Q. Personal Trainers in NYC

Chad Constantine
This topic is 2117 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

do you need an on-going regular trainer or just somebody to help you navigate the gym one day and set you up with a daily plan?.......

if already a member at a gym, are you not interested in asking staff there?......

Yes, I really need an on-going regular trainer that just tells me what to do and watches that I am doing it correctly. Planet fitness did that daily plan thing and it didnt work. I need to go see someone until it becomes a habit I dont want to break. I thought I could just do the Planet fitness route and be fine but that really is not working at all.

are there trainers on staff at Planet available for hire?.....I know they sometimes are not really into it......it's good to find somebody really professional that you can click with and seems eager to help

When I have gone I have not seen anyone there and the employees are usually just behind the desk on their phone.

Yes, I really need an on-going regular trainer that just tells me what to do and watches that I am doing it correctly. Planet fitness did that daily plan thing and it didnt work. I need to go see someone until it becomes a habit I dont want to break. I thought I could just do the Planet fitness route and be fine but that really is not working at all.

i know a lot of people in the nyc fitness world and there are far more trainers out there than people looking for them, hehe - some more qualified than others. some work directly for a fitness center, some are freelance...

what are your goals? it is important to be as specific as possible (i.e., "i want to get in shape" is not a clear goal)... that is fundamental in finding someone who can help you.

i know a lot of people in the nyc fitness world and there are far more trainers out there than people looking for them, hehe - some more qualified than others. some work directly for a fitness center, some are freelance...

what are your goals? it is important to be as specific as possible (i.e., "i want to get in shape" is not a clear goal)... that is fundamental in finding someone who can help you.

So as specific as possible: I want to go from 200 to 150, lose the A cups, lose the belly and love handles, see a gap between my thighs, I definitely need balance training because I trip standing still. I would say my ideal body look would be a swimmer/gymnast build. I am already looking for a nutritionist through my insurance.

Edited by Chad Constantine

So as specific as possible: I want to go from 200 to 150, lose the A cups, lose the belly and love handles, see a gap between my thighs, I definitely need balance training because I trip standing still. I would say my ideal body look would be a swimmer/gymnast build. I am already looking for a nutritionist through my insurance.

Edited by Chad Constantine

no expert here, but, based on your stated goals just above, you may just need to start eating better and do some daily cardio (45-60 minutes of breathing hard) for a few months (or, better, for life).....weight training (the gym) is always a good thing, but it probably isn't the sole thing that will help you with your goals

also, have you talked to a doctor about your concerns?

no expert here, but, based on your stated goals just above, you may just need to start eating better and do some daily cardio (45-60 minutes of breathing hard) for a few months (or, better, for life).....weight training (the gym) is always a good thing, but it probably isn't the sole thing that will help you with your goals

Yes they tell me to lose some damn weight lol:D:D:D:D:D. At this point going to the gym is not fun and is a chore so I need someone that I know is waiting for me to give me the will to go. You kowwhat they say Leos love attention. Maybe in the future when I see results from the training I will get off on myself enough so going to gym isn't the worst thing since non-sliced bread lol:D:D:D .

Yes they tell me to lose some damn weight lol:D:D:D:D:D. At this point going to the gym is not fun and is a chore so I need someone that I know is waiting for me to give me the will to go. You kowwhat they say Leos love attention. Maybe in the future when I see results from the training I will get off on myself enough so going to gym isn't the worst thing since non-sliced bread lol:D:D:D .

First off, you deserve to be honored for your willingness to disclose your issues here openly on this forum.

Any person, no matter their level of fitness, needs to be conscious of nutrition... from newbies to wannabees to experts, nutrition is a huge issue in health and fitness. And it's not just of matter of "lose the damn weight" or "why don't you just eat less?" We ALL know it is far more complicated, much more deeply textured than just that.

I would say that you do not, at this point, need an "elite trainer" type... it would cost you too much for results you could better get from a good trainer who understands YOUR unique situation. That trainer also needs to do a close assessment of your current state, paying close attention to things that could de-rail you: i am thinking of joint issues, specifically, but since you also mention balance, that could be looked into as well.

I would predict that a good trainer is going to start you out with an effective cardio program.... one which is relatively low-impact but that is also realistic for you. (There is nothing more boring than an overly long and tedious spell on a treadmill!). Also, let's be honest: do you really want to pay the big bucks to a guy just to stand there and watch you do cardio?

Also, realize that muscle metabolizes calories more effectively than fat -- so s/he will also likely add some resistance training to your work-out. Nothing crazy -- but definitely something to get you up and moving, and probably struggle a little. The holy trinity: squats, deads, bench presses -- may not be right for you immediately,but there are exercises a trainer knows that will prepare your body for these kind of complex, multi-joint strength building exercises. The absolute goal for you (I would say) is to increase the ratio of muscle to fat in your body...

Sorry if I go on too much. I may know someone who would be good for you, but would prefer to contact him first on your behalf. If you are interested, why not PM me.

Good luck from here in Bangkok --

Edited by nynakedtop

First off, you deserve to be honored for your willingness to disclose your issues here openly on this forum.

Any person, no matter their level of fitness, needs to be conscious of nutrition... from newbies to wannabees to experts, nutrition is a huge issue in health and fitness. And it's not just of matter of "lose the damn weight" or "why don't you just eat less?" We ALL know it is far more complicated, much more deeply textured than just that.

I would say that you do not, at this point, need an "elite trainer" type... it would cost you too much for results you could better get from a good trainer who understands YOUR unique situation. That trainer also needs to do a close assessment of your current state, paying close attention to things that could de-rail you: i am thinking of joint issues, specifically, but since you also mention balance, that could be looked into as well.

I would predict that a good trainer is going to start you out with an effective cardio program.... one which is relatively low-impact but that is also realistic for you. (There is nothing more boring than an overly long and tedious spell on a treadmill!). Also, let's be honest: do you really want to pay the big bucks to a guy just to stand there and watch you do cardio?

Also, realize that muscle metabolizes calories more effectively than fat -- so s/he will also likely add some resistance training to your work-out. Nothing crazy -- but definitely something to get you up and moving, and probably struggle a little. The holy trinity: squats, deads, bench presses -- may not be right for you immediately,but there are exercises a trainer knows that will prepare your body for these kind of complex, multi-joint strength building exercises. The absolute goal for you (I would say) is to increase the ratio of muscle to fat in your body...

Sorry if I go on too much. I may know someone who would be good for you, but would prefer to contact him first on your behalf. If you are interested, why not PM me.

Good luck from here in Bangkok --

Edited by nynakedtop

I sit all day for work and I'm at the "use it or lose it" stage of life. I noticed how clumsy and klutzy I was becoming, so I sought out a trainer just for that purpose. The gym matched me with a young woman who was studying to be a physical therapist. She designed a program of agility and joint mobility exercises that was outstanding, and it did help, a lot.