Advice about smartphones

Charlie
This topic is 2033 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think it is time for me to (very reluctantly) get my first smart phone. I have little competence with electronics of any kind. I currently have an LG flip phone, which apparently is capable of accessing the Internet, but it is too complicated for me. I have a 5 year old iPad which I take with me when I travel on vacation, so I can access my email and some travel information, and read my regular newspapers online, but I don't use it for much else. I carry my flip phone with me whenever I leave the house, but almost never use it, and when I do, it is only for making and receiving phone calls. I don't know how to text. I have an AT&T account because the carrier I had in the 1990s was taken over by them, and my very cheap monthly account was grandfathered in; however, the fee has been rising, and I now pay $40/mo for a device that I rarely need. Therefore, I have been looking at cheaper ConsumerCellular plans.

If I am going to change carriers anyway, it may be time to consider a smart phone. One of my reasons is that I suspect that in the not too distant future I may need an Uber or Lyft app to get around. ConsumerCellular also sells a variety of models, especially older models at very reasonable prices. I have looked at their selection, and I think the iPhone SE might be a good fit for my needs, because it is small enough to carry in a pocket. I don't need lots of bells and whistles--I don't take photos or stream videos, etc.--but I assume that it is similar enough to an iPad that I will be able to learn how to use it for the basics.

Any cautions, recommendations, or whatever?

I concur with the idea of an iPhone, not just because you are already familiar with how to interact with the interface. An SE model would be fine to start out with. Then if you find that you use it more often than your iPad, you could consider getting a model with a larger screen at some point in the future.

However, I would suggest you consider an alternate service model. My understanding is ConsumerCellular is 'contract free', which means they still expect you to pay a monthly fee. No contract just means you can stop service anytime without a penalty.

If you expect your usage to be minimal, you might consider metered usage, which just means you prepay for minutes, texts, and data and then use them up as whatever rate you actually need. Tracfone does a version of this and I'm sure there are others.

Oh, and Apple has discontinued the SE. (Nothing wrong with it, they're just making room for pricier models.) Some individual Apple stores may still have some stock, and apparently your carrier does, but time may be of the essence if you chose to go the SE route, or you may need to buy a used one through Gazelle or the like.

Kevin Slater

I'm not sure what our budget is. Being retired and not traveling, I dropped carrier that I was paying $60 per month for access to voice, text and data.

I opted for a Tracfone. For $125 per year, its a great deal. https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

Tracfone buys time from the major carriers like Verizon, AT&T, etc.

You will need to buy one of their phones as it is proprietary.

I purchased a Samsung Android from them for $100 bucks.

I'm a very satisfied customer. And save big bucks.

My 2 cents for what it is worth.

When I got my iPad it was a snap because it was like a big iPhone. You will instantlly see that your iPhone will be like a mini iPad. Plus from my point of view the smaller the phone the better as I like popping it in my pocket. I can’t imagine carrying around anything Larger. Plus, not only will the transition be simple, the two divices will communicate with each other and you will have all your contacts and other info in your phone on your iPad which is good for looking up numbers and other information when your phone is not by your side.

But do explore all your options as all the above advice is good. Incidentally I checked the apple website a few days ago and the SE was still listed. I just double checked and it is still there. However, this is the time if the year that old models are phased out so what @Kevin Slater notes is most likely true. It might also possibly lead to a bargain price...

Oh, and Apple has discontinued the SE. (Nothing wrong with it, they're just making room for pricier models.) Some individual Apple stores may still have some stock, and apparently your carrier does, but time may be of the essence if you chose to go the SE route, or you may need to buy a used one through Gazelle or the like.

Kevin Slater

Not recomending this for @Charlie, I should point out that Apple sells refurbished hardware at

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

The stock listed there changes daily, so it can require a bit a patience.

I'm not sure what our budget is. Being retired and not traveling, I dropped carrier that I was paying $60 per month for access to voice, text and data.

I opted for a Tracfone. For $125 per year, its a great deal. https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

+1 for Tracfone and the good news is Tracfone no longer requires you buy a proprietary phone, I think that stopped several years ago. They now have a Bring Your Own Device program, it works well, including with iPhones.

https://www.tracfone.com/keep-your-own-phone

Requires a compatible or unlocked smartphone. Most GSM and CDMA smartphones are compatible.

Samsung Android phones can cost less upfront, but that's mostly because Samsung and Google business models include exploiting every tidbit of personal info that passes through the device. Perhaps this is why security on these platforms has always been an afterthought and doesn't work consistently.

Apple iOS and iPhones have had security vulnerabilities, but they usually get fixed pretty quick these days. The CEO of Apple says they consider personal privacy a human right. The then CEO of Google said "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place." :rolleyes:

My advice is to not consider Android devices unless you are fine with everything that passes through the device being published for everyone to see.

My burner phone is a Tracfone. I got it for $79.00 on sale. It's my 2nd one. Decided to replace the original burner phone because I didn't find it user friendly when texting. Only pay $99.00 a year to keep service. Because I bought it at a store (to pay cash), it's not the newest model, but that's OK. So far, it works for me.

