Should I be concerned?

Reisr30
This topic is 1698 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I started hormone replacement therapy in the mid-1990's, the only effective treatment was to fully replace testosterone was through IM injection of testosterone cypionate. Overtime, a patch was released that required shaving your scrotum, and wearing the patch glued to your balls. I stayed with the injection. Now with the gels and creams, my endocrinologist says they are not nearly as effective as the injection and he prefers I continue injecting.

On my own, I discovered I preferred injecting 100 mg weekly versus 200 mg bi-weekly. As I have aged, we've cut the dosage to 80 mg weekly. I didn't care for the highs and lows of the 200 mg biweekly injections, so with my endocrinologist's permission, I went to the weekly injections.

I still prefer weekly IM injections over the other therapies simply because I only need to worry with it weekly, not daily.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do weekly injections too - so it's not a strange thing for a guy to be injecting it. Mine is prescribed from my doctor. I also get busy and sometimes forget to throw the syringe away immediately or sometimes you might have a small bit of bleeding and need to hold a paper towel/alcohol pad to it and will set the syringe down at that point...... maybe he was trying to do it so fast, and just forgot to throw it away. At least it doesn't sound like he was trying to hide anything from you.

Addicts use about the same size needle as Insulin. Testosterone is used Intramuscular (into the muscle). Insulin is a much shorter needle because it's meant to be subcutaneously (into the fat layer under the skin)

Yes, a typical testosterone syringe is 1 mL to 3 mL with an inch-long needle which would be about the width of that of your annual flu shot. An insulin syringe is typically 0.5 mL (unless the person is highly insulin-resistant) with a half inch--long needle that's quite a bit thinner than the needle of your flu shot.

Insulin syringe

http://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.net/static/img/ea/da/41bda7720fd925f4b62d7ae91a7f.jpg

Intramuscular syringe

june277.jpg

Testosterone by injection is a lot less expensive than by gel or patch. Some insurers (including the one I most commonly work with) will only cover the injection. Tri-mix is also an often-used alternative for erection difficulties. I wouldn't jump to conclusions. I guess you could rummage through his stuff if you're really curious. The vial will probably tell you what he's injecting. If it's testosterone, the bottle will probably say testosterone cypionate.

Topicals from a compounding pharmacy are very inexpensive.

Topicals from a compounding pharmacy are very inexpensive.

Good to know, Rudynate. It's good to have that knowledge, but my patients are mostly pretty indigent, so if it isn't covered by their insurance, it's probably out of their reach for the most part. Some are just fake indigent, though, so they might be able to buy it at the compounding pharmacy.