Massage Music

RubMyThighs
This topic is 2019 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I hate New Age/Enya music that’s traditionally played during a massage. It actually makes me anxious - one of many reasons I prefer to have a massage outside of a spa setting. However, many independent masseurs play this sort of muzak. I often find myself requesting alternative tunes, which can get a little awkward.

Curious for other people’s thoughts on this. Admittedly it’s not the number one attribute we tend to seek out. But for a truly great massage experience I love to hear good, real music. Sometimes the tunes are meant to drown out apartment building noise or even muffle client moans but I wish masseurs would put half as much care into this as they do their online photos.

When I went to see Rainer in LA, he played the Phantom Thread soundtrack, which was perfect for his rather dramatic massage style.

In contrast, I couldn’t stand Clark’s Bernard Hermann score selections.

When I saw Gaspar, he played new agey tunes on an iPad. He kindly let me select other music (I chose John Legend) but the sound quality on his device was so tinny that I would have preferred silence.

The worst is when a masseur is playing SiriusXM but doesn’t pay for a subscription so I have to listen to commercials. Just spring for the 10 bucks a month or do it in silence. #PrivilegedProblems

I like the new age / Asian sound. Music with lyrics or instrumentals that I know the lyrics of take me out of it. I like to drift off.

I absolutely agree about the phone/iPad speaker sound quality. A decent quality Bluetooth speaker can be bought for $25.00 or less. Especially for those traveling guys. Also I hate commercials. 10 bucks for a streaming service can be written off at tax time. Or spend $.99 for a sounds of nature track.

OMG! I had a masseur play like some

Indie music from his YouTube playlist.

The music was actually kind of cool, but unsure if it was appropriate for massage. I was ultimately fine with it. The only kicker is that he kept quietly singing the lyrics u see his breath. And I was focusing on that. And also caught him looking at the YouTube videos while massaging me. Then end was amazing so ultimately I didn’t gripe- but this totall reminded me of that experience.

I’ve always wondered about the music. The worst is when you have massage style instrumental music that’s a copy of actual current music- just without words. I spend most my time on the table thinking “wait. What fucking song is this??? I know it. What is it though?? Ugh. I have to figure this out. Hmmm, hmmm, hummm, him, Laaaa laaa hmmm hmmm. Ugh. Can’t figure it out.”

Drove me nuts but was spa music so couldn’t do much. Lol

I once went to a masseur in NYC who played a CD, "Music For Massage." As I recall, it was classical music; some Mozart, I think. The computer sleuths on this site can probably find it. His massage didn't really need enhancing, but that music was welcome. (I frequently don't like the music that masseurs bring with them, and I'm fine with silence.)

I am fine with almost anything relaxing. Just nothing that sounds like it could be a soundtrack to a horror movie. I know it was over done for a while but I use to like Enigma. I know I know don't hate me for that. LOL. Any thing beats the masseur who watched TV while giving me a massage full sound commercials and all.

Thanks for all these ideas, Gentlemen. When I hang out my shingle as a massage therapist, I am now planning to add a karaoke option. I think singing show tunes together would be sorta relaxing, don't you? A new kind of HE. And at least it won't be that tedious New Age nonsense or be interrupted by commercials.

Thanks for all these ideas, Gentlemen. When I hang out my shingle as a massage therapist, I am now planning to add a karaoke option. I think singing show tunes together would be sorta relaxing, don't you? A new kind of HE. And at least it won't be that tedious New Age nonsense or be interrupted by commercials.

Ha! That's great Phil!

I had a massage in Atlanta a few years ago. Just after I flipped over, the guy started singing along with Barry Manilow, which was playing in the background. While he had a decent voice and killer body, it was a total buzz kill.

I am fine with almost anything relaxing. Just nothing that sounds like it could be a soundtrack to a horror movie. I know it was over done for a while but I use to like Enigma. I know I know don't hate me for that. LOL. Any thing beats the masseur who watched TV while giving me a massage full sound commercials and all.

ENIGMA? For massage? You’re joking. We used to use it for step aerobics classes. And I liked it enough to buy a CD and I’m a strick classics guy. My choice for massage music is the Bach solo cello suites played quietly. And there damn well better not be a commercial. I’m meditating!

I usually have Sirius XM Spa channel playing (no commercials I have a lifetime subscription)

One regular hates it so I just have a bluetooth speaker ready for him and he plays his Spotify. It works out well since he usually receives work calls so it stops the music automatically and I can just keep io massaging.

ENIGMA? For massage? You’re joking. We used to use it for step aerobics classes. And I liked it enough to buy a CD and I’m a strick classics guy. My choice for massage music is the Bach solo cello suites played quietly. And there damn well better not be a commercial. I’m meditating!

Must be a later album the one used during massage had chanting monks and a sexy voice speaking in french. Can't imagine anything cardio being done to it other than slow pelvic grinding.

Guest InthePines
Ha! That's great Phil!

I had a massage in Atlanta a few years ago. Just after I flipped over, the guy started singing along with Barry Manilow, which was playing in the background. While he had a decent voice and killer body, it was a total buzz kill.

Daybreak! If you wanna believe, it can be daybreak...I'd of blown my brain out just to make a mess that he'd would of had to clean!

What is wrong with a quite massage for I'm come to the conclusion that ALL music is just noisy distraction.

Daybreak! If you wanna believe, it can be daybreak...I'd of blown my brain out just to make a mess that he'd would of had to clean!

What is wrong with a quite massage for I'm come to the conclusion that ALL music is just noisy distraction.

I tend to agree with you about the ideal of a silent massage but that's nearly impossible. My only slightly more likely ideal is of the quiet Bach cellos suites which would coordinate my heart rate with that of the therapist to make the experience more shared. Even more ideal would be if we are both naked to that in touching the masseur the exchange of energy would be complete. Nirvana could precede the HE or hanky-panky.

If

I'm particularly fond of the opening movement of the Mozart Requiem. Perhaps an endless loop of this would be just the thing. I can even imagine a HE to this.

you’re a vocalist who knows Latin and has performed it this doesn’t really work. For the HE I’d rather prefer the Confutatis movement. Lol