Onions Are Toxic For Dogs

Avalon
This topic is 1148 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 2 years later...

Also garlic, leek, chives, shallots and any plant in a lily family

Add to the list citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, oranges, and grapefruit. They are too acidic for dogs to consume.

My dog shuns citrus anyway.

Dear Abby: A beautiful flower arrangement was delivered to me at my home today. While on the phone, I told my friend about the thoughtful gift and mentioned that my two cats wouldn’t leave it alone. She said, “I hope there aren’t any lilies in it!” There were, Abby — white oriental lilies. I Googled it and discovered they are very poisonous to cats, although not to other animals. When I called the florist, they claimed not to know. Thought your readers should!

— Loves my Felines

Dear Loves: I agree. And thank you for sharing that information. I learned from my own Google search that lilies are not the only flowers that are poisonous for pets. Azaleas, daffodils, amaryllis, chrysanthemums, tulips, oleander, hyacinth, English ivy, sago palm, cyclamen, autumn crocus, widow’s thrill, hydrangea, aloe vera, caladium, pothos, philodendron, lily of the valley, castor bean, poinsettia, asparagus fern, peace lily and corn plants can be lethal as well. Kitty lovers, be warned!

Just google "foods poisonous to dogs" to get a surprisingly long list. The ones I was unaware of were macadamia nuts & caffeine. Not that I ever planned on having morning coffee with my dog, but at least I knew that if I ever spilled some, I had to wipe it up immediately & make sure the dog didn't get near it.