Your ass is too fat for that jackass

samhexum
This topic is 2061 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Greek government has banned fat tourists from riding on donkeys.

The law was made after animal rights campaigners revealed the donkeys were suffering from spinal injuries and open wounds.

After images of donkeys climbing the narrow steps of the Greek island of Santorini laden down by obese holidaymakers hit the headlines worldwide, lawmakers in Greece pledged to do more to help the animals.

The country’s Ministry of Rural Development and Food has published a new set of regulations regarding donkeys’ well-being after receiving multiple complaints following media coverage in July.

These state donkeys giving tourists rides in Santorini should not carry any loads heavier than 220 pounds (100 kg), or one fifth of their weight.

The move comes after animal activists on the island claimed with obesity on the rise, donkeys were being forced to carry ever-heavier loads.

The animals also work long hours, seven days a week without shelter, rest and water – leaving them with injuries ill-fitting saddles.

A government statement read: “The owners of working equidae should ensure that the animals’ level of health is high.

“Under no circumstances should be used animals unfit for work i.e., ill animal, injured, animals in an advanced pregnancy as well as animals with poor maintenance of hooves.

“The animals should be given appropriate and adequate food and fresh drinking water daily, into containers which cannot be contaminated and are cleaned at least once a day.

“Working equines should not be loaded with excessive weight for their size, age or physical condition. The load cannot exceed the weight of 100kg, or one fifth of their body weight.”

Santorini is known for its hilly terrain and donkeys have traditionally been used to transport people over the famously stepped areas which vehicles cannot access, like in the capital of Fira.

But in June, charities there claimed the explosion of fat tourists meant locals who are keen to get the most out of their animals were being forced to crossbreed the animals to create mules, which are bigger and taller and can carry heavier loads with more stamina.

Elisavet Chatzi, 45, a volunteer from Athens who participated in a peaceful protest in Santorini over donkeys’ treatment there earlier this year, said: “It’s a very big step, I think all our hard work has paid off.

“The situation in Santorini has been going on for many years and it cannot be resolved in one day.

“We have won our fight because of the international media attention on the topic. No one could ever believe that new regulations would be set.

“The next day after the bulletin was released, I was told a tourist had been carried up the hill by three different donkeys, so as not to exhaust them.”

But other campaigners allege that despite the reminder, nothing has changed on the island and there is still a long way to go.

Maria Skourta, 42, the leader of the Athens branch of Direct Action Everywhere, claims: “We were content with the bulletin because the purpose of our organization is to bring matters to light and initiate conversation.

“But our goal is not to improve the lives of slaves, is to free them entirely.

“[While this means they will stop carrying fat tourists], the donkeys are still forced to carry cement, appliances, and all sorts of heavyweights.”

“Working equines should not be loaded with excessive weight for their size, age or physical condition. The load cannot exceed the weight of 100kg, or one fifth of their body weight.”

I'm guessing the donkeys were more often forced to carry multiple tourists whose total weight was 300+ pounds rather than one tourist over 220.

I emailed a company that does Grand Canyon mule tours and got the following reply

Rider must be at least 9 years old

Riders must be in good physical condition

Riders must weigh less than 200 pounds (90 kg), fully dressed

Riders must be at least 4 feet, 9 inches tall (1.44 meters)

Each rider must be able to speak and understand fluent English

Riders should not be afraid of heights or large animals

Riders age 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult 18 or older

Long sleeve shirts, long pants, broad brim hats and close-toed shoes are required

Ski caps and gloves are recommended for winter riders

Rider’s height must be proportionate to his or her weight

locals who are keen to get the most out of their animals were being forced to crossbreed the animals to create mules,

I always heard that jacks (male donkeys) were happy enough to help out. Granted in the case of large breed mares, a ramp might be needed to get the jack in position.

Maria Skourta, 42, the leader of the Athens branch of Direct Action Everywhere, claims: “We were content with the bulletin because the purpose of our organization is to bring matters to light and initiate conversation.

“But our goal is not to improve the lives of slaves, it is to free them entirely.

Seems that "Direct Action Everywhere" is Greek for PETA.

30 plus years ago I was on a 3 day Greek cruise. It stopped for one day in

Santorini. We were almost forced to get on one of the donkeys to ride up to the town of Fira. There was great chaos as the men who owned the donkeys followed behind practically whipping the poor animals to make the climb up the steps covered with dung. It was one of the most awful travel experiences I’ve ever had. I kept yelling at the guy to stop hitting the donkey. He ignored me. It was a great relief to get to the top and get off. Later in the day I was wandering in town and lost track of time. I heard my ships horn and realized I had to run down the steps to catch the last tender back to the ship. Kind of terrifying as I mostly slid down the filthy stairs.

Several years later I returned to Santorini taking a flight from Mykonos. I was staying at a hotel in town that overlooked the harbor now crowded with cruise ships. The donkeys were still working but a funicular had been installed to carry tourists up to town. Santorini is a gorgeous and very touristy place that can no longer handle the amount of people arriving by ship. I’m glad I saw it when I did. I’d never go back.

This reveler must feel awful after being filmed slumped on the back of a donkey wearing just a sailor’s hat and skimpy trunks. why would a donkey be wearing that outfit?

The half-naked man — who appears to have passed out — was spotted being paraded up and down a busy seafront promenade in front of bemused tourists.

He is hotly pursued by two tourist cops who are seen giggling as they try to ensure he doesn’t fall off his ride, in the Russian resort of Sochi.

One female guard, who struggles to keep up with the donkey and its portly passenger, is then seen turning away and promptly bursting into a fit of laughter.

The bizarre viral video has already attracted more than one million views on Facebook and has been shared tens of thousands of times on social media.

After seeing the hilarious clip, one clearly amused Facebook user wrote: “Omg that was me in Benidorm…lol.”

Another user added: “There is wasted and then there is this fella. A different dimension.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_7qED08Wi8