HPV and oral sex

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 910 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ncm2169

The recent media blitz about the HPV virus, and the new vaccination against it, has focused mainly on young girls/women. However my online research tells me that the virus can be transmitted via oral sex, albeit on rare (less rare?) occasions, whether that be male-female or male-male oral sex.

Any thoughts or comments? Should males who give or receive oral sex from other males be vaccinated?

I've found this curious, since it takes two to spread an STD, but men have NOT been advised to get the HPV vaccine. In fact, I don't even know if it's been tested or FDA approved for men. The main problem with HPV is cervical cancer, but men can get anal cancer from it, and uncircumcised men can get penile cancer from it. A recent study showed that almost 30% of women in the US have been exposed to HPV.

The new HPV vaccine is NOT FDA-approved for men.

It currently only works (best) in young females who have yet to have sexual contact. HPV is one of the biggest precursors to cervical cancer in women which is one of the main reasons why Texas Gov Rick Perry is wanting to make the vaccine mandatory for young women in all public schools. It's a controversial step for a rather right-wing state, but most people are with him on this one.

To amend above info on HPV transmission: It can be transmitted through more than just oral sex. ANY kind of skin-to-skin contact can contract the problem. 90% of people who have HPV are carriers and rarely show symptoms. Recent studies peg 1 out of every 6 gay men are HPV positive. I'm not completely sure how valid that number is, but it's a frightening statistic nonetheless.

BN

• 14 years later...
14 hours ago, Quincy_7 said:

There's really no excuse to not have had your HPV shot.

I've tried several times, even with a doctor's prescription, to get the HPV shot. Unfortunately, every pharmacy and even my local University Health Center would not give it to me because even though the FDA approved it for men my age, the CDC has not.

3 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

I've tried several times, even with a doctor's prescription, to get the HPV shot. Unfortunately, every pharmacy and even my local University Health Center would not give it to me because even though the FDA approved it for men my age, the CDC has not.

Is the pharmacy refusing to administer it, or is it simply that your insurance company won't pay? At this time, it's approved for use in men ages 9 to 45, so if it's prescribed, a pharmacy shouldn't balk at administering it. However, assuming you're 39 as your user ID implies, your insurance may balk at paying, because the CDC states the vaccine has limited benefit after the age of 26. Only the FDA has the authority to approve or disapprove of a vaccine or medication. To do this, the vaccine has to be proven safe and efficacious for the particular age and indication. The CDC's role is to make recommendations as to appropriate use. If a vaccine such as the HPV9 has only minimal efficacy at a certain age, the CDC may label it as safe but not recommended due to minimal efficacy. This is what determines whether Medicare/Medicaid/MediCal and, often, what private insurance will be willing to reimburse. 

If you're willing to plunk down the $300 for the shots, you should be able to find a pharmacy willing to administer the immunization. 

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/gardasil-9

"Indicated in boys and men 9 through 45 years of age for the prevention of the following diseases:
Anal, oropharyngeal and other head and neck cancers caused by HPV types 16, 18, 31, 33, 45, 52, and 58.
Genital warts (condyloma acuminata) caused by HPV types 6 and 11.
And the following precancerous or dysplastic lesions caused by HPV types 6, 11, 16, 18, 31, 33, 45, 52, and 58:
Anal intraepithelial neoplasia (AIN) grades 1, 2, and 3
."

https://www.cdc.gov/hpv/parents/vaccine-for-hpv.html

Everyone through age 26 years should get HPV vaccine if they were not fully vaccinated already.

HPV vaccination is not recommended for everyone older than age 26 years.

• Some adults age 27 through 45 years who were not already vaccinated might choose to get HPV vaccine after speaking with their doctor about their risk for new HPV infections and possible benefits of vaccination for them.
  • HPV vaccination of adults provides less benefit, because more people in this age range were exposed to HPV already.

18 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Is the pharmacy refusing to administer it, or is it simply that your insurance company won't pay? At this time, it's approved for use in men ages 9 to 45, so if it's prescribed, a pharmacy shouldn't balk at administering it. However, assuming you're 39 as your user ID implies, your insurance may balk at paying, because the CDC states the vaccine has limited benefit after the age of 26.

It is indeed the pharmacys' decision, because I offered to pay cash at both Walgreens and CVS, and the clinic at my university doesn't accept insurance.  I was turned away by all three.

I am 38, and I repeatedly asked for the HPV vaccine when I was 33 to 36 . My doctor was fully supportive and wrote me a prescription.  Pharmacies told me they won't administer it because their company's policies was to follow the CDC guidelines of under age 26, and I was too old, regardless of FDA approval for up to age 45.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982

1 hour ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

It is indeed the pharmacys' decision, because I offered to pay cash at both Walgreens and CVS, and the clinic at my university doesn't accept insurance.  I was turned away by all three.

I am 38, and I repeatedly asked for the HPV vaccine when I was 33 to 36 . My doctor was fully supportive and wrote me a prescription.  Pharmacies told me they won't administer it because their company's policies was to follow the CDC guidelines of under age 26, and I was too old, regardless of FDA approval for up to age 45.

I am sorry to hear about your experience. Was able to get the vaccine two years ago at my local CVS MinuteClinic. Both shots. Insurance paid for it even though I was older than 26. 

I am a little shocked that the pharmacy would overrule your primary care physician - they are exposing themselves to great liability. You could sue since they are refusing you care...or file a complaint with your State's oversight board. Can get them I to some real trouble. 

7 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Could you try an independent pharmacy? I'd also recommend going back to your family doctor and asking if he/she could pull a few strings for you. 

Edited by Quincy_7

11 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Sorry, but the pharmacies are simply factually wrong about the CDC guidelines. As shown in my link to the CDC position on this vaccine, their position is thus: "Some adults age 27 through 45 years who were not already vaccinated might choose to get HPV vaccine after speaking with their doctor about their risk for new HPV infections and possible benefits of vaccination for them." I would ask around some more, and try to work cordially by showing them the actual CDC positions on this matter, perhaps going to the corporate managers if the local pharmacist gets pig-headed. If this means a lot to you, and being nice doesn't work, you could always get nasty, maybe going to the press and/or the state pharmacy board. Bear in mind, of course, that the benefit in someone your age is thought to be minimal, since you've probably already been exposed at your age, unless you're a late bloomer. Another possibility is a local STD clinic, public health clinic, or gay men's health clinic if there is one. Those places may carry the vaccine themselves. Don't give up if you want the shot; don't give in to ignorance. 

Edited by Unicorn

1 minute ago, john1973 said:

Planned Parenthood will give you the shots. Your health insurance will likely reimburse you or them, thanks to Obamacare.

That's a great resource if it's in your area (not if you're in Texas 😱). Don't count on your health insurance reimbursing you. The reason the CDC didn't give a big thumbs up to the vaccine is precisely because they didn't want to force insurance companies to have to pay for this expensive vaccine which helps increasingly little as adulthood progresses. They might, but more than likely they won't. 

Could you find a doctors office that would give it. My doctors office gave it to me and I had the same problem, my insurance wouldn't pay for it because I was 44 at the time I received it, I just had to pay my doctor's office cash.  You could try your local public health STD clinic or a doctor that specializes in Infectious Disease (that's why my doctor's office had it, as his speciality is ID.)