Saturday Night In LA

Lucky
This topic is 6072 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

With Micki's closed because of fire, and the old hustler bar/restaurant Numbers also closed, I looked for fun in West Hollywood elsewhere Saturday night and didn't really find a whole lot. The club Here was advertising amateur stripper auditions. You were supposed to sign up by 9 pm, and yet at 10 there were no signs of any stripping about to occur, so I went next door to the Abbey, where a mixed gay/straight crowd stood around trying to look like they were having fun. I wasn't.

So I went to FuBar, which was advertsing a party known as Locker Room. Several customers had stripped to their skivvies, and yes, they were the ones you least wanted to see in their skivvies. There were 3 go-go boys, one who was full of energy as he sucked his lollipop and bared his butt. The other two were kind of phoning it in and would never have survived at Micki's. Maybe things got better later, but I am older now so I didn't stay late enough to find out.

But what about Nubers? Previously I had heard that a new owner had bought the place and was going to close it for renovations, then re-open it in all its hustler glory. But the IN magazine columnist Dana Miller, in an interesting article on clubs that are no more, states that when Numbers re-opens it will be called Digits, and no plans exist to make it a hustler heaven.

Oh, the Numbers... I practically lived there for years, at least on nights I could get there, both at the Sunset and then at the Santa Monica Blvd. locations. And I can honestly say I loved it. Closed now, for "renovations". Hmph.

Here's the Dana Miller piece on the disappearing gay watering holes of LA:

"Our bars are burning and being boarded up. Yet change is good and we have always survived. La Cage aux Folles on La Cienega, Greg’s Blue Dot, the Probe and i-Candy are all history. The old Carriage Trade on Beverly is now Jar, and the Blue Parrot morphed into Revolver then into the East/West Lounge. The Boom Boom Room went out with a bang last weekend and, a couple of weeks ago, good guy Michael Niemeyer’s Micky’s became more flaming than usual and is now closed at least until Halloween.

"But like the Buggles sang back in 1979, when MTV-like channels were popping up, in “Video Killed the Radio Star,” the Internet has killed procurement pubs. Do you remember Hunter’s on Santa Monica? It was a totally sleazy hustler bar that made one want to quickly bathe after vacating. That was a case of good riddance. Total skank bar. But now a stately and true gay institution is gone. One of the best hooker bars on the planet has left us. Numbers at 8741 Santa Monica Blvd. has closed. New owner Carlos Pinero has locked the place with plans soon to open as a restaurant and piano bar with the odd idiom, Digits.

"Numbers used to be at 8029 Sunset next to Greenblatt’s Deli. A few years ago it moved down to boys town. The old location is now Hyde Lounge where Lindsay, Britney and Paris poorly play and TMZ waits in the darkness for a scoop. The guys who came and went when it was Numbers would have been horrified to have encountered the press back in the day. See, most of the johns and punters had wives waiting somewhere.

"For years Numbers offered great food, strong drinks and red hot tail. The hottest boys looking to pay rent were yours. For $100, you always dated up at Numbers. You weren't renting brains, but you indeed secured brawn for a few hours. Yet it was also a superb hang for renters. You met like-minded men at Numbers. Fun, smart guys who wanted to talk and throw back a few. One pal of mine, a Tony and Grammy Award-winner was there so often they gave him a Numbers tour jacket. 1:45 a.m. at Numbers looked like the 405 at rush hour, only cute. The boys have moved online and the stools slowly became vacant at the place. It was a class joint in a scary time and I'm sorry to see it go. Earlier this year after a memorial service for Christopher Price, my tribe rushed to Numbers for booze and chat. He would have loved that. Change is good. Today I'm just grumpy about it.

"Quite enough of a rant from me. Don't fret. This too will pass. I wish you a pleasant week, peaceful and without strain.

And here's the link to the whole article:

http://www.inlamag.com/1015/columnists/outabout.html

Sometimes I just hate getting old(er), watching people and things I loved change.....

I am really sorry to hear Numbers has closed as well as Mickeys. I was there in July and it was busy. Not many hustlers, but a good restaurant and bar business. Is it coming back?

I am really sorry to hear Numbers has closed as well as Mickeys. I was there in July and it was busy. Not many hustlers, but a good restaurant and bar business. Is it coming back?

Archived