Retirement Residence

Deadlift1
This topic is 1681 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My husband and I subscribe to two different services, hellofesh and plated. They eliminate meal planning and grocery shopping, but, if anything, meal prep is more complicated because you're always fixing something new. It's great for us because of the amazing variety but a lot of people like having a limited food palette, particularly old people.

Old people also tend to want much less food than one gets from a service.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Charlie is right. During my mother's last year, she couldn't even make toast. It was very difficult to get her to accept help, even when she was "surviving" (but losing weight) on yogurt and cold cuts. My greatest fear is having dementia, but no idea as to how impaired I am. She couldn't even figure out how to put the ATM card into the machine (i.e. tried to put it in sideways), let alone remember her PIN. Yet still believed everything was fine. The last time she drove, she called the police to report her car stolen because she couldn't remember where she had parked it. A bystander eventually found it for her. She blamed the "bad lighting" in the streets.

After my spouse and his brothers took their mother's car away because she was no longer fit to drive, she would frequently call the police to report that her car had been stolen from her driveway. The police quickly learned to just say, "OK, Mrs. K, we will look for it," knowing that she would soon forget about it.

After my spouse and his brothers took their mother's car away because she was no longer fit to drive, she would frequently call the police to report that her car had been stolen from her driveway. The police quickly learned to just say, "OK, Mrs. K, we will look for it," knowing that she would soon forget about it.

Was she living alone?

Yes, Charlie is right. During my mother's last year, she couldn't even make toast. It was very difficult to get her to accept help, even when she was "surviving" (but losing weight) on yogurt and cold cuts. My greatest fear is having dementia, but no idea as to how impaired I am. She couldn't even figure out how to put the ATM card into the machine (i.e. tried to put it in sideways), let alone remember her PIN. Yet still believed everything was fine. The last time she drove, she called the police to report her car stolen because she couldn't remember where she had parked it. A bystander eventually found it for her. She blamed the "bad lighting" in the streets.

I had problems with driving at night since my 40s. Actually, some streets do have very bad lighting. Not saying, your mom was absolutely correct, much more likely that you were.