Why are many massage request clientele unwilling to commit?

Mocha
This topic is 1770 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I advertise On RentMasseur and Adam as masseur. Despite me having met many clients from both, both sites seem to be highly fickle when it comes down to the ones asking for a massage session.

It’s often the ones who are asking for a massage, who seem to not be able to follow thru and commit to appointments. I’ve seen it on both sites. It’s either last minute requests with short notice, or becoming unresponsive when the time comes to coordinating on planning.

I’m wondering if some of it has to do with rates. I pretty much set a starting rate, and then list two other prices as well. Some people may have it in their mind that my massage rates should be something like massage envy or something. But I tell people I’m not a “masseur” nor do I just offer “massages”, but rather an all together experience which just happens to include massage.

I’m considering what prices to increase the volume. Considering I do a lot of travel, I feel it’s not just a factor of price, but also making sure I can get by on the number of people who actually show up.

I have heard this OVER and OVER again from masseurs visiting Atlanta that clients are very flakey. Not sure why this is.

Some of the factors I take into consideration:

1) Price: I look at ads that say they offer this/do that - but that is when they are at their home studio. When they travel obviously they can't offer all that, but yet charge the same price. Perfect example is a bed. I very much prefer a table, but a bed is OK. But don't uncharge the customer to be done on a bed. There is no cost to pass on (ie traveling with it). For me anything over $140 I will seriously question.

2) Location: I'm specifically talking about my area Atlanta. I almost will not go downtown. 1) difficult and $$ to park 2) transit system is difficult and time consuming (I only do weekend massages that is when train schedule is slow plus Atl transit is crowded dirty and just gross). So if I call someone and they say downtown, I usually will not take it further. Know your market and where your clients are. I have asked many why they pick downtown - and the response is typically "because its easier or convenient for me". It should be more about clients than you - sorry if that hurts.

3) "Interview": Personally I like to talk to someone on the phone and ask some questions to make sure it is a good match. There are many ads that say text only or no phone calls. I will generally avoid those. If I call someone and leave VM and then immediately get a text and no phone call, another red flag for me. I seek mostly theraputic (I said mostly not entirely). So when I ask someone what style of massage they do and the first thing they say is erotic, then bye.

4) Reviews: If available I read them. I seriously wonder if many are fake. But I do read them. on RM if all the reviews say erotic or sensual I may steer clear

I have had my share of masseurs. Many are good. But the bad ones are HORRIBLE and perhaps that is why people are shy or reserved about it. I would say be honest when talking to potential clients. Its bad when you get there and have a totally opposite experience based on what was discussed. Most look like their ad pics, but some weren't even close.

Sure masseurs have been burnt before but so have clients. I have many where I paid for an hour and barely got 30 mins.

Two very recent experiences of why I talked to someone but didn't follow through:

1) masseur advertised one price but on the phone quoted me $50 more stating that he can ONLY do outcalls and that is his outcall rate. So he was forcing the client to spend more and have someone come to him. If he offered both in and out and I chose in - that is on me. But to advertise both but say out only No way. Plus $50 to travel few miles tops was ridiculous.

2) was ready to book, but the masseur changed hotel without telling me. It was further away and not easy for me to get to

Ok enough said. Just trying to answer the poster's question from a client perspective and view.

So I advertise On RentMasseur and Adam as masseur. Despite me having met many clients from both, both sites seem to be highly fickle when it comes down to the ones asking for a massage session.

It’s often the ones who are asking for a massage, who seem to not be able to follow thru and commit to appointments. I’ve seen it on both sites. It’s either last minute requests with short notice, or becoming unresponsive when the time comes to coordinating on planning.

I’m wondering if some of it has to do with rates. I pretty much set a starting rate, and then list two other prices as well. Some people may have it in their mind that my massage rates should be something like massage envy or something. But I tell people I’m not a “masseur” nor do I just offer “massages”, but rather an all together experience which just happens to include massage.

I’m considering what prices to increase the volume. Considering I do a lot of travel, I feel it’s not just a factor of price, but also making sure I can get by on the number of people who actually show up.

Hard to give feedback without seeing your ad. Post a link so we can get an idea of how you are presenting yourself in your advertising.. How you present yourself is KEY. You describe your situation, but seeing the ad itself is worth a thousand words, and we can give you more constructive feedback by viewing what you are putting out there.

Taking @Dmitri’s lead, I found your ads. My view is that it was like driving down a beach road with one billboard after another. All these random messages with logistics, rules, emojis, and so on...but alas, nothing about you that creates a connection or humanizes the offering. Frankly, it’s all business...and if that’s what you want, it’s fine...but your posts over many months leave the impression that you’re looking for more. Also, maybe I’m wrong, but you don’t look happy in your pictures.

