Str8 guys less concerned with race than Gay Men?

studchaser
This topic is 1856 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me good race relations are about respect. If Asians don’t turn you on, that doesn’t make you racist. If you don’t want to date blacks, no that doesn’t make you racist. Just be respectful and treat others cordially.

Good points!!!

However,

One can also have these preferences and be 100% racist as well.

Regardless of the person’s level of bigotry, that individual has the right to be attracted to (or not), whomever they choose.

It deserves no explanation.

I also want to say that in the spirit of protecting political correctness and promoting a “rose colored glasses”, approach to how things operate in the real world.... it appears that we are trying to fade out the fact that racism is well and prevalent in the gay community. We cannot sweep that under the rug.

I feel that ones societal beliefs and sexual preferences can, in many cases blur.

Typically, from what I have observed, many whites who don’t find other ethnicities attractive, have views outside of their sexuality that are aligned with general social racism.

When I am in environments with racist white gays, I’m never offended that they aren’t attracted to me... I am annoyed that they feel that I shouldn’t even be present in their space.. (bars, clubs, events, etc.)... because in reality, the space isn’t theirs.

From what I have witnessed, most people who have racial sexual “preferences”, also have social racial beliefs and ideologies that promote segregation, separatism, and a Eurocentric, elitist mentality.

I’m not bothered by that either. I’m bothered that no one ever seems to have the balls to just be real with it.

Typically, from what I have observed, many whites who don’t find other ethnicities attractive, have views outside of their sexuality that are aligned with general social racism. When I am in environments with racist white gays.....

Seems a dubious assertion. On what grounds do you base this conclusion? You are tarring most white gays with the racist label, and then profess your annoyance because we won't just admit that you are right. BS

Seems a dubious assertion. On what grounds do you base this conclusion? You are tarring most white gays with the racist label, and then profess your annoyance because we won't just admit that you are right. BS

I never said that most white gays are racist. I stated that the ones who are should just be honest about it.

I’m basing my conclusions on my personal life experiences as a black gay man, living in a city, largely populated with white gay men, with a percentage who specifically do not like other ethnic groups.

Not a judgment or a tarring. Just an observation.

I will assume that you are a white gay man (correct me if I am wrong). And I will respectfully ask you to have a realistic reflection on discussions and views shared about race, when there are only gay white men in the room, with no other groups present, and there’s room to be free with political correctness.

I’ll say that I’ve never been a fly on the wall in those conversations, but I have a very good friend who is “ethnically ambiguous”, (mixed with Native American, Mexican and Irish)... and white counterparts assume he’s white. He’s informed me of how those “real” conversations go, and he was floored, mortified and disgusted.

However, I wasn’t shocked at all.

I do agree with you that not all gay white men are racist. However, to paint a broad stroke and state that none of those who assert “preferences”, have a racist bone in their body, is a bit naive.

I will assume that you are a white gay man (correct me if I am wrong). And I will respectfully ask you to have a realistic reflection on discussions and views shared about race, when there are only gay white men in the room, with no other groups present, and there’s room to be free with political correctness.

I am a Mexican-American/Latinx. I think you're really on to something...we all just need to be more reflective of our own prejudices and stereotypes about gay men of other races and ethnicities. I'll be the first to reflect that when I was just out of college I thought I wasn't very attracted to Asian men, but in deconstructing it in my mind I think it had just something to do with stereotypes that Asian men are not as sexual or something. However, I have gotten better at being open minded and have actually dated Asian men including one for more than three years. And of course the sex was amazing...it was just me having to be more open minded.

I am not trying to say that an individual is racist because they don't date people of color. But I think societal racism is basically a form of social conditioning that absolutely does lead to individual preferences on race. Until Virginia V. Loving only about 50 years ago, it was actually against the law in many places for a man and a woman of different races to marry. And even to this day interracial marriage remains fairly low with only about 15 percent of marriages. And the white population is actually the least likely to intermarry with only about 2 percent of white people marrying someone outside their race. Sexuality is definitely a complicated thing, but I do think our society's views on race absolutely plays a part in our attraction to or at least our willingness to couple with those of other races and ethnicities.

The race that is in the majority,mathematically speaking is always going to have the lowest rates of interracial marriage, because you can only marry one person at a time, and you each contribute to your own race's stats.. Think about it - imagine a population of 80 white people and 20 black people. At MOST, 25% of the white people can marry outside of their race, and if they do that, that means 100% of the black people are marrying outside of their race.

The race that is in the majority,mathematically speaking is always going to have the lowest rates of interracial marriage, because you can only marry one person at a time, and you each contribute to your own race's stats.. Think about it - imagine a population of 80 white people and 20 black people. At MOST, 25% of the white people can marry outside of their race, and if they do that, that means 100% of the black people are marrying outside of their race.

Well yes, but the data on intermarriage I was pulling from the 2010 census showed not just that whites were the least likely to marry outside their race (which BTW is only a 60 percent majority at this point), but they married at rates much, much lower than any other group. If we randomly coupled 100 adults that represented the racial breakdown of the United States, I doubt the number of white people partnering with someone of another race would be as low as two percent. I'm no mathematician, but that would almost seem impossible.

For what it's worth more recent data from Pew has white people marrying someone outside their race at 11 percent (https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/05/18/intermarriage-in-the-u-s-50-years-after-loving-v-virginia/) though the data is different because Pew is looking at newlyweds whereas the census was looking at all married couples. The reality is interracial marriage is still a minority of all new marriages for all racial groups (18 percent for African-Americans, 27 percent for Hispanics and 29 percent for Asians). Only 17 percent of new marriages overall are interracial marriages according to the Pew survey.

I also want to say that in the spirit of protecting political correctness and promoting a “rose colored glasses”, approach to how things operate in the real world.... it appears that we are trying to fade out the fact that racism is well and prevalent in the gay community. We cannot sweep that under the rug.

I feel that ones societal beliefs and sexual preferences can, in many cases blur.

Typically, from what I have observed, many whites who don’t find other ethnicities attractive, have views outside of their sexuality that are aligned with general social racism.

When I am in environments with racist white gays, I’m never offended that they aren’t attracted to me... I am annoyed that they feel that I shouldn’t even be present in their space.. (bars, clubs, events, etc.)... because in reality, the space isn’t theirs.

From what I have witnessed, most people who have racial sexual “preferences”, also have social racial beliefs and ideologies that promote segregation, separatism, and a Eurocentric, elitist mentality.

I’m not bothered by that either. I’m bothered that no one ever seems to have the balls to just be real with it.

I think I wholeheartedly agree with this. I feel alot of ppl dont understand how implicit bias affects our sexual preferences. To many people are very proud to proclaim they dont do blacks or they dont do Asians. They are often vicious when they say it or dismissive and Im not sure which is worse. Similar to the old adage of no fems no fats we remember from the early craigslist days. I do agree its natural and normal to prefer types of people you are familiar with but you should always soul search and ask yourself why you would disregard whole groups of ppl. It may not result in an erection but it may help you become a better person.