That's Italian - However On First Thought Probably Not

Gar1eth
This topic is 1762 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are a lot of small Italian restaurants in the northern Dallas suburbs. Some are in freestanding buildings. Others are in strip shopping centers. While I'm sure none of them hold a candle to the Italian restaurants one could find in the Little Italy areas of either NYC or Chicago, all the ones I've been to seem to serve fairly average tasting Americanized Italian food. I'm fine with that as I'm not really a connoisseur.

What's interesting is that they all seem to have a similar menu with some minor variations of course. Two things they all seem to have are garlic rolls which they usually serve either plain or with butter; and a tossed salad with a tomato vinaigrette. Here's a picture of my salad from last night.

IMG_0732.JPG?raw=1

Now I like the salad dressing and the rolls.

This thread is not for you people who grew up eating gnocchi from a plate on your Nona's knee or for you purists who would never eat use but only an plate with olive oil and herbs for dipping. This is a thread for the average guys middle American guys.

So I was wondering if your local non-authentic Italian restaurants also served these garlic rolls and this tomato vinaigrette. As an aside I will day I prefer these garlic rolls to say Olive Garden's Bread Rolls. While I'll eat Olive Garden's rolls, they have always been too salty for me.

Thanking all of y'all in advance for your kind contributions to my thread.

Gman

Why not just ask if we put catsup and mayo on our Big Mac’s?

Garlic rolls and strange salads?....Italian?....I’m still shivering.

Oh....this thread is for “middle” America....sorry....I came here by mistake.

Shiver.

Why not just ask if we put catsup and mayo on our Big Mac’s?

Well basically you do already. Add some relish to the ketchup and mayo, and you'll get the special sauce (ie 1000 Island Dressing) that comes on a Big Mac.

I'm fine with it. I just think it's interesting that 'all' of them have it.

As for whether it's real Italian, I'm not claiming it is. But consider the fact that America made pizza better than its origins in Italy.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

Any Italian restaurant I have ever eaten in always gave an option or the dressing on the salad, while the default might have been a vinegrette…. I like creamy dressings so would opt for a blue cheese or honey mustard, while these might not be the most "Italian themed" they are what I like and a good restaurant always gives options.....(even a BAD restaurant like Olive Garden gave me an option)

Any Italian restaurant I have ever eaten in always gave an option or the dressing on the salad, while the default might have been a vinegrette…. I like creamy dressings so would opt for a blue cheese or honey mustard, while these might not be the most "Italian themed" they are what I like and a good restaurant always gives options.....(even a BAD restaurant like Olive Garden gave me an option)

They have more than this tomato vinaigrette. But this is their house dressing. And I like it. So that's usually what I get. I wish Olive Garden had it as their Italian is too sour for me. And the only other choice I've seen at the OG is Caesar. I'll eat either at OG, but I would prefer them having the tomato vinaigrette or a good garlic dressing either creamy or vinagrette-y would be nice too.

Gman

PS I've missed you @jjkrkwood

There are a lot of small Italian restaurants in the northern Dallas suburbs. Some are in freestanding buildings. Others are in strip shopping centers. While I'm sure none of them hold a candle to the Italian restaurants one could find in the Little Italy areas of either NYC or Chicago, all the ones I've been to seem to serve fairly average tasting Americanized Italian food. I'm fine with that as I'm not really a connoisseur

Have you tried...

Italian-Original-Chicken-Sandwich-BK.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

But consider the fact that America made pizza better than its origins in Italy

... And for at least a decade, Italy has deservedly taken that title back. They make incredible pizza.

As for inauthentic Italian: A good red or pink sauce isn't rocket science, but having a kitchen who understands al dente on the pasta can be the deal-breaker. I can survive eating at a place like OG sans dealing with too much chew (or not enough).

To me, it's as tough to ignore as eating a crap bagel

I would change it as "for at least 130 years" ;)

That's not the history I've heard although I have to give credence to your experience. But my Latin teacher from high school was born in Genoa. She described pizza as something more like an appetizer. It sounded nothing like a dish you'd make a full meal out of.

Gman

That's not the history I've heard although I have to give credence to your experience. But my Latin teacher from high school was born in Genoa. She described pizza as something more like an appetizer. It sounded nothing like a dish you'd make a full meal out of.

Gman

Honestly yr latin teacher doesn't know about pizza. Being from Genova, she must have described to you the focaccia, typical of that area, which is an appetizer/snack. A real pizza is a full meal. And for a REAL pizza you must eat it in Naples.

Edited by Italiano