Links so we can get an idea of the presentation?

But I tell people I’m not a “masseur” nor do I just offer “massages”, but rather an all together experience which just happens to include massage.

I believe I have located your RentMasseur.com ad. My one suggestion is that you not tell people that you are not a masseur, which contradicts your advertising on a site for massage services. Perhaps rephrase it to while you are not a licensed massage therapist, you have for "over 10+ years" been providing an "all together experience" that includes the "ultimate massage experience."

@Mocha , I just looked at your Rentmasseur ad. You are a very hot man, so that is not the issue. I think your photos are great, your ad copy is good, a bit quirky, but that is a good thing since it sets your ad apart. Having a Blog is a bonus, since most masseurs don't use that feature.The 3 issues might be:

1) In your blog you discuss cancellation fees, etc....which I feel is fair. But you also mention (if I read it correctly) that you have a "window" where you might run 15 minutes to an hour late. That is probably turning people off.

2) I think the elephant in the room is your pricing. Your price is $150 on the front page. But in your review section you go more into detail, and your prices are pretty high. You charged one client in a review $240 for 60 minutes....another $250 for 90 minutes. I know extra services were provided from your service menu you provided, but I think clients contact you....go along with booking, etc......then contact other masseurs and find they can get it cheaper and back out on you. I suggest lower prices.

3) If you want to keep prices higher and get a larger pool of clients, I would travel to the larger cities. Your travel schedule (except for Chicago) has smaller cities with less clients who probably have sticker shock at your prices. They get excited that someone hot like you is in their smaller town, book....then have buyer's remorse due to high prices and back out.

Hope this feedback helps. Good luck!

@Mocha, as potential clients, we all have our personal reactions/responses to ads. @Dmitri found your RM ad copy to be ok. @BnaC found it to be random and all business. For me, it’s loaded with red flags and I myself would never consider contacting you if I were reviewing ads in your city with an intent to book a session. Phrases like “be respectful when contacting me” and “serious inquiries only” (twice and in caps) are in no way inviting. There are so many positive ways to put that across.

Also, your ad is confusing as to exactly what you are offering. I very much appreciate that you have therapeutic grayed out, but the text implies otherwise. Strong hands, Swedish techniques, medium to deep pressure, and attention to sore areas all are more therapeutic sounding.

There are lots of unanswered questions too... what is your 30 minute rate, do you have a 90 minute rate, can I use your shower before or after, how much advance notice do you need if I’m looking for today? These are questions that I always want to know as my work and schedule very rarely affords me time to book sessions ahead.

Rest assured, your pics encourage me to read your profile. I think a rewrite of your About Me section that is friendly, clear and complete will result in more serious inquiries, actual bookings and certainly reduced back and forth texting.

Edited by EVdude

@Mocha, as potential clients, we all have our personal reactions/responses to ads. @Dmitri found your ad copy to be ok. @BnaC found it to be random and all business. For me, it’s loaded with red flags and I myself would never consider contacting you if I were reviewing ads in your city with an intent to book a session. Phrases like “be respectful when contacting me” and “serious inquiries only” (twice and in caps) are in no way inviting. There are so many positive ways to put that across.

Also, your ad is confusing as to exactly what you are offering. I very much appreciate that you have therapeutic grayed out, but the text implies otherwise. Strong hands, Swedish techniques, medium to deep pressure, and attention to sore areas all are more therapeutic sounding.

There are lots of unanswered questions too... what is your 30 minute rate, do you have a 90 minute rate, can I use your shower before or after, how much advance notice do you need if I’m looking for today? These are questions that I always want to know as my work and schedule very rarely affords me time to book sessions ahead.

Rest assured, your pics encourage me to read your profile. I think a rewrite of your About Me section that is friendly, clear and complete will result in more serious inquiries, actual bookings and certainly reduced back and forth texting.

Good advice, this! Hey @EVdude can you help me with my next performance review at work?? ;)

4ff580a4857be18176f9c0394543697a.jpg

@Mocha, as potential clients, we all have our personal reactions/responses to ads. @Dmitri found your ad copy to be ok. @BnaC found it to be random and all business. For me, it’s loaded with red flags and I myself would never consider contacting you if I were reviewing ads in your city with an intent to book a session. Phrases like “be respectful when contacting me” and “serious inquiries only” (twice and in caps) are in no way inviting. There are so many positive ways to put that across.

Yeah the caps thing is a deal for me. Its like shouting. Ads that have alot of "dont do this" or "only this" etc are a huge turn off to me personally. Ads with too many rules are annoying.

Hope this and the other replies are helping and you take them in a positive constructive way. After all you did ask for input.

