SF pride-just toooooo damned big!

bigguyinpasadena
This topic is 6544 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The parade was ok-first SF pride parade I have seen in over 10 years probably.

But the carnival has just gotten too damned large and the crowds are too big and the noise level from the 6(!?!)stages too painful.

Or maybe I am just becoming a grumpy old man!

There were a lot of cuties,and a lot of freaks(g-d bless em)and wayyyy too many straight folks.Glad I went-but do not feel the need to make it an annual trip.

The BART train from SFO is great-and I love SFO airport.

Could tell who had been celebrating this weekend on the plane this morning.

Was nice to catch up with some friends :7

At least you didn't get soaked like the New York parade-goers did! At least you weren't stuck in 117 degree weather in the desert!

At least you didn't jump off of a 42d story ledge like one prominent lesbian did...

The latter story is one of the sad ironies of the day, as the Chancellor of the University of California Santa Cruz campus, a lesbian, jumped to her death in San Francisco on Pink Saturday, a day when lesbians from the Bay Area celebrated pride. The chancellor, in her forties, was depressed apparently because she was in trouble for augmenting her $300,000 a year salary with a half a million dollars in improvements to her university-paid home. She had also hired her lover to a $200,000 a year post at the university, along with a $50,000 annual housing allowance. The criticism was apparently just too much.

Guest Jesse Dane

wtf does the chancellor jumping have to do with how big SF pride is? lol

But anyways...this was my first year being in SF for pride. It was huge, but I liked it. I prefer a bit too much compared to NYC's festival of nothing. I'm very ready for all the out of towners to leave though and give me my neighborhood back.

RE: SF pride-more than just about size!

Irony, Jesse. The appointment of a lesbian to such a high position said a lot for the advancement of gay people. Her tragic demise, coming as it did on Pink Saturday when she could have been celebrating with thousands of lesbians in the Castro, was worth noting, at least to me. Now put your finger back in your butt...I liked that pic!:)

Guest Jesse Dane

> Now put your finger

>back in your butt...I liked that pic!:)

But I'd rather have someone elses finger in my butt. :9

However, any such criticism would seem to be directed at the size of the expenditures and at the nepotism. A straight chancellor would have been equally criticized at UC Santa Cruz for that kind of behavior!

As for the SF Gay Pride Parade, be glad then you didn't go to the one in São Paulo, which with some 2.5 million in attendance has become the world's largest! But I have bad news -- you're becoming a grumpy old man! So have I!!! Somehow, the thrill of being in gigantic crowds, whether Gay Pride, Carnival, New Year's Eve, etc. has worn off. I just get claustrophobic, and dislike the pushing and shoving that goes with being in such massive groups of people. I enjoy it all more on TV!!! Welcome to the club!

RE: SF pride

I am not sure I see your point, tri. Of course a straight person would have been criticized as well. I was just pointing out the irony of the suicide occuring on such a day of celebration.

(BTW, I note that you have passed the 4000 post mark. Thanks for your contributions here in the MC.)

>But I'd rather have someone elses finger in my butt. :9

Me! Me! Me! <<waves hand in the air>>

Guest ReturnOfS

I heard about the story, but I didn't know that she was gay. That almost makes it feel worse since its kind of closer to home. It personalizes that story more for me.

Guest ReturnOfS

>The parade was ok-first SF pride parade I have seen in over

>10 years probably.

>But the carnival has just gotten too damned large and the

>crowds are too big and the noise level from the 6(!?!)stages

>too painful.

>Or maybe I am just becoming a grumpy old man!

>There were a lot of cuties,and a lot of freaks(g-d bless

>em)and wayyyy too many straight folks.Glad I went-but do not

>feel the need to make it an annual trip.

>The BART train from SFO is great-and I love SFO airport.

>Could tell who had been celebrating this weekend on the plane

>this morning.

>Was nice to catch up with some friends :7

Wow. I need to make sure that I go to San Francisco Pride sometime before I die.

It was a great time. I felt the crowds were not as thick as Folsom Street Fair or Halloween in the Castro. Of course, the Pride festivities at the Civic Center have more people that are spread out on more city blocks making it less congested. The Halloween in the Castro (before its current incarnation) was just awful -- out in front of the Castro Theatre you could be carried along by the mass of people with even having your feet on the ground.

I went to LA's Pride a few weeks ago and was surprised that it is (seemed) smaller than San Francisco.

All in all a great time...

Guest zipperzone

>>But I'd rather have someone elses finger in my butt. :9

>

>Me! Me! Me! <<waves hand in the air>>

It's gona costyuh

Archived