I'm thinking about getting another for my personal phone, but if I do, I'll get something newer.

@Charlie, first, I must say “you’re my hero!” Keeping technology at bay all these years is a monumental feat

My only advice is to ponder the size of the keys on the model you choose. If you have any issues with eye/hand coordination or have what’s affectionately called “fat fingers,” the size of the phone’s screen may matter more than being able to fit it in a pocket.

I don't have trouble with eye/hand coordination--I am a tennis player--and my fingers are fairly skinny. However, I have never learned how to manipulate buttons with my thumbs (I have arthritis in both thumbs), which is apparently the key to using a smart phone. I use a cell phone the same way I type on any keyboard: I am a hunt-and-peck typist, so I do almost everything with my index finger.

You would find an iPhone would be very similar in operation to the iPad you already own.

I would suggest a used/refurbished one that is a 6S or newer with 32Gb or more and Unlocked. The SE is essentially a 6S with a smaller screen so it would be fine performance wise and will operate the newest iOS12. With Siri, and a late version iOS on the iPhone (and maybe even your older iPad), you can use “talk to text” to “write” your text messages. A visit to an Apple Genius bar, YouTube or your local nephew/niece could show you how to do it. Or, turn on “predictive typing” and that might help with composing texts. But be careful and proof before hitting send because it can change things against what you thought you just typed.

You would find an iPhone would be very similar in operation to the iPad you already own.

I would suggest a used/refurbished one that is a 6S or newer with 32Gb or more and Unlocked. The SE is essentially a 6S with a smaller screen so it would be fine performance wise and will operate the newest iOS12. With Siri, and a late version iOS on the iPhone (and maybe even your older iPad), you can use “talk to text” to “write” your text messages. A visit to an Apple Genius bar, YouTube or your local nephew/niece could show you how to do it. Or, turn on “predictive typing” and that might help with composing texts. But be careful and proof before hitting send because it can change things against what you thought you just typed.

I actually prefer the smaller size of the SE - much better fit in my pocket when comparing to other full size smart phones that can be bulky and heavy. I am sure others may have a different preference, but for me that is a key consideration. ;)

Oh, this brings up a good point: since the topic of older refurbished phones has come up, don't buy a phone with only 16 gig of memory. The operating system would consume virtually all of that, leaving no room for anything else. Get at least 32. Since you say you won't be using the phone for much, that should cover it. Obviously, the more memory, the more room for videos, music, apps, etc., should you ever venture into that stuff.

Kevin Slater

Oh, this brings up a good point: since the topic of older refurbished phones has come up, don't buy a phone with only 16 gig of memory. The operating system would consume virtually all of that, leaving no room for anything else. Get at least 32. Since you say you won't be using the phone for much, that should cover it. Obviously, the more memory, the more room for videos, music, apps, etc., should you ever venture into that stuff.

Kevin Slater

+1

Kevin Slater

Yep. Always get the most memory you can.

In addition to storing those videos you never thought you’d have, it buys more time before you need the inevitable upgrade JUST for more memory.

• 2 weeks later...

I did it! Apple stores no longer sell the SE, but ConsumerCellular has a supply of new ones that they will sell for $160 if you sign up for service. It arrived yesterday in its neat little box, but when I opened up all the packaging, there was absolutely no written material to tell me how to operate the damn thing. After fiddling with it for 45 minutes without even discovering how to turn it on and off, I gave up and called Apple Help, where a bemused gentleman with a heavy accent explained the controls and guided me through the basic set-up. At least I can now use it as a phone, but it will take me awhile to learn how to do anything else. Time to buy a copy of iPhone for Dummies.

It does have 32Gb, but the keyboard is so tiny that even with care my index finger seems to hit the wrong buttons and have to keep correcting my mistakes.

Oh, Kevin! I owe you a blowjob for that info! It works.

Keep coming back with questions. This is why I voted for the iPhone-- practically anyone can tell you how to use it.

I say you ought to set up "find my iPhone" if you haven't already. It can play a loud beep if you misplace it or locate it on a map (and even lock it) if you lose it.

Also, rather than buying a book, I say google iPhone basics and you'll get a ton of helpful videos.

Kevin Slater

Time to buy a copy of iPhone for Dummies.

Congratulations!!! Don’t buy books. They’re outdated and obsolete before you even buy them in too many cases. As Kevin said search for tutorial videos on Google. Clarify which iOS you’re on and I’ll help find some for you. In the mean time this might get you started. (Things may look and function differently on your phone depending on your iOS version. The newest being 12.0.1) I chose this video because of the commonality you’ll find in many of the functions and features whatever iOS version you’re using.

Edited by Larstrup

The video was very helpful. However, as I was about to start it, a message came up on my phone screen saying that installation of OS 12 was about to start, and so I waited for it to install, and started the video again, but my screen was now somewhat different, so I will have to start over and probably find a newer video. But thank you so much Larstrup for giving me a place to get started.