Skin Care

Guest europeanman
This topic is 2080 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest europeanman
That's why I went the K-skincare route. But it's not 'impossible' to avoid... Like reading nutritional labels, it just takes some research and discipline.

There are many other quality skincare brands that haven't been swallowed up yet: Malin & Goetz, ReVive, Aesop and- one of my favorites- The Ordinary.

I still like some big company brands: SK-II (owned by P&G) continues to make great product.

I thought I knew/tried every skin care brand, but I never heard of these (except The ordinary).

By the way, can you suggest a zinc sunblock with close to 20% concentration that does not leave a white cast?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I knew/tried every skin care brand, but I never heard of these (except The ordinary).

By the way, can you suggest a zinc sunblock with close to 20% concentration that does not leave a white cast?

The best zinc oxide based SPF isn't cheap, but it also doesn't leave you with a dusty clown face either. I've tried a lot of the cheaper ones (Neutrogena, CeraVe) and they always left my skin color looking a little funny.

This La Roche-Posay isn't cheap, but it blends in perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/Roche-Posay-Anthelios-Ultra-Light-Mineral-Sunscreen/dp/B007U54P36/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536813909&sr=8-3&keywords=la%2Broche%2Bposay%2Bmineral%2Bsunscreen&th=1

Bare Minerals also makes a great mineral SPF:

https://www.amazon.com/bareMinerals-Mineral-Shield-Daily-Lotion/dp/B01ETSLIO0/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536813975&sr=8-1&keywords=bare+minerals+prep+step+mineral+shield

Dermalogica doesn't blend in quite as quickly, but it's no chopped liver:

https://www.amazon.com/Dermalogica-Sensitive-Shield-Sunscreen-Lotion/dp/B007SPQA36/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536814045&sr=8-1&keywords=dermatologica+super+sensitive+shield

Guest europeanman
The best zinc oxide based SPF isn't cheap, but it also doesn't leave you with a dusty clown face either. I've tried a lot of the cheaper ones (Neutrogena, CeraVe) and they always left my skin color looking a little funny.

This La Roche-Posay isn't cheap, but it blends in perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/Roche-Posay-Anthelios-Ultra-Light-Mineral-Sunscreen/dp/B007U54P36/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536813909&sr=8-3&keywords=la+roche+posay+mineral+sunscreen&th=1

Bare Minerals also makes a great mineral SPF:

https://www.amazon.com/bareMinerals-Mineral-Shield-Daily-Lotion/dp/B01ETSLIO0/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536813975&sr=8-1&keywords=bare+minerals+prep+step+mineral+shield

Dermalogica doesn't blend in quite as quickly, but it's no chopped liver:

https://www.amazon.com/Dermalogica-Sensitive-Shield-Sunscreen-Lotion/dp/B007SPQA36/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536814045&sr=8-1&keywords=dermatologica+super+sensitive+shield

Thank you, I ll look at them.

By the way LRP is not expensive in Europe, BUT the do not sell the zinc sunscreen... Most of their sunscreens are chemical and some are a combination of chemical plus Titanium.

I have very oily skin, which is great for looking youthful, but not so wonderful when it comes to my colossal pores. I just switched up my routine a bit, so now I chemically exfoliate (BHA and AHA) twice a day and use a charcoal mask as the first step in my evening routine.

Morning:

Cream cleanser

Toner

BHA

AHA

Retinol

serum

Light, oil-free moisturizer

Evening:

Mask

Cream cleanser

Toner

BHA

AHA

Retinol

undereye moisturizer

Gel moisturizer (thicker than what I use in the morning)

I thought the twice a day exfoliating would be too harsh on my skin, but it’s working well so far and I just give it a break for a day if my skin is feeling too irritated.

I do. While I’m in my mid-40’s it helps being Asian. But I use sunblock a lot especially when I’m playing tennis. I make sure my skin is always clean, not just the face. I use unscented over the counter lotion for daily moisture throughout my body. For the face, I use a mild sunblock during the day - Jack Black. In the evening I use the Cerave night lightweight moisturizer. From time to time I get mild breakouts especially after eating anything with nuts. I use tea tree oil to eliminate my breakouts. Add it to the Palmer cocoa body oil and it keeps my skin clear and moisturized at the same time.