I would barter writing masseur ad copy for free massage sessions?! :p

I actually did that for someone. I"m a great at stuff like that. However, this bit me in the ___ the masseur was an AHOLE (thats the nicest thing I can say).

But that is a good option and worth noting :)

Speaking of profiles that are annoying and why a client might not book. Here are some excerpts. These backup my earlier comment in this thread. This profile has so many rules, do's and don'ts. The upper case is a put off too. His available days and times are very confusing.

READ THE PROFILE BEFORE TEXTING ME:

- TEXT me DO NOT email me concerning your appointment

- Provide 24hr to NLT 3hr notice for requested appointment

YOUR 1st TEXT:

- First Name

- Day

- Time

- Reason

His hours and availability are very confusing based on this (guess he doesn’t work weekends). Times blocked - are those when he does massage or times he doesn’t?

GENERAL AVAILABILITY:

DAYS - Any day but THURSDAY – SATURDAY preferred.

TIMES – Blocked (9-12), (12-3), (3-6), (6-9)

60 mins in call is $60 yet out call is $125 (Double). Then he states:

You Pay Valet Parkin

Edited by BeefyDude

Thanks all for your input: I've been offline as the holiday weekend got hectic.

Rather than quote individual posts, I can add some input to the questions. I also did do some changes to my ad to add more details prior to even reading this, as i like to change my ad periodically.

Some people mentioned red flags about certain things, but you have to understand I've been in all sorts of scenarios. What is it about setting boundaries in an ad that is a red flag? I find when I don't lay out certain expectations in my ad, things slide and people play ignorance later. So I have to emphasis "SERIOUS CLIENTS ONLY", and cancellation fees, and keeping their session. I also bring up "being late" to a session, because some people call with unrealistic expectations of arrival.

I don't want to be in a situation where I'm in an unfamiliar city, and a client calls with 30 minutes notice wanting an outcall. I also don't want to be in a position where I've traveled to a city, got set up in a hotel, only to be cancelled on because the travel time took a few minutes (and I literally mean a few minutes, not 2 hours) longer than expected (its like sod laws, that I get a client wanting to meet the day I arrive into town) some have expectations that I'm already "here". That's when the emphasis on advanced notice is brought up.

As for rates, like I said: I'm not saying I'm not a certified masseur. I'm just saying I don't make a living off giving massages. I make a living providing "experiences". Therefore, I don't have interest in charging $50-$100 for a massage, because i don't work in the volume and capacity that a "masseur" would be expected to see.

That said, I can always appreciate having some input and tweaks to my ad as well. I do travel a lot, but right now my lifestyle is on the road. That may be changing soon, but for right now I'm basically doing the tour around as I find its a lot better money than staying put in Kansas City and trying to build a client base...a place I've been based over the last few months

Edited by Mocha

Mocha,

I respect your position. Honest I do.

I looked at your profile again. I didn't see that much changed.

Do you really need to UPPER case certain words (and repeat them)? It is a turn off for many and it gives the perception of yelling and shouting.

You said you never mentioned you are a certified masseur - but then again you never said you are not (given fact most on RM are probably not)

** please take this as helpful critique (after all you did post asking for input) I'm just being honest and real, but your add still has a hint of attitude. I also (from a client perspective) see alot of rules and do's/don't's. That could be what is driving some clients away.

I'm asking not be mad at my post. Again you posted asking for input. Many, like me, have provided. From some other recent posts I have learned to see the side of the masseur. Same token masseurs need to see the side of the client.

Having said that, I wish you all the best!!!

First your are dealing with the general public. Expect flakiness. But to be honest, some masseurs aren't all that reliable either. Masseur's can be just as hard to pin down as clients. Some never respond back. Some only do after numerous attempts. I recently had an issue with a masseur who chastised me for emailing him rather then texting him, that is why you missed me he said. I said "I saw you were ONLINE when I sent the request, your profile has an EMAIL OPTION. If email is not your desired mode of contact then disable it! I as a client should not have to chase you down to set up a session. (He later apologized and said he looks forward to a second opportunity to meet). Just sayin, it ain't always the client.

First your are dealing with the general public. Expect flakiness. But to be honest, some masseurs aren't all that reliable either. Masseur's can be just as hard to pin down as clients. Some never respond back. Some only do after numerous attempts. I recently had an issue with a masseur who chastised me for emailing him rather then texting him, that is why you missed me he said. I said "I saw you were ONLINE when I sent the request, your profile has an EMAIL OPTION. If email is not your desired mode of contact then disable it! I as a client should not have to chase you down to set up a session. (He later apologized and said he looks forward to a second opportunity to meet). Just sayin, it ain't always the client.

Good point. There have been many masseurs where I have made more than several attempts to reach them - crickets

If you are that busy and can't accept appt, have the courtesy to respond and say so