British "Exit" Signs

Avalon
This topic is 2077 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those pictograms might be considered sexist as the female one is often shown wearing a skirt.

You should abandon this spurious concern sooner, rather than later. It is doubtful a movement to replace exit signage will occur anytime soon, nor shall we start using prams or lorries. But you can always personally address your concern with the “dumbing down” of America by taking a second or even third look before you post about some of the topics you find so fascinating.

You should abandon this spurious concern sooner, rather than later. It is doubtful a movement to replace exit signage will occur anytime soon, nor shall we start using prams or lorries. But you can always personally address your concern with the “dumbing down” of America by taking a second or even third look before you post about some of the topics you find so fascinating.

Thank-you for the kind words.

Thank-you for the kind words.

I can sense the sarcasm in your statement, but let me officially state that my comments above are meant to be direct rather than kind. If you are going to post obnoxious comments about your dislike of other cultures and couch your comments as some sort of faux concern about the “dumbing down” of our country, then you should prepare to read some alternate viewpoints. Especially since you may not be aware of the cultural backgrounds of other posters on this forum, and what sort of personal hurdles they and their families have had to overcome to be considered “American.”

I can sense the sarcasm in your statement, but let me officially state that my comments above are meant to be direct rather than kind. If you are going to post obnoxious comments about your dislike of other cultures and couch your comments as some sort of faux concern about the “dumbing down” of our country, then you should prepare to read some alternate viewpoints. Especially since you may not be aware of the cultural backgrounds of other posters on this forum, and what sort of personal hurdles they and their families have had to overcome to be considered “American.”

I love to study the culture and history and languages of other people and cultures and countries. I was a history major in school - Latin America, Asia, Russia, Native American & etc..

Foreign languages I took Spanish, French, Russian, German, Latin, Italian, Portuguese, Swahili, Punjabi.

I love to study the culture and history and languages of other people and cultures and countries. I was a history major in school - Latin America, Asia, Russia, Native American & etc..

Foreign languages I took Spanish, French, Russian, German, Latin, Italian, Portuguese, Swahili, Punjabi.

What happened? It didn't take.

What happened? It didn't take.

I take sides in history and they are not usually the popular side. Like in Mexico I favored the Emperors Agustin and Maximilian. And later President Porfirio Diaz. I despise Juarez the regicide. I like Hernando Cortes. Imo his exploits rivaled those of Alexander!

I'm very fond of Czar Nicholas II.

Funny thing is, in much of the rest of the English-speaking world people will call the adoption of US terms 'dumbing down'. I assume they are joking.

Without being in a place where I can confirm, here signs saying 'Exit' are the standard as safety signs. Sometime the doors above which they appear will have signs saying 'In Case of Emergency' or some such. If you're at a railway station, the information signs will often say 'Way Out to [George Street]'.

I recall posting an image here of a picture of one of those information labels on products with flags for the languages being used. There was a Union Flag labelled 'English' and an American flag labelled 'Simplified English'.