they can? If they don't pursue the execution of the court order, who will?

Some of this, with the passage of time, is viewed as political correctness or lack thereof. Simpson got a full dose of PC when those who now or initially thought him to be not guilty reacted to the verdict. Now, apparently, the family of the victims must tread lightly to avoid seeming greedy and taking advantage of the situation. Legally they are entitled to whatever they can get. It is perhaps too bad that their lives have to be played out in the glaring light of the media.

Best regards,

KMEM

>Simpson being in jail won't bring

>back the victims but would give the families some idea that

>justice was served. Now they only have the ruling of the

>civil court. Do you really blame them for trying to get

>whatever they can? If they don't pursue the execution of the

>court order, who will?

Amen! :)

Guest zipperzone

>There is almost surely an error as regards the adjudication

>of Simpson. Either the criminal court was wrong to find him

>not guilty of the double murder....

There were several reasons as to why he was found not guilty. In the first place that idiot, Judge Ito, never managed to get control of the trial or of his courtroom. OJ had an excellent team of lawyers, the cost of which would have been prohibitive for you and I. But the real reason, as I think we all know, is that the jury was rigged in his favor being comprised of mostly African Americans.

>Simpson being in jail won't bring

>back the victims but would give the families some idea that

>justice was served.

True - but that ain't going to happen.

>Do you really blame them for trying to get

>whatever they can? If they don't pursue the execution of the

>court order, who will?

No I don't blame them - never said I did - I was merely trying to correct the statement that the profits were going to go to charity.

What I can't understand is that when it looked like OJ was going to publish the book, Goldman took it to court to stop him from doing so because he claimed that no one had the right to publish such a blatent sham and was able to get the rights to the book granted to him.

If OJ had published, Goldman would still have been able to get the courts to direct that all profits go to them (with the exception of the advance which it was too late to do anything about).

Now all of a sudden, Goldman decides it's OK to publish what he had previously claimed was unfit to publish. Why the change of mind? It can't be for the money as he would have ended up with it either way?

>Now, apparently, the family of the victims must tread lightly to >avoid seeming greedy and taking advantage of the situation.

I never said that. Don't put words in my mouth, please.

>Legally they are entitled to whatever they can get.

No argument there.

>It is perhaps too bad that their lives

>have to be played out in the glaring light of the media.

That is their choice. They do every thing possible to ensure they will be in the spotlight at every turn. As I said before, I understand their loss - but they are poisoning their own lives by not allowing themselves to move on. They could still move on at the same time they persue what they feel is due to them, although I think 38 million is an excessive sum, but that I guess is a whole different argument.

I think it says a lot that Denise Brown was also on the Opra show but would not appear on stage at the same time as the Goldmans. She is also puzzled as to why the Goldmans changed their mind and published the book. She did not have too many good things to say about them when interviewed on Larry King tonight. She suffered a similar loss to the Goldmans but has shown a lot more class in how she has handled it.

Finally - I say again, I am tired of seeing Goldman on TV all the time, 13 years after his son was killed. Enough already - it's overkill. I also don't expect this to be the popular opinion.

>Now all of a sudden, Goldman decides it's OK to publish what

>he had previously claimed was unfit to publish. Why the change

>of mind? It can't be for the money as he would have ended up

>with it either way?

I think the answer is on the book cover: With exclusive commentary "He did it" by the Goldman Family. Now they get to have the last word. :) (Btw, I don't watch broadcast TV, so I have no idea who the Goldman family are, what they look like, or anything about them.)

I cannot believe you are naive enough to believe that the Goldman's would have seen a dollar of the profits from this book had OJ been involved in the publishing. They didn't get the advance and they would not have gotten the profits without a legal battle. Let's face it, despite a civil verdict that should have left him living a modest existence, OJ still has a large home and travels extensively. He plays golf at most, but not all, of the finest golf courses in the US. His bills get paid despite the fact that his income should be garnished. The civil verdict is a farce.

As for Nicole Brown, her niece and nephew stand to inherit some of OJs money. So perhaps she has an added incentive to protect her sister's children in some ways that the Goldman's do not have.

I would grant you that 13 years is a long time, but I am still pissed off with my sister for some things she did to me 40 years ago and none of them involved slashing a relatives throat. If Oprah would have me on, I would love to discuss them.

It is very easy for us, who did not have a son murdered, to say that Ron Goldman should move on with his life. As I am sitting here writing this I know, for a fact, that if I were in Goldman’s shoes I would do everything in my power to ruin every single day of Simpson’s life. I might even publish the damn book simply to rub O.J.’s face in that fact that I had prevented him from doing so yet I could. I know that sounds vindictive and by damn it is vindictive – he murdered his son and got away with it. If it were me he would NEVER get away from me. I would hound him until the day he or I died -- period!

