Met: Adriana Lecouvreur

WilliamM
This topic is 1936 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am not familiar with the opera, but expect to like it very much.

But, I would prefer to see it before giving it an A+.

My bad. The opera itself is rather flimsy. There’s a reason it’s not in the standard repertory. Tommasini was being rapturous about the performances. And from what I heard he was spot on.

The opera itself is rather flimsy.

I disagree. I think it's just fine. I've never understood why so many people dismiss it so easily. It's tuneful (and often quite playfully so), the plot is no less credible than most opera plots lol, the arias/duets are musically and dramatically satisfying, and it even requires that the title character have a moment of deliciously over-the-top recitation (we can gripe about soprano X or Y overdoing Violetta's reading of the letter, or Tosca's traditionally spoken lines, etc, but Adriana HAS to go there with the Phadre scene, and it's great fun.)

There are other operas like this - La Rondine is one example - operas that tend to get stuck in the fringes of the repertoire, but that I think deserve much better reputations than they seem to have.

I disagree. I think it's just fine. I've never understood why so many people dismiss it so easily. It's tuneful (and often quite playfully so), the plot is no less credible than most opera plots lol, the arias/duets are musically and dramatically satisfying, and it even requires that the title character have a moment of deliciously over-the-top recitation (we can gripe about soprano X or Y overdoing Violetta's reading of the letter, or Tosca's traditionally spoken lines, etc, but Adriana HAS to go there with the Phadre scene, and it's great fun.)

There are other operas like this - La Rondine is one example - operas that tend to get stuck in the fringes of the repertoire, but that I think deserve much better reputations than they seem to have.

And that is what causes horse races.

• 2 weeks later...

My step-sister and I were in Greater Chicago for a family death (her sister). She had had to forfeit tickets to see Adriana Lecouvreur: The Met in HD or whatever they call it in San Francisco.

She went online and found three theaters that were presenting it. Despite the snow (!) and the cold (!!), we went. Theater sat about 250. Fewer than 20 were there. HUGE screen, WONDERFUL acoustics, and INCREDIBLE singing! But what an odd opera, and who IS Duclos?