Have you ever been a Good Samaritan?

caramelsub
This topic is 2087 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If you saw someone being harmed, or hurt by someone, particularly in a public place, would you try stop the person? What if they had a weapon, would you run away? Call the cops? Three years ago I witnessed a woman being smothered by a man in a public fast food restaurant. I had no idea how to react. Because I didn’t want the man to come after me.

It is just about impossible to predict one's behavior in such circumstances because of the variables. In the above scenario, if the woman were a loved-one of yours, you would have been inspired to intervene whether the man had a weapon or not. Also, in the above scenario, it was incumbent upon the personnel of the fast food restaurant to raise an alarm and call the police.

I have had numerous occasions when I stopped to help somebody or give first aid or drive them to the hospital.

I had one occasion when I was walking through a crummy part of town. A block or so away, I saw two young guys assaulting an old drunk. One was holding him with his arms pinned and the other was punching him in the face repeatedly. I thought, "I have to stop this somehow, "and I started walking faster in that direction wondering what I could do. Fortunately, a couple cop cars pulled up and intervened. I was very relieved.

Many many years on tv there was a mini-series "I Know My First Name Is Steven" based on a real life store about a boy who had been kidnapped by a pedophile and lived with him for several years. Next day driving to work I passed a car parked by the curb and several males were forcing a teenage boy into the back seat. He was struggling, fighting back. When I got to work I called the police. I was told that I was not the only call.