Reasonable price Restaurents in New York

Mac 100
This topic is 6560 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Can any of the members on this board help me.I am having a Holiday in New York from June 7th with some friends and was wondering if any of the guys here can recomend good value Restaurents.Used to go to the Town House on the East Side but this has now closed.Will it ever re open again?

Many thanks

Mac

Take a look at the archives at the Village Voice. They are dependable for reviews of cheap places. The Zagat for NYC is pretty reliable. One of my longtime favorites is the Barney Greenglass deli on the Upper West Side, which is near H&M Bagel. The Bakery, which near Union Square is very good for breakfast or a light lunch and has great brownies.

The Townhouse Restaurant on East 58 St. is closed for good.

Finding a reasonably priced restaurant here in NYC should not be a problem. Check out the Citysearch website. Their restaurant selections are always pretty good.

Looking for a gay restaurant or one with a predominatly gay clientele? Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen are the logical choices. Food Bar, Cafeteria, East of Eighth, Elmo, and Viceroy all have reasonably priced entrees and specials in Chelsea. In Hell's Kitchen, 44 & X, Comfort Diner, and Vynl. Beware the tourist traps in Times Sq, although everyone seems to enjoy Carmine's, but book for a Monday night, otherwise it's terribly crowded, and you never know who'll you'll see in Joe Allen's.

A little known gem in Soho, Le Jardin Bistro has one of the finest garden dining spots in the city. Fine french bistro food, but it's very popular in the summer, make a reservation (212-343-9599).

Finally, when you hit NYC, pick up copies of HX and NEXT magazines. They're free and can be found all over. They have restaurant listings and advertisements. They also have their own websites.

I'm sure it's long gone, but Sammy's Roumanian was always a great low-brow place to just put on the feed bag.

Sigh.

It was the only place I was ever served a ribeye steak with the rib still attached (and occupying much of the table) and it was highly possible it was just easier to serve it than to cut it off.

I miss that place!

If you're with a group, you want to have a good time and you don't want to spend an outrageous amount, I'd highly recommend Churascaria Plataforma which is midtown. It's a Brazilian barbeque place with great food (and huge amounts of it!). You start with an amazing salad bar sort of thing with every food imaginable and then waiters come by your table with all kinds of beef, pork, chicken, sausage, etc. as the main course. The place is a bargain with a fixed price of $49.00 per person. Try their special drink, the Caipirina, I think it's called.

Archived