Spleenless?

g56whiz
This topic is 1785 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’m in the hospital with ITP: my spleen is eating my platelets and in danger of internal bleeding. Got a few protocols to go before the splenectomy. Any body have experience with life without a spleen?

Please no sympathy. I’m otherwise strong even emotionally and spiritually. I’m the most vigorous patient in the Oncology/Hematology section and I’m getting excellent care. But I’ve been here too long: I’m in real danger of cabin fever and I’m beginning to like the food.

Thnx.

I’m in the hospital with ITP: my spleen is eating my platelets and in danger of internal bleeding. Got a few protocols to go before the splenectomy. Any body have experience with life without a spleen?

Please no sympathy. I’m otherwise strong even emotionally and spiritually. I’m the most vigorous patient in the Oncology/Hematology section and I’m getting excellent care. But I’ve been here too long: I’m in real danger of cabin fever and I’m beginning to like the food.

Thnx.

My cousin had his spleen removed after a car accident. He is doing just fine without it - it does impact your immune system. Its been 8 years. Hope you can make your escape soon!! ;)

I have ITP. I was diagnosed 35 years ago,was treated with prednisone and I went into remission for 35 years but never had a platelet count higher than 75k. 4 years ago I came out of remission when platelets dropped to 2k. I was told to get to an emergency room where I was started on 120mg of prednisone and put in ICU. Platelet count rose after a few days and I was released after 5 days and kept on 60 mg of prednisone for nearly a year. When tapering dose got below 20mg my platelet count dropped to 20k so docs got approved for injections of NPLATE. One weekly injection and after 8 weeks my count was way over 100k and docs stopped injections and for 4 years now my count stays in the 150-180k area.

My docs told me that removing the spleen would not necessarily be a cure. Check out this website. I learned so much about ITP. https://pdsa.org/

I have ITP. I was diagnosed 35 years ago,was treated with prednisone and I went into remission for 35 years but never had a platelet count higher than 75k. 4 years ago I came out of remission when platelets dropped to 2k. I was told to get to an emergency room where I was started on 120mg of prednisone and put in ICU. Platelet count rose after a few days and I was released after 5 days and kept on 60 mg of prednisone for nearly a year. When tapering dose got below 20mg my platelet count dropped to 20k so docs got approved for injections of NPLATE. One weekly injection and after 8 weeks my count was way over 100k and docs stopped injections and for 4 years now my count stays in the 150-180k area.

My docs told me that removing the spleen would not necessarily be a cure. Check out this website. I learned so much about ITP. https://pdsa.org/

MANY thanks for that link.

I’ve had all that plus chemo (Rituxan). Still stuck at one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I’m going to keep my Spleen. Two weeks ago I got to the Emergency Room with a minor heart attack and a platelet count of 2.

I’d been treated in San Antonio. I live in Laredo. My local cardiologist called in a local hematologist. He reviewed the treatments I’d gotten and conferred with my SA hematologist. But being on the border and he knew the prevalence of H.pylori. Sure enough! He added antibiotics I’m going home today with a platelet level of 59 and hope for the future. Amen!