Why are people buying it?...because a huge number of people are marks. They see a football player, basketball player, actor etc., and all of a sudden they have to know everything they can about the person, and in most cases put that person on a pedistal, when in reality the guy has to use a toilet like everyone else.

Guest zipperzone

>Why are people buying it?...because a huge number of people

>are marks. They see a football player, basketball player,

>actor etc., and all of a sudden they have to know everything

>they can about the person, and in most cases put that person

>on a pedistal, when in reality the guy has to use a toilet

>like everyone else.

It should be very easy for OJ to use a toilet as he is basically IN the toilet.

Guest zipperzone

>I cannot believe you are naive enough to believe that the

>Goldman's would have seen a dollar of the profits from this

>book had OJ been involved in the publishing. They didn't get

>the advance and they would not have gotten the profits without

>a legal battle.

Sorry, but I don't think that's acurate. The reason they did not get their hands on the advance was because it was paid out before they even knew of the book's existance.

Once they knew about the book it would have been a simple matter for them to get a court injunction that would have forced the publisher to pay all profits due to the writer, into the court for eventual distribution to the Goldmans.

>Let's face it, despite a civil verdict that

>should have left him living a modest existence, OJ still has a

>large home and travels extensively. He plays golf at most, but

>not all, of the finest golf courses in the US. His bills get

>paid despite the fact that his income should be garnished.

>The civil verdict is a farce.

I don't understand the workings of the US legal system with regards to garnishments but it is my understanding that in the state of Florida, one's personal residence is protected from such garnishment. Strange, and I don't think it's right, but that's the way it is. I understand that is the primary reason OJ elected to live in Florida.

He is able to maintain his lavish lifestyle because of his hugh pension payments from the NFL. These also, by law, are free from garnishment.

Guest zipperzone

>It is very easy for us, who did not have a son murdered, to

>say that Ron Goldman should move on with his life. As I am

>sitting here writing this I know, for a fact, that if I were

>in Goldman’s shoes I would do everything in my power to ruin

>every single day of Simpson’s life.......

>If it were me he would NEVER get away

>from me. I would hound him until the day he or I died --

>period!

Well that would be your choice and your right, just as it is Fred Goldman's.

The point I was trying to make is that to carry such a burden of hate around with you every day of your life would poison your own existance and quite possibly the life of those around you. As horribly difficult as it may seem, I would hope that I could move on and make smemthing positive out of the years remaining to me. To simply hound OJ, is not MY idea of positive.

>>I cannot believe you are naive enough to believe that the

>>Goldman's would have seen a dollar of the profits from this

>>book had OJ been involved in the publishing. They didn't

>get

>>the advance and they would not have gotten the profits

>without

>>a legal battle.

>

>Sorry, but I don't think that's acurate. The reason they did

>not get their hands on the advance was because it was paid out

>before they even knew of the book's existance.

>

>Once they knew about the book it would have been a simple

>matter for them to get a court injunction that would have

>forced the publisher to pay all profits due to the writer,

>into the court for eventual distribution to the Goldmans.

>

>>Let's face it, despite a civil verdict that

>>should have left him living a modest existence, OJ still has

>a

>>large home and travels extensively. He plays golf at most,

>but

>>not all, of the finest golf courses in the US. His bills get

>>paid despite the fact that his income should be garnished.

>>The civil verdict is a farce.

>

>I don't understand the workings of the US legal system with

>regards to garnishments but it is my understanding that in the

>state of Florida, one's personal residence is protected from

>such garnishment. Strange, and I don't think it's right, but

>that's the way it is. I understand that is the primary reason

>OJ elected to live in Florida.

>

>He is able to maintain his lavish lifestyle because of his

>hugh pension payments from the NFL. These also, by law, are

>free from garnishment.

>

>

A personal residence in Florida cannot be appropriated for a bankruptcy though all the furnishing and everything else can be. So OJ should be in a big empty house.

As far as I know, pro football players in OJs era did not get large pensions. Salaries were much less and in fact many former football players are having difficulty getting coverage for medical bills related to football injuries. Mike Ditka among other former players is trying to get help for these players.

My guess is the OJs book deal would have been structured to hand over his money to a trust for his children that he manages. The money would not be his, but he would be free to use it. If not exactly that, some other skirt around the law to avoid payment. The tort system in the US is a joke. Enforcement of penalties an ongoing game. This round went to the Goldman's. For my part, I hope OJ spends a good deal of time in jail over these trumped up charges in Vegas.

>

Archived