Frozen Grapes

Avalon
This topic is 2028 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I discovered these new type of ice cube trays (for me) made of silicone. They come in a few colors and two ice cube sizes. The thing I like about them is that you get the ice cube out by pushing from the bottom of the tray. That way the ice cube comes out unbroken (unlike the usual twist tray where some inevitable break). They have tops so the water does not spill when you transfer to your freezer and are square and smaller than a regular ice cube tray. I think they take up less space. Ah, it's the little things.

main_variation_Default_view_1_425x425. main_variation_Default_view_5_425x425.

I was surprised to discover that ice cubes evaporate in the freezer. I rarely use ice cubes. I have a plastic ice tray in the freezer. I remember going to it and finding the cubes had shrunk.

The frost-free feature that was added to freezers many years ago causes ice to shrink. Poor seals (and just opening the door) allow moisture to leak in to the freezer and freeze. Modern freezers run a periodic cycle to thaw the frost and collect it -- it's a sort of dehumidification process. Ice cubes will lose a thin layer every time this cycle runs.