Delta almost free tickets to Zurich

tassojunior
This topic is 2063 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Delta Sky Miles (Sky Pesos) got a bad rap for good reason. Horrible redemption values. Then they dropped their reward charts. However lately that's turned out good as they have incredibly cheap specials pop up.

Right now on their nonstops from JFK to Zurich from late September to May (I think) many days it's as low as 22,000 miles roundtrip. (It has to be roundtrip.) Fees are just $50 total. There are other low mileage redemptions to other cities from JFK but not quite as low. There are other specials from several cities to Sydney and Shangai (60K roundtrip).

I'm booking 2 trips to Zurich for 24K miles roundtrip each. Swiss air and other carriers have plenty of cheap flights to other cities. I know Vueling has flights to Prague often for $55 total. (That's how the guys travel). Wish I could talk some of them into coming over. If nothing else it's worth it for a few days at Patagonya.

Normally the lowest roundtrip to Zurich is 60K and those are hard to find. Normally to Asia it's 60K miles each way. (I'm not keen on steerage for 24 hours). Membership Rewards points from AmEx can be transferred to Delta and right now the $195 Platinum Delta charge card gives 70,000 miles and the free-first-year Gold Delta card gives 60,000 miles. That's 2 or 3 roundtrips to Europe.

update: These tickets book in regular economy, not basic economy, so you get 1 free 50lb suitcase.

Edited by tassojunior

Delta Sky Miles (Sky Pesos) got a bad rap for good reason. Horrible redemption values. Then they dropped their reward charts. However lately that's turned out good as they have incredibly cheap specials pop up.

Right now on their nonstops from JFK to Zurich from late September to May (I think) many days it's as low as 22,000 miles roundtrip. (It has to be roundtrip.) Fees are just $50 total. There are other low mileage redemptions to other cities from JFK but not quite as low. There are other specials from several cities to Sydney and Shangai (60K roundtrip).

I'm booking 2 trips to Zurich for 24K miles roundtrip each. Swiss air and other carriers have plenty of cheap flights to other cities. I know Vueling has flights to Prague often for $55 total. (That's how the guys travel). Wish I could talk some of them into coming over. If nothing else it's worth it for a few days at Patagonya.

Normally the lowest roundtrip to Zurich is 60K and those are hard to find. Normally to Asia it's 60K miles each way. (I'm not keen on steerage for 24 hours).

Damn! Just grabbed a pair of tix. Thank you !

Normally the lowest roundtrip to Zurich is 60K and those are hard to find. Normally to Asia it's 60K miles each way. (I'm not keen on steerage for 24 hours). Membership Rewards points from AmEx can be transferred to Delta and right now the $195 Platinum Delta charge card gives 70,000 miles and the free-first-year Gold Delta card gives 60,000 miles. That's 2 or 3 roundtrips to Europe.

Yeah, I got roundtrip from LAX to Barcelona for 28,000 miles round trip for New Years. It was a steal of a deal.

Fantastic offers. I would note that JFK to Sydney is roughly three times as far as JFK to Zurich.

Fantastic offers. I would note that JFK to Sydney is roughly three times as far as JFK to Zurich.

Even better, many US cities to Sydney is 50,000 Skymiles roundtrip. (But steerage). Australia is extremely expensive to get to from the US (as I'm sure you know). I think 80,000 miles one-way is normal.

https://thepointsguy.com/deals/delta-flash-sale-australia-50000-skymiles/

Zurich is about as far as I can handle in back of a plane. With over-capacity to Zurich and low season I get the next-to- last row aisle and usually end up with 2 or 3 seats to sleep across. I don't know if there are ever any empty seats to Australia.

And while I love the blokes at Surfers and Cairns, there's no Patagonya in Australia.

Edited by tassojunior

Update-I, got 2 10-day trips to Zurich from DCA for 26K each RT. One in late October, one in mid March. Zurich has $50 flights to Prague on Vueling or I may end up somewhere else. I'd need a 2nd mortgage to pay Zurich hotels for 20 days. Nothing was open around Christmas when I like to go.

There were also many RT's from DCA to Athens for 46K miles RT, a great deal too.

Update-I, got 2 10-day trips to Zurich from DCA for 26K each RT. One in late October, one in mid March. Zurich has $50 flights to Prague on Vueling or I may end up somewhere else. I'd need a 2nd mortgage to pay Zurich hotels for 20 days. Nothing was open around Christmas when I like to go.

There were also many RT's from DCA to Athens for 46K miles RT, a great deal too.

Good finds! Kudos.

• 4 weeks later...