But nothing beats getting enough rest and staying hydrated. I can tell right away if I haven’t had enough water to drink. And I eat a lot more greens and fruits. IMO beauty starts from the inside. Whatever you put inside is more important than what you put outside. I actually help my body recover from playing tennis all morning by drinking a 100% green juice and lots of water. And really, if you want to look younger you’d have to limit your sun exposure. You can still enjoy it but in small doses. You’d have to start the regimen early on too. Whatever it is you do helps but if the damage is done then there’s really very little you can do to reverse it. You can improve it but not necessarily look the way you did 5, 10, or so years ago. A friend of mine goes for botox and even that it doesn’t help.

Guest europeanman
[uSER=19303]@europeanman[/uSER] , I’m very pleased with simply using almond oil.

I am sure you know there are so many options, By the way there is a very powerful ingredient from almonds called mandelic acid. It is an AHA and works miracles :)

Guest europeanman

I just had a long lazy Saturday lunch with one of my best friends who is extremely good looking and 29 yo. He told me that he will start doing regularly chemical peels, botox and fillers, in preparation for his 30th birthday next summer. And he asked me to introduce him to my plastic. He is flawless does not need it, but he is determined.

My issue with skin care products and I have tried many is that after a while they bother my eyes. It's very strange. So I am still in search of something that I can use that won't do so. It may just be my eyes are overly sensitive to most products out there even when I am careful and make sure I don't apply anything near them.

I am sure you know there are so many options, By the way there is a very powerful ingredient from almonds called mandelic acid. It is an AHA and works miracles :)

Mandelic acids are fantastic for people who have sensitive skin and can't handle harder chemicals:

https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-mandelic-acid-10pct-ha-30ml?redir=1

I'm also a huge fan of Azelaic acid. It's a nice change for when your skin gets used to AHA/BHA (and it does).

https://theordinary.com/product/rdn-azelaic-acid-suspension-10pct-30ml?redir=1

@bloop: Even with oily skin, what you're describing would be considered over-cleaning/exfoliation by most derms. In doing this, you actually force your skin into producing more sebum, as your epidermis goes into fight or flight mode. Be careful as to how long you keep this current skincare routine. It might seem like it's working, but long term, it will damage your skin.

I am sorry to be contrarian.

My dermatologist who is a professor at NYU told me this: the ONLY things that help are (1) good genetics and (2) staying out of the sun. He added that all OTC beauty products are basically expensive crap that don't yield any long term results. You are wasting your money.

The only things I use are Neutrogena soap (for washing, shampooing and shaving) and Kiehls sunblock when I do go to the beach. Occasionally I use Hermes Poivre de Samarcande but that is a perfume and not a skin care product.

Guest europeanman

My dermatologist who is a professor at NYU told me this: the ONLY things that help are (1) good genetics and (2) staying out of the sun. He added that all OTC beauty products are basically expensive crap that don't yield any long term results. You are wasting your money.

The only things I use are Neutrogena soap (for washing, shampooing and shaving) and Kiehls sunblock when I do go to the beach. Occasionally I use Hermes Poivre de Samarcande but that is a perfume and not a skin care product.

yes and no. derms swear for sunscreens, prescription retinoids and acids.

Guest europeanman
I have very oily skin, which is great for looking youthful, but not so wonderful when it comes to my colossal pores. I just switched up my routine a bit, so now I chemically exfoliate (BHA and AHA) twice a day and use a charcoal mask as the first step in my evening routine.

Morning:

Cream cleanser

Toner

BHA

AHA

Retinol

serum

Light, oil-free moisturizer

Evening:

Mask

Cream cleanser

Toner

BHA

AHA

Retinol

undereye moisturizer

Gel moisturizer (thicker than what I use in the morning)

I thought the twice a day exfoliating would be too harsh on my skin, but it’s working well so far and I just give it a break for a day if my skin is feeling too irritated.

I think this is too much. Why don't you see a dermatologist to help you with your routine? Scrap the toner and the retinol in the morning. Retinol does not work with sunlight. And don't use acids and retinol on the same day.

My dermatologist who is a professor at NYU told me this: the ONLY things that help are (1) good genetics and (2) staying out of the sun. He added that all OTC beauty products are basically expensive crap that don't yield any long term results. You are wasting your money

OTC beauty creams, yes, are usually overpriced junk. However, retinoids/acids are not in that category.

