My Phone Number Was Exposed on RentMasseur

niceandthick
This topic is 1892 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I wrote about this yesterday as part of another thread. I feel that it deserves a thread of its own.

I visited a masseur's ad on RentMasseur this past Sunday and again on Monday. I noticed Monday afternoon that I had received 2 texts from that masseur directly to my cell phone. I asked the masseur how he got me number and he sent me a picture of my phone number displayed in my profile. It looks like it would appear if you clicked the "call me" option. I didn't remember entering my phone number anywhere...but then realized that I had just upgraded my account to a Premium membership last month. I was probably asked for it during that process.

I searched my profile using my computer to find where my phone number was entered so that I could remove it. I could not find it anywhere. I reached out to RentMasseur and they quickly responded that they removed my phone number. I asked them how my number was exposed like that. They responded with

--

Hello again,

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed, there was an issue on the mobile version of RentMasseur and the client phone numbers were visible there.

We have already forwarded the issue to our developer team and they'll fix it until the end of the day.

We're sorry for any inconvenience and we thank you for informing us about the issue!

Regards,

WebAdmin

--

I still don't know how anyone would be able to tell. To the person you are calling, your number should show up like any other phone number, no?

Here is one method but it requires a little legwork. Not sure how they would tell as the number is coming in: http://www.freecarrierlookup.com/

If it says something like Sybase or Bandwidth then it is a VOIP number. For example, mine says "Go-TextMe (Sybase) "

Sorry to learn of your troubles @niceandthick

RentMasseur is not a particular interest of mine and I’m out so unlikely to be embarrassed. But I’d be very annoyed if ANY website or person posted my phone number online. If this really has upset you, maybe you just have to change your phone-number

Thanks. Luckily it was my VOIP number so I am not that concerned. If it had been my real number, I would have more concern. I merely posted to share my experience...and as a warning to others.

Guest InthePines
I believe that I entered my phone number as part of my upgrade process from a regular membership to a platinum membership last month.

That's concerning. I upgraded a year ago , but I didn't enter my phone number, nor remember a place to enter one. The premium membership only allows viewing of the private photos, so if I experienced your issues, I would probably delete the profile and create a new one. Thanks for the freecarrier info.

It’s a security concern...

Your line of work is a security concern. The phone service someone uses is not. I can go to 10 stores within 1 mile of my home and buy a completely untraceable burner cell with cash. You'd never know I was calling from one. Don't trick yourself into thinking you are "safe" because you don't take calls from google voice. It's naive.