Clear + TSA Precheck/Global Entry?

Spursy
This topic is 1780 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thoughts on whether Clear is worth the annual fee if someone already has TSA Precheck/Global Entry? I fly 10-20 times a year. I am willing to pay to make air travel quicker, more convenient, or less annoying. It seems that the main benefit of Clear is skipping the Precheck line. My personal experience (admittedly anecdotal) has been that precheck lines haven't been all that bad with limited exceptions (ATL and MCO, neither of which is my home airport). I should add that I mostly fly Delta if that makes any difference. Appreciate your thoughts.

I recently was given an offer to try Clear for three months for free, and I also have TSA/Global Entry. I think I will still pick up the option to pay extra for Clear when the free trial period ends, as you got straight to the front of the security line. I have found that so many people have tsa pre-check now as to make it almost pointless, on occasion I have found the line to be almost the same as without, and in one case even longer. My main reason is that the airports I tend to fly from are usually the really busy ones, NYC/Chicago and for me it's worth it

Thoughts on whether Clear is worth the annual fee if someone already has TSA Precheck/Global Entry? I fly 10-20 times a year. I am willing to pay to make air travel quicker, more convenient, or less annoying. It seems that the main benefit of Clear is skipping the Precheck line. My personal experience (admittedly anecdotal) has been that precheck lines haven't been all that bad with limited exceptions (ATL and MCO, neither of which is my home airport). I should add that I mostly fly Delta if that makes any difference. Appreciate your thoughts.

All i will tell you is make sure you have a platinum card from Amex. Precheck comes free plus you get access to delta skylounge and centuriom lounges plus get delta benefits.

I fly 20+ times per year with a quarter of that international. I just renewed my Global Entry on line a few weeks ago. It was much easier than the first time around and no interview was required. The approval came in less than a week. The AmEx statement credit was posted very quickly as well.

I’ve also got Clear and it’s a real time saver for me. I fly out of DCA and IAD which have a lot of airline premium passengers and TSA Pre members. The lines at peak times can be long even in TSA Pre.

It’s a great feeling to walk up to the Clear kiosk, receive a smile and “welcome to Clear” from their team members. The staff is very friendly and provide assistance with the scanner if needed. Then they take you to the TSA Pre station and say “ he’s Clear” to the agent. You get waived on through very quickly.

It’s funny to see the looks on some faces when I’ve cut the line and get waived in as well.

CLEAR is great and a deal if you provide them with a DL Skymiles number. $99 a year, methinks. Cheaper if you're an elite- or free, depending on how high your status.

If you're near an airport (or arena) that uses CLEAR, they're convenient and easy. I've kept a legacy membership since the beginning and it's served me well, especially with PreCheck lines becoming increasingly more long.

To those who said the Amex Plat comes with Global Entry and/or PreCheck: Sorta, but not exactly. It's a statement reimbursement and only if you qualify for the program. Many people end up getting turned down by GE after the interview (and background check).

• 2 weeks later...

I was invited by a friend to try it and chose not to because I have TSA Precheck/Global Entry. But my friend that has both swears by it. I may consider it when I have to renew GE because anything to make the hassle of airport visits is worth it now a days.

I signed up for Clear based on the advice here and it was good advice. Took about 3 minutes to complete the process at the airport, and then saved me from a 100 to 150-person deep TSA Precheck line on my return flight from Denver.

Darlings! Darlings! What is this Pre-Check, and Clear business? For the hoi polloi I tell ya.

Jimboivyo & I fly in Private Jets for our trips. But Global Entry does help on your return from International trips.

Many people end up getting turned down by GE after the interview (and background check).
When I applied for Global Entry, I scheduled my interview at the LA Cruiseship Terminal during the middle of the day, in the middle of the week. There were 4 CBP officers in the office. All four went through the process so they could learn. It took about 15 minutes but the interview was minimal. They were worried about getting the procedures correct.

My GE interview took less than 10 minutes and was uneventful. I’ve never had bad experiences with long pre-check lines in my two airports. GE is great for international. I can be from my biz class seat to the train in under 10 minutes. I always carry on, even on month-long trips, so I’ve eliminated that stress point from my travels. Staying at Airbnb overseas makes laundry a snap.

I always carry on, even on month-long trips, so I’ve eliminated that stress point from my travels. Staying at Airbnb overseas makes laundry a snap.
Carry on? No darling! My shoes, my shoes!! ? Any idea how many pairs of shoes a guy need for a month long trip? Then again, looking at your profile pic, perhaps you do... Admit it - you FedEx your boots ahead of time! ?

I have all three. If you're not an international traveller, global entry probably isn't worth it, Mobile passport is a free, not widely known about alternative to get through US customs pretty quickly. TSA pre check is worth it. Clear isn't available at all US airports, it was great during the govt shutdown when not as many TSA agents were working.

I travel with a cane and ALWAYS ask for wheel chair and I am precheck. Atlanta, Denver, Charlotte, Chicago have their act together with contractor firms to meet me at connecting flights, stopping for a poddy, hauling my ass from Concourse X to B. While I never travel with cash - I now make a point to have $10 bills on me - these people work their asses off. Typically they are immigrants from some third world and have the the NICEST people.

Downside at Denver - Me and attendant make it by TSA in ten minutes - but we waited 25 minutes for my wheelchair to be scanned (wiped). GOVCO TSA DEN doesn't allow having two sets of chairs inside and outside screening.

I (Ace) use both regularly for work. Clear is really only good at the busy airports during the busiest times. Denver and LAX can be really helpful, for example, but both lines are just as fast at some other airports that are less busy. It also depends on time of day you're accessing. Lines for the early-morning outbound connecting flights can be long whereas midday is usually quiet. The first year is reimbursed completely by AmEx Platinum. After that the charge is not covered. I generally like it, but I've also thought it's a waste at some airports.

Carry on? No darling! My shoes, my shoes!! ? Any idea how many pairs of shoes a guy need for a month long trip? Then again, looking at your profile pic, perhaps you do... Admit it - you FedEx your boots ahead of time! ?

HAHA! I've never shipped a pair of boots overseas (not yet). You'd be surprised how much you can pack into a Rimowa carry-on and a carry-on backpack, esp. if you use cubes. I take two pairs of shoes (wearing one pair) 2 jeans, 2 shorts, 7 underwear and shirts and a rain jacket. Staying at AirBnb means I can wash my stuff regularly. I hate checking bags.