The Sopranos

WilliamM
This topic is 1933 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I did see James Gandolfini several times early in morning in New York's West Village. Not friendly. Once he fell against me by accident while buying a paper.

James Gandolfini's son Michael will play young Tony Soprano in upcoming 'Sopranos' prequel

David Chase will keep the role of Tony Soprano all in the family in his upcoming Sopranos prequel film, The Many Saints of Newark, courtesy of Michael Gandolfini, son of late actor James Gandolfini, who will play a young version of the beloved fictional mobster.

http://www.philly.com/resizer/grmByjrQ8fb068QYaz-oByEdpF0=/1400x932/smart/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-pmn.s3.amazonaws.com/public/JQBR5XIJRZEQNCURYHHJUXHNRM.jpg

The 20th Anniversary of HBO's best rated show.

Favorite Characters: Tony, Livia, Jackie,Jr., Carmela, Paulie

Favorite episode: The College Tour

I did see James Gandolfini several times early in morning in New York's West Village. Not friendly. Once he fell against me by accident while buying a paper.

A lot of folks hated the Soprano's final episode. But to me it made sense, way better than Six Feet Under ending which really jumped the shark for such a good show.

I appreciate how The Sopranos included the character Vito Spatafore, and explored being gay and in the mob.

Edited by E.T.Bass

I am just the opposite of you in my take on the two endings. Six Feet Under made sense in detailing the manner in which each of the major characters dies and suggests that the Lauren Ambrose character was thinking back upon the many deaths she had seen in her very long lifetime. The final death is hers.

The Sopranos suggested that you never hear the bullet that has your name and in that regard, one may infer that Tony Soprano, the character through whom most of the story is told, has been killed. However, for a show that was notable for the unexpected death in an unexpected manner, a cut to black and silence to me seemed that they just could not come up with a way to end the show which would top the endings of other characters.

I am just the opposite of you in my take on the two endings.

I agree about the Six Feet Under final ending, both interesting and unusual.

I never watched SFU, but know it's considered one of the better series finales ever. I liked THE SOPRANOS, but was never as gung-ho about the series as others were, and I found the ending to be an anti-climactic yawn.

MTM & NEWHART had two of the best finales ever.

Went back and watched the final scene of the Sopranos today. Then I watched another video on the meaning of the last episode, what David Chase was telling us.

Watching the last scene, when Tony chose to play Journey Don't Sop Believing on the jukebox reminded me how much I enjoyed the music: the theme song, the different cuts that played during the credits each week, even Uncle Junior singing

I always assumed the final episode reminded us that Tony could die at any moment. The risk never ended. Apparently, according to David Chase, the real answer of the final is all there, what really happens, although we never see. David Chase hasn't admitted it though, what the last episode means, and what happens to Tony according to the analysis I watched today, as if it is left to us to figure it out based on what he laid out in the epi.

Reminds my of how Vince Gilligan wouldn't admit that Max and Fring were lovers in Breaking Bad. To me it's as if he won't confirm, because it's all there. And it was.

Edited by E.T.Bass

I never watched The Sopranos. I actively dislike shows that center the narrative of criminals like Tony Soprano and the guy from Breaking Bad.

The Sopranos was very clear that these people were not angels. In Breaking Bad, at least Vince Gilligan gave a plausible reason why Gus seemed so evil, and why Heisenberg took that path. None of them were ever portrayed as people we'd want to pattern our life after.

Some folks enjoy good crime stories, but yeah, not for everyone.

The Sopranos was very clear that these people were not angels. In Breaking Bad, at least Vince Gilligan gave a plausible reason why Gus seemed so evil, and why Heisenberg took that path. None of them were ever portrayed as people we'd want to pattern our life after.

Some folks enjoy good crime stories, but yeah, not for everyone.

I love crime stories, but not when they center the criminals. I don't care how much they show them as bad people. There are still going to be viewers who like and celebrate them as rebels and antiheroes.

I watched a couple of episodes of Dexter, but there the premise was "how soon will he be caught" and the disconnect between his job and his sociopathy. I loved Hannibal even though it was the most problematic of Bryan Fuller's shows, but it was mostly told through the point of view of people around Hannibal (primarily Will Graham) and wasn't interested in realism. As a quasi-fantasy and as a queer love story, it worked.

For several years my supervisor was the sister of a legendary Philadelphia mob boss, Angelo Bruno. She was far more sophisticated than Tony's older sister, Janice.

Yet she was a person who could not be completely trusted.

Angelo Bruno was murdered while sitting in his car, just about to turn the ignition on. Even though he was concerned a kindly boss, I never forgot that his sister, my supervisor, was married to one of Bruno's bosses I was very glad when she left.

Tony and Carmela may have been somewhat glorified on "The Sopranos,'

But they were terrible people.

William, I enjoy your posts but this one above gave me a chuckle related to the misplaced modifying phrase. As written, it seems that your supervisor was, for several years, the sister of a legendary mob boss. I know it was meant to read that the sister of a legendary mob boss was, for several years, your supervisor. Still since the mob boss is dead by the end of your post, I suppose she was, in a way, also his sister for a number of years.