CBD oil...has anyone tried it?

Beancounter
This topic is 1930 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If there are previous threads on this subject I couldn’t find them. If there are please point me in the right direction.

After researching CBD oil I decided to take the plunge and try it out to see if it will help with my occasional bouts of insomnia. Tonight is dose one for me so I’m not sure if it’s going to benefit me or not. I was wondering if anyone has used it and what their results were. I talked with my physician before trying it and he indicated to me that several of his patients use it with differing degrees of effectiveness.

Edited by Beancounter

I can't speak to CBD as I haven't tried it, but I can give another idea. I'm not in need every night but from time to time I just know I'm going to have a bad night - maybe once every couple weeks at most. I discovered the benefit of Aleve PM. Advil has a similar product, but doesn't work for me, only Aleve. It's regular Aleve with an added low-dose relaxent of some type. The dose is 2 tablets, but I find only one does the trick. I pop one maybe 30 minutes before going to bed, hit the pillow and I'm in dreamland. They say to only use it when you can get a full night's sleep, and I would follow that as I'm dead to the world for 7-8 hours. Then I wake up refreshed and with no groggy "I took a pill" feeling. A side benefit is that it, at least for me, produces wild vivid dreams. Really crazy but not in a nightmare sort of vein, but weird - and I remember them the next morning.

I used CBD oil for RA pain. It helped enough for me to be able to tell if I forgot to take it. CBD oil has no (or minute) THC. It needs to come from a reputable grower source!

SunSoil in Vermont (formally Green Mountain CBD) and Lazarous on the west coast are the two I have used (for myself and my dog). Larzarous offers 60% Veterans discount.

I evolved:) beyond CBD to THC! and all my RA pain disappeared - I no longer have to use pain killers - prescription OR over the counter.

I also sleep soundly.

I can't speak to CBD as I haven't tried it, but I can give another idea. I'm not in need every night but from time to time I just know I'm going to have a bad night - maybe once every couple weeks at most. I discovered the benefit of Aleve PM. Advil has a similar product, but doesn't work for me, only Aleve. It's regular Aleve with an added low-dose relaxent of some type. The dose is 2 tablets, but I find only one does the trick. I pop one maybe 30 minutes before going to bed, hit the pillow and I'm in dreamland. They say to only use it when you can get a full night's sleep, and I would follow that as I'm dead to the world for 7-8 hours. Then I wake up refreshed and with no groggy "I took a pill" feeling. A side benefit is that it, at least for me, produces wild vivid dreams. Really crazy but not in a nightmare sort of vein, but weird - and I remember them the next morning.

It’s Benadryl (plus NSAID)

Here's the thing... CBD is great, but THC is better. You can get products with very low doses of THC and high doses of CBD and you get a more complete and effective result. If marijuana is not legal where you live and that's not an option, continue to experiment with CBD only, but don't invest too heavily in any product until you know how it works. Unfortunately from brand to brand and product to product you might have different results. As far as topical CBD, I think it's a waste. I have not tried any topical CBD product that has had any positive effect. Our dogs love their CBD treats though!

Here's the thing... CBD is great, but THC is better. You can get products with very low doses of THC and high doses of CBD and you get a more complete and effective result. If marijuana is not legal where you live and that's not an option, continue to experiment with CBD only, but don't invest too heavily in any product until you know how it works. Unfortunately from brand to brand and product to product you might have different results. As far as topical CBD, I think it's a waste. I have not tried any topical CBD product that has had any positive effect. Our dogs love their CBD treats though!

I found CBD salve to help RA in hands -- THC salve even better!

THC is the answer and everyone can find it! Don't let ignorance and the Drug Companies keep you from this miracle herb!

My dog only gets CBD oil.

I, too, have used both Advil PM and Aleve PM. While they both work well at helping me sleep I find that they both give me night sweats. If this CBD oil doesn’t work for me I’ll go back to the Aleve PM.

I took my first dose last night two hours before my bedtime as directed by the pharmacist. I slept well but it took me a while to fall asleep.

