Jump to content

Warning Police are Targeting Craig's List


Mick NYC
This topic is 5622 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Recommended Posts

The Times article also indicated that undercover cops sometimes target escort services. So why does there never to seem to be a problem with Rentboy or even this site? Have we just been living through a period of police laxness on this issue that can suddenly change?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>So why does there never to

>seem to be a problem with Rentboy or even this site? Have we

>just been living through a period of police laxness on this

>issue that can suddenly change?

 

This site states its assumption that rates are for time only, and rentboy screen each ad to make sure there's no explicit mention of sex for money. I don't know how much protection either of these affords; I suppose proprietors of a site could always claim to be shocked, shocked! that the escorts showing pics of their dilated assholes were offering anything other than bridge lessons.

 

But keep in mind that nobody would go against craigslist or rentboy as a whole: anti-prostitution laws are local (perhaps state) laws, so the battle would have to be fought within a given jurisdiction. (Kiddie porn laws, by contrast, are federal, and whether a site hosts such images is much easier to prove than if it's soliciting sex for money. That's an issue where they'd come after the site as a whole.) And again, even within a jurisdiction, I'd think they'd have to go against the individual escorts and not the site unless they could manufacture some conspiracy or racketeering charge.

 

I doubt any politician or police bureaucrat (a de facto politician) has the stomach to fight that battle in any of the major markets-- the gay vote is too heavily courted in NYC, SF, LA, etc.

 

I can't speak to how it works in other countries.

 

There's another thread going about the 2257 anti-porn law, and I wouldn't be surprised if the IRS would investigate any suspected misdealing by an escort site, and I suspect that's why many sites toe the line so closely on these extraneous issues.

 

Kevin Slater

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>But keep in mind that nobody would go against craigslist or

>rentboy as a whole: anti-prostitution laws are local (perhaps

>state) laws, so the battle would have to be fought within a

>given jurisdiction. (Kiddie porn laws, by contrast, are

>federal, and whether a site hosts such images is much easier

>to prove than if it's soliciting sex for money. That's an

>issue where they'd come after the site as a whole.) And again,

>even within a jurisdiction, I'd think they'd have to go

>against the individual escorts and not the site unless they

>could manufacture some conspiracy or racketeering charge.

 

Interesting you should mention Craigslist. The Feds did actually try to go after CL for housing descrimination and lost the suit resoundingly because yet again the courts ruled that the site owner is not responsible for posts made by its members.

 

That's exactly what (almost) the worst of 2257 will change!

 

If that statute is allowed to stand as proposed, this site is on feeble footing but because we don't show those gaping assholes we're a LITTLE safer. Rentboy and M4RN are toast because of the explicit pictures. MySpace is going to have problems because of some content. Manhunt is outta here.

 

And the worst of 2257 is that it's retroactively effective. A site can't just say "don't do that any more". They're susceptible even if the content pre-dates the law becoming final.

 

That's why ALL of you should follow the guidelines in the 2257 thread and write the letter! Join the Free Speech Coalition. They're leading the legal battle and paying for the high-priced lawyers. Your $25 membership WILL help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a guy who was busted from Craig's list (just about a year ago, in Vegas....of ALL places), I can tell you that I wasn't surprised to read that the cops are "zeroing in" on postings there...

I've spoken to a few of my escort buddies here in Vegas about getting busted....seems it could happen (and HAS) from any of the sites....(BEFORE Craig's list was around).

Even though I know I'm passing up some extra revenue, I'll stay with Rentboy, M4RN etc....

All the best;

Ace

http://www.rentboy.com/ACEROCKSTARFANT

http://www.daddysreviews.com/review.php?who=ace_vegas

http://www.maleescortreview.com/index.php?file=escort_review_view&escort_id=106100760

http://www.escort.sexcia.com/escorts/post_20965.html

http://www.rentboyreviews.com/escortOverview.htm?escortID=10043

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>I doubt any politician or police bureaucrat (a de facto

>politician) has the stomach to fight that battle in any of the

>major markets-- the gay vote is too heavily courted in NYC,

>SF, LA, etc.

 

I don't know about you, but over the years, I have done countless calls and overnights in Nassau County and Chicago (also mentioned in the artcile, i.e., "Cook County"). These are pretty major markets with lots of gay people.

 

Under Giuliani, NYC had an extremely active vice squad. Today, I undertstand they are still somewhat active and focus more on advertisers in the Village Voice and more mainstream print. Something tells me CL might be next on their list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in Nassau County Long Island and I have heard that the Nassau co. PD and District attorney's office are watching Craigslist and they have arrested people offering drugs for sex so I would have to assume that they are watching escort ads.Our fairly new DA,Kathleen Rice,is out to make a name for herself and refuses to plea bargain even the slightest misdemeanor or infraction.Her office is way over budget because just about every case goes to trial.If she does entertain the thought of a plea bargain its only if she can dictate the sentence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...