Your grandmother's cookie recipe

samhexum
This topic is 1182 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Grandmothers are known for baking cookies. But ashes of grandmothers baked into cookies is a weird and disturbing twist.

California police are investigating a claim that a high school student used the cremated remains of a grandparent in a cookie recipe and served the cookies to unsuspecting students.

The sugar cookies the student brought to DaVinci High School in Davis were given to at least nine students, police told KOVR. The incident allegedly occurred on Oct. 4.

“This is a weird one,” Davis police Lt. Paul Doroshov told KOVR. “I have not heard of anyone getting sick or anybody being harmed as far as physically, physiologically by this.”

Police are trying to confirm that the incident actually took place. Authorities said no actual evidence has been found to support the claims of students who filed the reports, KXTV reported.

“This is so unconventional, it would take more research,” Doroshov told KOVR.

In a statement, the Davis Joint Union School District said the investigation is ongoing.

“This case has been particularly challenging and we have responded appropriately and in the most respectful and dignified way possible,” the statement read.

• 2 years later...

California police are investigating a claim that a high school student used the cremated remains of a grandparent in a cookie recipe and served the cookies to unsuspecting students.

What is it with crazy Californians (or is that redundant?) and cookies?

Man pays for bizarre ‘Cookie Monster’ mural on building — that he doesn’t own

An Illinois artist was left baffled after a man paid him to paint a mural of “Sesame Street’s” Cookie Monster on the side of a building — that he didn’t actually own.

Joshua Hawkins said he recently got an angry phone call from the actual owner of the Peoria building, “asking why the hell I painted this ‘crazy sh-t’ on his building.”

“Evidently the guy that hired me to paint the mural was NOT really the owner of the building!,” Hawkins wrote on Facebook.

The artist said a man he knew only as “Nate” called him the day after Thanksgiving and asked him to paint a mural of the beloved puppet with a caption in Russian that roughly translates to “World, Peace, Cookies” on the side of his vacant building.

Though he was hesitant to take the job because of the tight deadline, Hawkins said it was “one of the best paying commissions” he ever got — so he recruited some pals to help him finish the artwork in time.

Hawkins was given half of the “good amount” of money up front in cash, and “Nate” paid him the rest upon completion two days later, he told the Peoria Journal Star.

That was the last time Hawkins ever saw the mystery arts patron.

Meanwhile, the real owner of the building, Nate Comte, was fuming when he got back from Thanksgiving vacation and spotted the massive mural on his property.

“He threatened to call the police on me,” Hawkins said. “After that, it started to click.”

Hawkins explained the backstory — but Comte didn’t believe him, telling the Journal Star that: “I don’t think anyone is that stupid.”

While he believes the work to be graffiti, Comte said he won’t press vandalism charges.

“I don’t hate art,” he said. “But don’t know what the hell that was.”

He’s since painted over the mural.

Looking back, the artist said he probably should have gotten more information from the person who commissioned the work.

“It was definitely a weird situation from the beginning, and we should have asked more questions,” Hawkins said.

His phone calls and text messages to the enigmatic “Nate” have gone unanswered.

“I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. THIS IS INSANE,” Hawkins wrote on Facebook.

“I do apologize to the owner of the building, and while this is stressful and confusing– the fact remains that we were paid by someone!?”

cookie-monster-mural.jpg

We had a friend who brought tomatoes to us last year. They looked so nice that we used them in the salad. While we were eating our friend announced that she had fertilized the tomatoes with the cremated remains of her recently deceased partner.

That was quite the luncheon buzzkill

• 4 weeks later...

Florida python hunter bakes Christmas cookies using snake eggs

An enterprising Florida snake catcher has devised a festive way to combat the Everglades’ ever-growing Burmese python scourge — by using the reptile’s eggs to make ssssscrumptious Christmas cookies, among other dishes.

“Heading out to hunt tomorrow with some fresh rocky road & chocolate almond python egg cookies,” wrote Donna Kalil alongside a recent Instagram pic of the unorthodox baking ingredients. Since joining South Florida’s python eradication program in 2017, the Everglades crusader has bagged 470 of these Southeast Asian invaders, and often employs their body parts in various dishes, the Miami Herald reported.

“It’s a great source of protein,” Kalil explained.

Among the most prized are the python’s leathery eggs, which the unconventional chef boils, makes into frittatas and, of course, freezes for baking cookies, like a herpetological Peter D. Hooper from the Dr. Seuss books. One of her more recent holiday-friendly creations was gluten-free rocky road and sugar hiss-mas cookies in the shape of little snakes.

Prefer your snake without sweeteners? Not to worry: this serpent-slurping epicure uses the python meat — known locally as “chicken of the glades” — to whip up everything from pasta sauce to jerky. Kalil likes munching on the latter for a much-needed pick-me-up during her often 10-hour snake hunts.

“It’s really good when you cook it right,” she said, adding that it “takes practice” to avoid overcooking it.

Unfortunately, the Burmese python’s status as an apex predator in the mercury-rich Everglades means it accumulates massive amounts of the metal in its body. And the bigger the snake, the more mercury it likely contains — which is problematic for a predator that can grow up to 23 feet long.

To safeguard against possible contamination, Kalil refrains from consuming python on a daily basis and only eats snakes measuring around 6 feet or less. She even has a testing kit to gauge mercury levels in the meat.

Kalil may not be the only one chowing on constrictor in the future. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is currently measuring mercury amounts in Burmese python populations to determine whether they are safe for public consumption.

“If we can determine that they are safe to eat, that would be very helpful to control their population,” said program director Mike Kirkland of the culinary contraception proposal.

Currently, Florida residents are only encouraged to kill the scaly invaders, which have overwrithed South Florida since the first specimen was released into the Everglades in the 1980s.

“This [eating them] would be a wonderful way to get more people involved with helping us remove pythons from the environment,” said Kalil.