Who Would You Have Dinner With?

Avalon
This topic is 1959 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It is hard because meeting your heroes can be a disappointment leading to a broken pedestal where they once resided. I would love to have met Phil Hartman though and discuss his career as an illustrator before he was on SNL. Now there is another scenario of dinner guests unaware of the poison I have slipped into their meals I can think of a few dictators and one wannabe dictator who will be left un-named. Just kidding I would never really do that...or would I Mwha ha ha. (evil laugh).

That's why my heroes are dead like the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.

Avalon ! It's not like the communists hocked them to buy guns. They went in the national museum.

Still something like the Crown Jewels are holy to the Polish people and should not be given to its then godless government.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Poland I would have waited until the Communist regime fell. Though at the time no one would know when that would happen.

And Hungary - I'd give them to the Hapsburg claimant to the Throne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_von_Habsburg

Interesting that Franco offered him the Throne of Spain.

The communist regime fell and was replaced by a democracy and guess what? The jewels are on display in a museum in Krakow. so all's well that ends well.

It is hard because meeting your heroes can be a disappointment leading to a broken pedestal where they once resided. I would love to have met Phil Hartman though and discuss his career as an illustrator before he was on SNL. Now there is another scenario of dinner guests unaware of the poison I have slipped into their meals I can think of a few dictators and one wannabe dictator who will be left un-named. Just kidding I would never really do that...or would I Mwha ha ha. (evil laugh).

When I was in college, Jonas Salk came to deliver a guest lecture Everybody was excited and really looking forward to hearing the great Jonas Salk. He turned out to be a total asshole who was completely impressed with himself. It was really a comedown.

George S. Kauffmann, Robert Benchley, Alexander Woollcott, and Harpo Marx,

with Dorothy Parker, Edna Ferber, and Moss Hart at a nearby table.

I doubt I'd learn anything interesting, but the snarky wit would be great fun.

That is a classic group. Hmm I just thought about Richard Harris and Peter O'Toole. Lot of great stories of debauchery there.

George S. Kauffmann, Robert Benchley, Alexander Woollcott, and Harpo Marx,

with Dorothy Parker, Edna Ferber, and Moss Hart at a nearby table.

I doubt I'd learn anything interesting, but the snarky wit would be great fun.

Moss Hart and Edna Ferber were often enemies. They met by accident back stage at the 1954 musical Peter Pan. After Ferber left, one of the children asked who she was. Hart replies, "Captain Hook."

In Poland I would have waited until the Communist regime fell. Though at the time no one would know when that would happen.

And Hungary - I'd give them to the Hapsburg claimant to the Throne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_von_Habsburg

Interesting that Franco offered him the Throne of Spain.

Franco's granddaughter married a cousin of Juan Carlos and had her mother and granny (Franco's wife) asked him to maker her husband King till the day he died...

Do you @Avalon edit Wikipedia?

Back to subject: Otto would be one of the persons I'd love to meet for dinner but I'd rather have Bismarck over.

It really helps though if one or more biographies are published. It presents a fuller understand of someone like the talented, but needy, Elaine Stritch.

Just one example.

Edited by WilliamM