Off to the South of France

MartyB
This topic is 2064 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey MartyB have a fantastic trip and be safe. I'm leaving on the 22nd for a three week drive through Burgundy and the Loire Valley; doing the wine thing in Burgundy and the wine and chateau thing in the Loire.

Doing Bordeaux a year from now lol. Thanks my friend enjoy your trip as well. Xoxo

Hey MartyB have a fantastic trip and be safe. I'm leaving on the 22nd for a three week drive through Burgundy and the Loire Valley; doing the wine thing in Burgundy and the wine and chateau thing in the Loire.

Be careful to not drive around slightly (or completely) drunk.

It is difficult to organise such a trip and avoid it altogether.

Edited by Tarte Gogo

Back in the 60's I spent two years there as a grad student; in spite of the anti-French sentiments among a number of Americans, I love that country and its people. Virtually every area is a photographer's dream, and I don't think there is even a small village without a very good cafe. Enjoy your trips, and I strongly suggest sampling some of the Gallic boys as well as ghe food.

Believe it or not, a woman who is a long time friend and travel buddy. We've rented apartments in various European cities and taken a couple extensive driving excursions. We are both foodies and art nuts so we travel well together.

If you make it to Deauville they have a remarkable market one day a week.

• 2 weeks later...
I just went and cannot wait to venture out there again! I stayed in Paris and had a day trip to Normandy. Enjoy your trip!

Took this trip several years ago in early fall and it was fabulous. The trip to Normandy was truly humbling....to walk out onto Omaha Beach, Pointe du Hoc, and visit the American Cemetery were tremendous opportunities to come in contact with an area of such tremendous world history. Having family who fought and were prisoners of war in WWII, it is an experience I will never forget it. Wish more people were able to make that trip.

I’m jealous. I was stationed just outside Orleans and one of the last troops DeGaulle kicked out in 1967. Off-duty I took music lessons at the Conservatoire and sang in a local group. I made many friends there. I had a car and did the Normandy tour even staying overnight on Le Mont Sant Michel (sp?).

For our 15th anniversary, my partner and I were going to France so I could show him around. We even got the tickets. But I became sick - out of work for 3 months - so the tickets went to waste. We’re nearing our 30th and haven’t made it yet. Got to Italy, Eastern Europe and last year Germany and Austria. I’d still love to show him France but worry that after so much time away my magical memories will succumb to present reality.