Staying out of the sun, not smoking and drinking plenty of water are tops for longterm skin health... And when a topical stops working as well as you want it to, things like Botox/Dysport and Juvederm/Restylane have been proven to pick up the slack.

I think this is too much. Why don't you see a dermatologist to help you with your routine? Scrap the toner and the retinol in the morning. Retinol does not work with sunlight. And don't use acids and retinol on the same day.

Ehh, those are both misconceptions according to my research. I’ll see a dermatologist if I experience adverse consequences from my routine.

OTC beauty creams, yes, are usually overpriced junk. However, retinoids/acids are not in that category.

Staying out of the sun, not smoking and drinking plenty of water are tops for longterm skin health... And when a topical stops working as well as you want it to, things like Botox/Dysport and Juvederm/Restylane have been proven to pick up the slack.

I don't think topical products are any good for lines, wrinkles and sagging skin, but they can certainly improve the appearance of the skin surface. I had a friend a long time ago, I nice-looking actor/model/waiter. The modeling agency he worked with required him to use Erno Lazlo skincare products which he purchased through them at a discount. He had nice enough skin, but he had the minor imperfections that anybody does. I was amazed at the change in the appearance of his skin after using the Lazlo products for a few months. He looked really good.

Prescription retinoids like Taz and Retin A have been shown to work long term for anti aging and acne.

Many people also need a cleanser that works but doesn’t dry out your skin. Soaps are too strong for me.

I am a blue eyed redhead with very fair sensitive skin. When I was younger I went to an aesthetician for a facial every month. She sold me very expensive products from a French line called Decléor. The products were pleasant, smelled nice, and were naturally sourced. I felt that my skin looked better. In my 50s I began experiencing more sensitivity and began going to a dermatologist. He looked at my Decléor products and told me I was having a reaction to the ingredients. He also told me that expensive products were a waste of money. The only things that he said were helpful were sunscreen an ceramides. Sunscreen to prevent further sun damage, ceramides to restore your skins lipid barrier.

Today I use a moisturizer with SPF 30 and Ceramides from Cerave which I buy at Target for about $12, and their SA cleanser (salicylic acid), which helps with exfoliation but does not irritate. The products are unscented and even my sensitive “redhead skin” tolerates them without irritation. If you are younger, make sure you wear sunscreen everyday. I have had two Basal cell carcinomas removed from my face and it was not pleasant. My dermatologist told me that they were the result of skin damage from sun exposure in my 20s and 30s.

Prescription retinoids like Taz and Retin A have been shown to work long term for anti aging and acne.

Many people also need a cleanser that works but doesn’t dry out your skin. Soaps are too strong for me.

And toners are mainly useless nowadays.

They are a throwback to a time when soaps left a ton of residue.

I used to used Ivory soap but my doctor suggested I use a frilly soap so now I use one of the Dove scented soaps.

Scented soaps are problematic. It's the engineered scent that tends to cause skin issues.

I'd recommend Dove, but the unscented 'sensitive skin' formula.

https://www.dove.com/us/en/washing-and-bathing/beauty-bar/sensitive-skin-beauty-bar.html

Scented soaps are problematic. It's the engineered scent that tends to cause skin issues.

I'd recommend Dove, but the unscented 'sensitive skin' formula.

https://www.dove.com/us/en/washing-and-bathing/beauty-bar/sensitive-skin-beauty-bar.html

Thank-you! I hadn't realized. I have so many bars of soap at home I hope to remember what you shared the next time I buy some.

I just read that Aveda discontinued my favorite soap - their "refreshing, cleansing bar." My next favorite is Yardley Oatmeal Almond soap. And of course, there's always Neutrogena.

Guest europeanman

To add to the soap discussion, avoid soaps and bars of soap. Bars are unhygienic and disgusting. Soap is alkaline. Our skin is acidic. Try to find a liquid cleanser that is slightly more acidic than our skin. The same for shampoos. Most shampoos are alkaline, find one with low Ph. Fragrance is an irritant, avoid any fragranced products.

Going back to facial cleansers try one with glycolic acid at low concentration, up to 10%, and a low Ph around 3.5. Not the ones that say "Ph balanced". Apply on moist, not wet skin, leave for a couple of minutes and rinse. This is like a mini chemical peel every morning. You ll see a glowing radiant skin after a few days.

PS. You will probably not find these type of products at the cosmetics counter or at the supermarkets. Look at cosmeceuticals.