Burger King Delivers

Avalon
This topic is 2080 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's taxi service use it to finally get out of your aptment for haircut, not freaking burger.

I would not to be able to get outside to the taxi. My legs would collapse beneath me. I can barely walk around my apartment.

I have my bed. I have my comfy chair in the living room. And awhile back I put a chair in the kitchen because I can not stand too long.

When I walk I clutch furniture and hug the walls.

Edited by Avalon

Medicare covers some....wheelchair would get you out to a cab and a doc visit

Thanks!

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11046-Medicare-Wheelchair-Scooter.pdf

The problem is the last

"– You can use the equipment within your home (for example, it’s not too big to fit through doorways in your home or blocked by floor surfaces or things in its path). You pay 20% of the Medicare-approved"

I'm not sure about anything with wheels; I'm afraid I might push it too quickly and lose my balance. That said it would fit my apartment.

...I am considering getting a metal walker.

When I lived in San Diego I woke up one morning in terrible pain. It took me almost an hour to get out of bed and stand up. First thing I did was go to Goodwill and get a walker for about $5.

This same problem continued when I visited my Portland condo. But, I didn't bring my walker with me. Again, it was a trip to Salvation Army and this walker was $6.

Also went to the thrift shops for canes. I keep one in the house and use it instead of grabbing the walls or furniture. I keep another in my SUV for when I go shopping. I'm now past the walker stage but still rely on the canes for those days when I'm not stable on my feet.

Another device I suggest is getting a toilet seat extension with arms. On Labor Day I lost my balance getting off the toilet and my right side collided with the granite vanity (cracked a couple of ribs) and I dropped to the floor. The vanity was too high to help me get up. So, I ended up crawling to the bedroom and was able to use the bed to pull myself up.

The next morning I got a toilet seat extension with arms. It cost $35 and installed with no tools in 5 minutes. Didn't even have to remove the old toilet seat. Haven't had any more problems and I really like I got the model with arms.

When I lived in San Diego I woke up one morning in terrible pain. It took me almost an hour to get out of bed and stand up. First thing I did was go to Goodwill and get a walker for about $5.

This same problem continued when I visited my Portland condo. But, I didn't bring my walker with me. Again, it was a trip to Salvation Army and this walker was $6.

Also went to the thrift shops for canes. I keep one in the house and use it instead of grabbing the walls or furniture. I keep another in my SUV for when I go shopping. I'm now past the walker stage but still rely on the canes for those days when I'm not stable on my feet.

Another device I suggest is getting a toilet seat extension with arms. On Labor Day I lost my balance getting off the toilet and my right side collided with the granite vanity (cracked a couple of ribs) and I dropped to the floor. The vanity was too high to help me get up. So, I ended up crawling to the bedroom and was able to use the bed to pull myself up.

The next morning I got a toilet seat extension with arms. It cost $35 and installed with no tools in 5 minutes. Didn't even have to remove the old toilet seat. Haven't had any more problems and I really like I got the model with arms.

Thanks! I have the Life Alert system hooked up in case I fall. I've had it since 1 May. I wear the button on a string around my neck 24/7.

Or if there's a fire?

~Boomer~

Good question! I'd use the back of a dining room chair like a walker. I'd get to the front door. Once outside I'd have to sit down else my legs would give way. I'd then repeat but every few feet I would have to sit down.

Avalon, do you have a Rollator? It is much easier and may help you get out of the house if you had proper walker that was fitted for you instead of a makeshift dining chair.

Thanks! Not familiar the term. Just did a google. They look like I'd have to bend / lean forward a little to grasp the handles and walk.

Avalon, do you have a Rollator? It is much easier and may help you get out of the house if you had proper walker that was fitted for you instead of a makeshift dining chair.

It’s free in Canada for a low end version. My dad paid a little more to get a nicer one. It has brakes and a little seat for you to sit on when you get tired. He has one indoors and another in the car for him to use if he needs it. It is very helpful for those with mobility issues to get out and about.