No socks

foxy
This topic is 2040 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

First I have to admit I’m not fashionable clothes-wise. And no doubt I fall into the cranky old men category. But there are fashion trends I truly don’t understand. If someone, male or female, is young and good looking, they can pretty much get away with anything and still look good.

For years I’ve hated the backwards baseball cap look. Especially when that cap has the adjustable thing in front. If you’re not a baseball player I just don’t get it.

Next is jeans with the knees ripped out. Lately I’ve seen this where almost the entire front of the jeans are gone. What seems particularly silly is that people buy them that way.

Both of these trends have been going on so long I’m almost used to them. Why they haven’t died long ago is beyond me.

So now this no socks thing has also been going on for a while. It’s when I see a guy in a business suit that I really question the look. In shorts or jeans I sort of get it. In the summer. But I’ve been to evening performances at Lincoln Center where people come at least a little dressed up.

I like seeing exposed male skin. But I can’t really say I’m turned on by bare ankles.

Maybe I’m missing something.

Foxy, I can't join you on the backwards baseball cap, but I'm right there with you on ripped jeans and no socks. No socks looks good, to me, with deck shoes but not a suit. When in London about 2-3 months ago, every where I looked were men in suits with pants that stopped at least 2-3 inches above their ankles and wearing no socks. It was a weird look. Headed to NYC next weekend and suspect I'll see that there too. But, in fairness, we might be just cranky old men!

Foxy, I can't join you on the backwards baseball cap, but I'm right there with you on ripped jeans and no socks. No socks looks good, to me, with deck shoes but not a suit. When in London about 2-3 months ago, every where I looked were men in suits with pants that stopped at least 2-3 inches above their ankles and wearing no socks. It was a weird look. Headed to NYC next weekend and suspect I'll see that there too. But, in fairness, we might be just cranky old men!

I'm with you Muscle Lover 2 (which muscle?) Some guys like wearing caps especially if they are bald and I can see the backwards version if you're not trying to shield the sun from your eyes and want to show face. The no socks look (some may be wearing the no show socks that just cover the bottom of your foot) are a bit much especially when dressed up. Another trending look now is the short pants (above the shoes) with matching your outfit socks. That looks good on the millenials but not really for older gents like us. I hate either too short or too long pants. They have to be just right for my liking. And that's the latest fashion update for the day. You guys rock!

I'm with you Muscle Lover 2 (which muscle?) Some guys like wearing caps especially if they are bald and I can see the backwards version if you're not trying to shield the sun from your eyes and want to show face. The no socks look (some may be wearing the no show socks that just cover the bottom of your foot) are a bit much especially when dressed up. Another trending look now is the short pants (above the shoes) with matching your outfit socks. That looks good on the millenials but not really for older gents like us. I hate either too short or too long pants. They have to be just right for my liking. And that's the latest fashion update for the day. You guys rock!

Sorry the no caps look indoors is really disrespectful, take the hat off.

Years ago one Friday night I went to the cinema to see a new Star Trek movie. The place was packed. All males. Almost all wore a baseball cap. Who were these people? It was Friday night so Orthodox Jews would not be out. They weren't turbans so they couldn't be Sikhs. So else would have their heads covered?

I remember seeing some old b&w show. One guy forgot to remove his hat indoors. Another asked him whether he had a cold. He took the hint and removed his hat.

I lived a mile from work. I often walked. And I wore a sun hat. If I passed a woman I'd tip it.

Years ago one Friday night I went to the cinema to see a new Star Trek movie. The place was packed. All males. Almost all wore a baseball cap. Who were these people? It was Friday night so Orthodox Jews would not be out. They weren't turbans so they couldn't be Sikhs. So else would have their heads covered?

I remember seeing some old b&w show. One guy forgot to remove his hat indoors. Another asked him whether he had a cold. He took the hint and removed his hat.

I lived a mile from work. I often walked. And I wore a sun hat. If I passed a woman I'd tip it.

Interesting that audience was all male, given that Desilu approved the TV show and also produced it.

Interesting that audience was all male, given that Desilu approved the TV show and also produced it.

Females don't seem to like Star Trek. I once asked a female friend if she want to go with me to a ST movie and she said no.

On the other hand a different female friend invited me to go see a new "Friday the 13th" movie with her. I did.

With nice leather sneakers or loafers, the no sock look is fine, although I mostly wear no-show socks as @Chad Constantine has depicted. It was a preppy look I wore when I was younger, with Topsiders and Bass Weejuns. I wear neither anymore since they became so popular.

Paul Fussell famously described the baseball cap as the “prole” cap in his book “Class”. I wear a higher-quality one to the gym or to the beach, but that’s about it.

I also wear some artfully ripped jeans occasionally. I have a pair of selvedge jeans with small rips.

I don’t dress my age since I have a well-toned body and like to show it off. I’ve always been a clothes horse.

Sorry the no caps look indoors is really disrespectful, take the hat off.

I’d be interested to know in what part of the country you live. I’m on the west coast and I believe that the requirement that one remove one’s hat indoors died out long ago. Perhaps some older folks may not like that result, but life moves on.