Gentleman Jack

This topic is 1755 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just saw the first episode of this new (?) HBO series. The script is taken from the diaries of Anne Lister who was born in 1791 and lived through much of early Victorian England. At the outset it is clear that Anne is not your ordinary, retiring English woman. While she does not vocally declare she is lesbian everything about her declares her sexuality. Her dress (very becoming for any Victorian man), how she speaks, and the fact that she holds nothing back in flirting with various woman. At the beginning of the episode she has come back to live with her very well off parents in a smaller English village. Anne has left another English town after an "incident" in which the other participant has decided to marry a man to conform to the times. Although she is obviously heartbroken from the ending of her last affair, she decides she is very capable to manage the affairs of her parent's estate - certainly better than her father and obviously better than her sister (who she does not get along with). She makes no attempt to hide her sexuality or not go after what she wants - a wife to live with forever. The actress who plays "Jack" is great; charismatic, really smart, capable, but at the same time very empathetic to others pain and vulnerable in her own way. If the other episodes are as good as the first one the series will be well worth watching.

Lister actor(ress) is lead in Netflix series Dr Foster, worth a peak as well.

Anne/Jack's paternal spinster aunt, sister of her father (the old dude there) is the older woman at Shibden. The mother is dead. Anne/Jack had years before obtained co-ownership from her paternal uncle and this aunt (his sibling), the idea being that she would inherit fully. Her father (a third sibling in the older generation) and sister resided there without ownership claim.

Edited by SirBIllybob

Also check out the Thomas Snowden character (Tom Lewis). He is a minor character in the drama. He is a coal worker whose family has a tenancy on Lister's estate. The father who has the tenancy on the farm goes missing. Sure Thomas is a pig farmer but boy is he handsome.

Tom-Lewis-1.png

MV5BNzQxNTNjNmUtYWIwOC00NGEyLTgxMzAtM2I2ZTU1YWRkOTRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODEzOTY2ODE@._V1_.jpg

This is from a different drama.

MV5BNmFlYmI2MzEtZjZkYi00YWU2LTgxZTctNzE1NzAxMzY4NzhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODEzOTY2ODE@._V1_.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I did not realize that the writer of Gentleman Jack (Sally Wainwright) is also the writer of Last Tango in Halifax. That was also a terrific series and one of the main characters was a lesbian. It went three seasons here in America (not sure if it went for more in Britain) but it was a great series.

• 1 month later...

@TruthBTold, just yesterday @RealAvalon mentioned Last Tango in Halifax in the thread about Broadchurch (also in the Television Forum) ...

https://m4m-forum.org/threads/broadchurch.151194/

… and I posted this morning that, although I thought it was over, there's reportedly MORE Last Tango in Halifax coming next year ...

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-05-27/last-tango-in-halifax-returns-four-new-episodes-sally-wainwright-bbc1/

@TruthBTold, just yesterday @RealAvalon mentioned Last Tango in Halifax in the thread about Broadchurch (also in the Television Forum) ...

https://m4m-forum.org/threads/broadchurch.151194/

… and I posted this morning that, although I thought it was over, there's reportedly MORE Last Tango in Halifax coming next year ...

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-05-27/last-tango-in-halifax-returns-four-new-episodes-sally-wainwright-bbc1/

Thanks very much for letting us know. Anne Reid finished her stint when she played out her part in Years and Years. I suppose Derek Jacobi could take whichever part he wanted. I hope they all come back.