CBD is pure snake oil. If it works for you that’s great. It appears to be

harmless. Just don’t forget that most placebos do work. This one just

has the added benefit of being related to pot. In reality they took pot,

removed the active ingredients, and they’re marketing the useless

byproduct.

From a business point of view....it’s brilliant. From a scientific/medical

point of view....it’s useless and unethical.

byproduct.

You need to do some research. Your statement is totally incorrect.

byproduct.

You’re wrong. It’s being touted as a cure to everything, which it most certainly IS NOT, but it does have medical value. I listened to a grand rounds presentation about it from a Yale psychiatrist, two things that stick out;

CBD: anxiolytic, anti-psychotic

THC: anxiogenic, psychotomimetic

Dose-dependent, but very interesting in the context of current cannabis trends of high THC / “knock your socks off” type of high with lower CBD levels.

(https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/people/deepak_dsouza.profile)

Thanks everybody for your thoughts on the subject. After 3 days of usage I’ve learned that increasing my dosage seems to be more effective in combating my insomnia. It takes a couple of hours to take effect for me and it’s a subtle difference but I do think it’s been effective for me. Jury is still out though on whether I’ll continue after I’ve gone through the remaining CBD oil I have.

It’s Benadryl (plus NSAID)

I was reading about AdvilPM and AlevePM as a 'sleep aid' and confused. Why not just pop a Benadryl or two? The NSAID isn't necessary to cause sleep, it's there to deal with inflammation. The pseudoephedrine is the sleep inducing compound.

Benadryl is also the med prescribed by my physician when I was a patient at UCLA Hospital years ago. Seems to be a sleep aid without nefarious side effects. Plus from my reading, I've not found any long term complications from using Benadryl.

The pseudoephedrine is the sleep inducing compound.

I don’t have a bottle in front of me...but I’m pretty sure that

diphenhydramine NOT pseudoephedrine is the sleep agent.

It’s important because diphenhydramine will make you

sleepy....pseudoephedrine will make you WIDE awake.

I agree that it is pointlesss to take the “PM” versions of NSAIDS

(unless that’s all you’ve got). You don’t need the NSAID. All you

need is the diphenhydramine (Benadryl) part.

It’s generally frowned upon as a sleep agent in the medical

community, but it works for me. Just make sure you have 6 to 8

hours to sleep and a reliable method to wake you in the morning.

Sometimes it’s hard for me to get up, but once I do, I personally

feel clear headed and rested. A little dry mouth, but nothing a

glass of water doesn’t fix. YMMV.

NBC 4 New York recently aired an I-Team investigation (link below). It seems there is a lot of products out there claiming to be CBD oil that have little or no CBD oil in them. Some contain ingredients that are actually harmful. Like vitamins and such it's an unregulated industry so buyer beware. If you are gonna buy CBD oil you might want to check this out

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/CBD-Products-Tested-505762921.html

Be open minded if you think it might help give it a try and can't be any worse than a Dr. (i.e. Legalized Drug Dealer) writing a prescription for an opioid pain killer or some other pharma that has 5,000 side effects per its TV ad.

I don’t have a bottle in front of me...but I’m pretty sure that

diphenhydramine NOT pseudoephedrine is the sleep agent.

It’s important because diphenhydramine will make you

sleepy....pseudoephedrine will make you WIDE awake.

I agree that it is pointlesss to take the “PM” versions of NSAIDS

(unless that’s all you’ve got). You don’t need the NSAID. All you

It’s generally frowned upon as a sleep agent in the medical

community, but it works for me. Just make sure you have 6 to 8

hours to sleep and a reliable method to wake you in the morning.

Sometimes it’s hard for me to get up, but once I do, I personally

feel clear headed and rested. A little dry mouth, but nothing a

glass of water doesn’t fix. YMMV.

I stand corrected. I didn’t have my bottle in front of me either.

All you

Diphenhydramine is all I ever take when I'm having trouble, both for helping me over the edge of falling asleep or staying asleep when something is keeping me awake. Usually 25 mg will do it, but you can take 50 if you're still having problems. Make sure you have at least 7-8 hours to get over it though. It will sometimes keep you tired for an hour or so after waking up if you don't.