Sabrina on Netflix

KeepItReal
This topic is 1965 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Anyone see Sabrina on Netflix? I thought it was a reboot of "Sabrina the teenage witch" and it kinda is, but it is much, MUCH darker. Not the funny, sitcom like story from the 1990s to be sure. Her cousin Ambrose is pansexual.

Now, somebody pass me the leftover halloween candy.... :p

I enjoyed it. Don’t know how they’ll recover from season one finale’s actions to make season two.

I only got to see one episode and it was the season finale, but I thought it was just "ok". I am looking forward to the crossover with Riverdale though.

The season finale would probably be more meaningful if you had seen most/all of the episodes leading up to it.

The season finale would probably be more meaningful if you had seen most/all of the episodes leading up to it.

Agree. I am sure my being somewhat lost contributed to my experience. It wasn't by choice, the service I used mislabeled it and no other streams were available. I was already well into it before I realized there was no way this could be the first episode. I most definitely recommend watching shows in sequence!

Note: Hard to see Ross Lynch as anything other than Austin Moon (Austin & Ally).

• 2 weeks later...

The series is headed by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who took the characters in a much darker turn with the Zombie-based "Afterlife with Archie". He's also behind the more mature "Riverdale".

The final episode is better if you've watched the run-up to it.

There is a scene in one of the last few episodes that I rewatched. One of the Sabrina's best friends is a trans (boy to girl). She is trying to shoplift a copy of "Orlando" from the local bookstore. She get accosted by a couple of high school bullies. Sabrina's aunt Hilda (the more Mrs. Weasley of the aunts), who is working at the store intervenes and tells one of the bullies he is that way because of how he was treated by a number of boys in a summer camp as a child. Not said, but a rape is strongly implied. She then points out that the other bully is madly in lust with the first one. Both leave uncomfortably. I really like that scene.

EDIT: Here is that clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfF9Ar8kecs

Edited by BluDay

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think susie is being portrayed as boy to girl, I think she's at this stage a bio-girl who presents somewhat masculinely and hasn't decided yet what she is. Note her friends get offended when others refer to her as "he" and she says it's okay. And she is communicating with a female ancestor who dressed as a man.

• 2 weeks later...

@sniper I can't fully argue with you, as I watched but wasn't always paying full attention. I believe the scenes concerning Uncle Jesse, and that the female ancestor who dressed as a man add to my boy-to-girl thought. According to http://riverdale.wikia.com/wiki/Susie_Putnam , the original plan was for her to be a man-to-woman. I also think the comment in the first video I posted that under her shirt wouldn't be boobs gave me part of the idea.

So that's what I'm basing my thoughts on. I won't claim I'm right, it's not that I've been attracted to that storyline, I like the Harvey story better (I think he's cute).