Monopoly Tokens

Avalon
This topic is 2088 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was first introduced to Monopoly by the girl who lived next door. We were regular playmates. I think I was about 7 yo. She had a very old set, maybe from the 1930s-40s. They didn't have the metal playing pieces then. The houses and hotels were wood and the playing pieces were generic playing pieces in different colors of plastic.

I was watching "The $100,000 Pyramid". Monopoly tokens came up... I was surprised to find out that some tokens have been replaced... I always chose the cannon as my token.

Good choice … an erect phallic symbol of devastating firepower … what little boy wouldn't want to be the cannon? (Especially if he worried that he might be a bit of a thimble.)

356825619825f654ade0aafbacee923f.jpg

I was always the thimble and the banker since we always played with my game.

Oops. Sorry, Boomer. :oops:

I never had a favorite piece, but was the banker almost every time we played.

Next year will be my 35th year working in banking. My first job? Counting currency in the cash vault.

My very first job when I moved to San Francisco nearly thirty years ago was managing a a small walk-up cafe right in front of BofA's main vault at Market and VanNess. Almost all of our business came from vault employees. They told me about the strict security and how easy it was to get fired. Didn't sound desirable to me at all.

My very first job when I moved to San Francisco nearly thirty years ago was managing a a small walk-up cafe right in front of BofA's main vault at Market and VanNess. Almost all of our business came from vault employees. They told me about the strict security and how easy it was to get fired. Didn't sound desirable to me at all.

I worked for a mid-sized (small by today's standards) institution in Chicago that had a couple of niches, one of which was vault services. We had about half the currency exchanges (check cashing companies), dozens of small banks, several retailers and fast-food places, and assorted other businesses. We also counted coin and tokens for the Chicago Transit Authority. It was actually a fun environment. There were cameras everywhere, of course, and an entry system that looked like the intro to Get Smart. When a client reported a shortage all involved would get polygraphed. In the three years I worked there fewer than five people were fired. We rarely had shortages.

I worked for a mid-sized (small by today's standards) institution in Chicago that had a couple of niches, one of which was vault services. We had about half the currency exchanges (check cashing companies), dozens of small banks, several retailers and fast-food places, and assorted other businesses. We also counted coin and tokens for the Chicago Transit Authority. It was actually a fun environment. There were cameras everywhere, of course, and an entry system that looked like the intro to Get Smart. When a client reported a shortage all involved would get polygraphed. In the three years I worked there fewer than five people were fired. We rarely had shortages.

I had to deposit the previous day's receipts at the merchant's window in the B of A branch adjacent to the vault. One time I was counting my money after getting back from the bank and I had $500.00 too much. I counted and recounted because I couldn't believe a merchant teller would make that kind of error, but she had. I went back over with the $500.00 and tried to be as discreet as possible because I knew she could get in trouble. She refused to believe that she had given me $500.00 too much. I said "I'm telling you, this is your money. I have $500.00 too much." It turned out she had made a $500.00 error and got written up for it.

Regarding counting the money were their machines that did that?

Regarding counting the money were their machines that did that?

Yes, there were bill counters, but at the time the counters were not sophisticated enough to take a pile of bills and sort as they counted, so the teller would feed in the ones, then the fives and so forth. However, the counters did not work so well on old or soiled bills. Mc Donald's had to be counted by hand, especially the deposits that consisted of breakfast shifts.

EDIT: Coin was sorted and counted by machine. Currency was hand-sorted and machine counted. Also, most vault tellers would count by hand and verify by machine. That way, if the deposit was incorrect they would not have to retrieve the bills from the counter so someone could validate the deposit. This was 1984, so technology was not quite what it is today.

Edited by rvwnsd

I had to deposit the previous day's receipts at the merchant's window in the B of A branch adjacent to the vault. One time I was counting my money after getting back from the bank and I had $500.00 too much. I counted and recounted because I couldn't believe a merchant teller would make that kind of error, but she had. I went back over with the $500.00 and tried to be as discreet as possible because I knew she could get in trouble. She refused to believe that she had given me $500.00 too much. I said "I'm telling you, this is your money. I have $500.00 too much." It turned out she had made a $500.00 error and got written up for it.

One of the banks we serviced was The Evanston Bank. Each night, each teller at that bank would balance their drawer, seal their deposit, and the armored car collected all of the deposits to be transported to our bank. To this day I remember teller #3 at The Evanston Bank. Every single day teller #3's deposit was either over or short. We finally had to count their deposits in dual custody so there would be a witness that the deposit was short. One day, after several calls from the vault manager, their account manager at our bank, and the cashier of our bank there was no bag from teller #3. The next day, the day after, and so forth no bag from teller #3. We finally asked what had happened and were informed that teller #3 was no longer with that bank. From then on their deposits were perfect.